uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 3 - North Dakota State

thrasher31

Surprised people aren’t discussing Banton more. We have one of the most unique players in the country. He’s special. Truly ambidextrous on the court. Point guards feel for the game at 6’9”. He’ll likely lead our team in assists and rebounds. He also seems like a great leader. Always talking on the court and encouraging teammates. 

13 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Surprised people aren’t discussing Banton more. We have one of the most unique players in the country. He’s special. Truly ambidextrous on the court. Point guards feel for the game at 6’9”. He’ll likely lead our team in assists and rebounds. He also seems like a great leader. Always talking on the court and encouraging teammates. 

I think people are recovering from yesterday and Thursday still. 

But I agree. The layup on the fast break was an unreal finish. His shot isn't bad either. It'll be interesting how he continues into big ten play. 

10 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

I know we're only three games in, but I've been disappointed with Yvan's inability to finish at the basket. So far he's shooting 28% (5/18) on the season, with just about all his shots coming from within two feet of the basket. 

I was honestly surprised his percentage was that high.  I thought it would be closer to 10-15%.  He’s still really young.  I’m not ready to give up on the young man.

I am very impressed with our team defense and defensive intensity.  At various points during the first three games you can see when we ratchet up the intensity and swarm our opponents.  This has led to much easier offense on the other end.  We still do not have the look of a great half court offensive team.  So maintaining defensive intensity and getting easy transition buckets is going to be key for this team going forward.

I have been surprised by the willingness of most observers to cut Yvan so much slack when he was 17 and then expect so much improvement at 18. As I recall, I didn't note a whole lot of physical or psychological difference in myself between age 17 and 18 (although I did manage to graduate from high school).

9 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I have been surprised by the willingness of most observers to cut Yvan so much slack when he was 17 and then expect so much improvement at 18. As I recall, I didn't note a whole lot of physical or psychological difference in myself between age 17 and 18 (although I did manage to graduate from high school).

We also have to remember that, because of Covid, he didn’t get the chance to be on campus all summer like most players do.

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I am very impressed with our team defense and defensive intensity.  At various points during the first three games you can see when we ratchet up the intensity and swarm our opponents.  This has led to much easier offense on the other end.  We still do not have the look of a great half court offensive team.  So maintaining defensive intensity and getting easy transition buckets is going to be key for this team going forward.

I agree wholeheartedly. Thru the 1st 3 games, this team’s offense definitely feeds off the defensive end. If they continue to be as active as they have been in games 1 & 3 and let that trigger the offense, I like where this is headed. I just hope they recognize it. 

15 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Do you happen to remember your leg hair situation between 17 and 18? Asking for a friend.

21 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I can only speak for myself here, but I just expected so much more from his development over the offseason. Especially after seeing the few videos he posted on social media. He looked much more explosive and his body was drastically transformed. I never expected him to be anything more that a solid role player in the post. But, I thought that would be on offense and defence. Now I'm not sure he ever develops much of an offense. I mean you can't get him any closer to the basket with the ball. And those hands are so bad. I am really down on him ever developing much more touch. I still believe he can develop into a solid role player, but now I think it will only be for rebounds and defense.

Edited by cornfed24-7
Sp

16 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I can only speak for myself here, but I just expected so much more from his development over the offseason. Especially after seeing the few videos he posted on social media. He looked much more explosive and his body was drastically transformed. I never expected him to be anything more that a solid role player in the post. But, I thought that would be on offense and defence. Now I'm not sure he ever develops much of an offense. I mean you can't get him any closer to the basket with the ball. And those hands are so bad. I am really down on him ever developing much more touch. I still believe he can develop into a solid role player, but now I think it will only be for rebounds and defense.

His body does look better.  Those videos didn’t have defenders either.  It’s a different ballgame when there are more people inside.

Also— he did all that “development” by himself in France.  So just imagine what Fred and company could do with a whole summer!

17 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

His body does look better.  Those videos didn’t have defenders either.  It’s a different ballgame when there are more people inside.

Also— he did all that “development” by himself in France.  So just imagine what Fred and company could do with a whole summer!

I am by no means ready to write him off. Those hands though. I just don't see that changing much regardless where he trains. My hopes there have been dashed. 

The Good:   We won.  Banton approached triple double territory.  When we are crisp in passing we look good.  We had only 10 turnovers and we got a bunch of steals. 

The Bad: Disappointed that we shot poorly from 3pt range again.   They can be 3's but they need to be in flow with the offense.   I think they are taking some shots too early in the offense.   We look good when we make that extra pass. 

The Ugly:   Outrebounded by NDSU.  

5 hours ago, BjoeHusker said:

I know we're only three games in, but I've been disappointed with Yvan's inability to finish at the basket. So far he's shooting 28% (5/18) on the season, with just about all his shots coming from within two feet of the basket. 

I certainly hope his minutes are completely taken by Andre and Walker. If not....

3 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

You form opinions on social media videos?