Offensive Identity...

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Teddy *seems* to take and miss a lot of bad shots from long range, while Lat *seems* to be deadly accurate.  That's what my eyeballs were telling me this week and it seems that is what your eyes were telling you too.  However, the statistics don't back that up.  Teddy is 6 for 19 from three (31.6%) while Lat is 8 for 22 (36.4%).  Small sample size obviously, but just based purely on the numbers neither had a great first three games from deep but they were still two of our top three shooters (Trey was tops at 40% from three).  Interestingly enough, Teddy is also within striking distance of having the highest overall FG% on the team at 47.4% (Webster is inching him out at 47.6% and Shamiel was an "en fuego" 66.7% from the floor).  It will be interesting to see how these numbers fluctuate as the data size expands, but at least from the early returns I think Teddy needs to have the green light from anywhere.  He is a far cry from 2-for-11, regardless of what it seems like.

As for Teddy's defense, yes he bites on passing lanes a lot and leaves his teammates playing 4 on 5 at times.  The flip side of that is that he has 1/3 of the team's steals (13 of our total 39) while no one else has more than 5.  I will take that tradeoff as long as he continues to create fast break chances off of defensive aggressiveness.  

Great post, thanks for the numbers. Very interesting. However, I much more like the shots that Lat is taking (all in motion, open, from a kick-out) as opposed to the 3's Allen is taken (one on one, guarded, etc...). In the long run, I imagine I will be correct with my assessment and the #'s will show. But who knows? 

As far as defense goes, that's why I caveated what I did. Against good teams, especially in the B1G, those steals will disappear and wide open lanes for our opponents will appear. 

On 11/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, LK1 said:

I like our spacing.  I don’t think perimeter shooting is a team strength.  It’s not bad, but we don’t have quite enough firepower to live outside the lane like Fred wants us to yet.

That said, I’ve been very impressed with Banton, Teddy, Trey, and Shamiel’s ability to score at the basket in isolation.  I’m wondering if we’re going to adjust to getting to the rim more as a team default/identity.  It sure helped us pull away today.  

Defensively we are so improved it’s scary.  Our rebounding will improve as our depth returns, but we have dominated the turnover battle in the first three games.  

Generically speaking, we're trying to either get to the rim or take 3s and we're one of the best in Div 1 at accomplishing what everyone says they want to do.

Against a pack type defense like Nevada, we took more 3s.

Against a team like NDSU that is trying to limit your 3s, we got to the rim more.

It's really this easy.

Todd Lee at South Dakota is trying to take away the 3. Expect us to get into the lane again vs the Coyotes.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

C'mon man, he already is our biggest threat on offense.  Everyone is falling in love with Lat (who is the best deep shooter but is offensively limited otherwise) and Dalano (whose length and vision are awesome but is inefficient and gun-shy when dared to shoot jumpers), but Teddy was the best all-around offensive weapon through the first three games.

I wouldn't say Banton is gun shy to shoot jumpers as his 11 3-point attempts against Nevada indicated. He did appear to be much more selective with those shots against NDSU, but as hhcmatt mentioned they were also trying to limit our 3-point attempts.

As to Mayen, it could be that he is staying within his role more so than being limited offensively. In the McNeese St. game he took his defender off the dribble from the top of the key to his left and finished with his off hand.

Edited by hugh42

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

That FT stat on Teddy game me another thought on him. His eFG% is higher b/c of his 2-point shooting. But when you factor in drawing and-1s and 2-shot fouls going to the rim, his driving is even more valuable. Now, if he was just hitting 80% or better from the stripe like he did in juco.

