Offensive Identity...

I like our spacing.  I don’t think perimeter shooting is a team strength.  It’s not bad, but we don’t have quite enough firepower to live outside the lane like Fred wants us to yet.

That said, I’ve been very impressed with Banton, Teddy, Trey, and Shamiel’s ability to score at the basket in isolation.  I’m wondering if we’re going to adjust to getting to the rim more as a team default/identity.  It sure helped us pull away today.