KenPom maintains a separate stat for combining FT makes with eFG%  which he calls TS% (True Shooting percentage)

You're going to get a few of those "Huh?" shots from Teddy pretty much every game. That's just who he is. The interesting thing is, without rewatching every shot, I'd say he's probably shot as well or better on the tougher dribble 3s he's taken than on the catch-and-shoot looks. Had he knocked down a few more of the open C&S looks he got against NDSU he would have had a monster game. Then he goes out and hits that step-back one. Teddy is a tough-shot maker, which he has to be because he's not blessed with elite burst to just blow by guys. That extends to the defensive side where he'll have trouble staying in front of guys at times, but he also has terrific anticipation as an off-ball defender to get those deflections and steals.

Outside of the poor 3-point shooting, the biggest problem with the offense right now is Yvan's minutes. With the way teams have been defending Nebraska and with the way their offense works, there's no hiding him. They can't just not pass to him in that dunker spot or in the pick-and-roll. As good as Yvan has been on the offensive glass, he needs to give them a lot more on the other end. 2 defensive boards per game on a team struggling in that area isn't going to cut it. If he's going to continue to struggle finishing, he has to be really good in other areas. 

I've actually really liked what I've seen of Shamiel as a finisher in that dunker spot role. Depending on the match-up, until Yvan figures some things out they're probably better off playing Shamiel more at the five as long as Dalano is out there as well. I'm not sure how Yvan fixes what's going on with him right now. I legitimately have no idea where the ball is going to go any time he elevates, and he doesn't either. Hoiberg claims he's finishing better in practice, so I'm not totally sure what they can do to improve it. I think it's going to be a case where you give him a shot each game and if he's hurting more than he helps, you go another direction and try again next game. 

10 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

You're going to get a few of those "Huh?" shots from Teddy pretty much every game. That's just who he is. The interesting thing is, without rewatching every shot, I'd say he's probably shot as well or better on the tougher dribble 3s he's taken than on the catch-and-shoot looks. Had he knocked down a few more of the open C&S looks he got against NDSU he would have had a monster game. Then he goes out and hits that step-back one. Teddy is a tough-shot maker, which he has to be because he's not blessed with elite burst to just blow by guys. That extends to the defensive side where he'll have trouble staying in front of guys at times, but he also has terrific anticipation as an off-ball defender to get those deflections and steals.

Outside of the poor 3-point shooting, the biggest problem with the offense right now is Yvan's minutes. With the way teams have been defending Nebraska and with the way their offense works, there's no hiding him. They can't just not pass to him in that dunker spot or in the pick-and-roll. As good as Yvan has been on the offensive glass, he needs to give them a lot more on the other end. 2 defensive boards per game on a team struggling in that area isn't going to cut it. If he's going to continue to struggle finishing, he has to be really good in other areas. 

I've actually really liked what I've seen of Shamiel as a finisher in that dunker spot role. Depending on the match-up, until Yvan figures some things out they're probably better off playing Shamiel more at the five as long as Dalano is out there as well. I'm not sure how Yvan fixes what's going on with him right now. I legitimately have no idea where the ball is going to go any time he elevates, and he doesn't either. Hoiberg claims he's finishing better in practice, so I'm not totally sure what they can do to improve it. I think it's going to be a case where you give him a shot each game and if he's hurting more than he helps, you go another direction and try again next game. 

I know you have this whole "job" you claim to have that involves writing also.. but I really appreciate when you post on this board. 

10 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Agreed. And eyes are not deceiving you. Shamiel is hitting almost 90% from 2-point range. He probably has as much length as Yvan in terms of wingspan. I remember reading somewhere that Shamiel has crazy long arms and is also an explosive leaper. And he's looked good in that dunker role.

I wish we had a better idea of what we'd be getting with Walker and Andre. And how soon does Andre come out of quarantine? Anyone know? (I mean anyone on the board; I'm sure someone somewhere knows.)

I've been thinking more about our offensive identity and team makeup, and I'm actually getting more optimistic that we can make some noise this year.  While the deep shot hasn't been going in at a high clip yet, there are enough guys with a good looking stroke to assume we will have some nights that flat-out scorch the nets. That, combined with good defense, gives you a puncher's chance against Top 25 quality teams.  And on the flipside, we also have enough athletic guys that can get to the rim consistently to avoid the annual letdown loss to a 200+ RPI team. 

Win the ones you should, and steal a few with a hot shooting night.  I think we can do that.  

22 minutes ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

The B1G protocol is 21 days of quarantine with no practice possible.  He has been quarantined for 8 days?  So he has 13 more before he can interact/practice again.

Not saying the policy is right or wrong; gotta be appreciative we even have hoops right now. But this is going to impact a lot of teams throughout this season.

If playing hoops is important to these coaches and players, then they're going to have to take some more extreme precautions. It's like if a playoff-bound NCAA football team gets knocked out due to COVID protocols, that's just the name of the game this season. Coaches at that caliber focus on the finest of details to win; "winning" COVID prevention just has to be one of those factors to win this year.

1 hour ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

The B1G protocol is 21 days of quarantine with no practice possible.  He has been quarantined for 8 days?  So he has 13 more before he can interact/practice again.

I saw Barry Alvarez talking at one point about reducing that to 14 days based on a study (obviously didn't read this well).  I suppose it's possible that a combination of updated studies and pressure to have football teams that can play could reduce the number for basketball. 

Norm, Shamiel's bio at Pittsburgh had him down as having a 6'11" wingspan and a 40" vertical, so that's where you probably saw that. 

Toupee, it's not 21 days of quarantine, it's 21 days without playing. There are different stages of that 21 days. We don't know at this point when that period actually started for Eduardo. We'll see if Fred can speak to their expected timetable with him here sometime soon.

I was concerned about Shamiel’s body language in the NDSU game. He had an egregious foul 25 ft from the basket with 37 seconds left in a blowout. He kind of moped around the last couple minutes of the game, which gave me flashbacks of most of our players last season when things weren’t going the way they wanted. I thought he seemed frustrated with his role thus far. Shamiel comes across as a player with a lot of physical and mental toughness, so I hope I was just misreading things. 

11 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

I'd think Creighton has a way more offensive Identity than we do...that's why this is known as the Cornhusker state and we have events like the Cornhusker State Games.  I don't see a lot of Bluejay state games and I've yet to hear Nebraska addressed as the Bluejay state. 

I C what U did there.

34 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

I'd think Creighton has a way more offensive Identity than we do...that's why this is known as the Cornhusker state and we have events like the Cornhusker State Games.  I don't see a lot of Bluejay state games and I've yet to hear Nebraska addressed as the Bluejay state. 

What's a "bluejay"?

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I was concerned about Shamiel’s body language in the NDSU game. He had an egregious foul 25 ft from the basket with 37 seconds left in a blowout. He kind of moped around the last couple minutes of the game, which gave me flashbacks of most of our players last season when things weren’t going the way they wanted. I thought he seemed frustrated with his role thus far. Shamiel comes across as a player with a lot of physical and mental toughness, so I hope I was just misreading things. 

Honestly, I kind of liked that he was pissed off playing mop up duty.  I wasn't happy about it either.  

I want to see him run with Banton, Trey, Teddy, Lat/Thor (I still like Thor better as a 4).  I think he'll be really really good in that kind of complementary role.  

43 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Honestly, I kind of liked that he was pissed off playing mop up duty.  I wasn't happy about it either.  

I want to see him run with Banton, Trey, Teddy, Lat/Thor (I still like Thor better as a 4).  I think he'll be really really good in that kind of complementary role.  

I’m ok with him being frustrated and using it as fuel to perform better in practice and games. But I don’t think poor body language is ever a good thing. Contrast this with Trey in the Nevada game. He had a pretty awful game and sat on the bench most of the second half. But, he was literally jumping up and down whenever his teammates scored a basket. Role acceptance, game in and game out, is important in a successful team. 

Having said all that, I also think Shamiel can be a really good player for us and would love to see him in the lineup you mentioned.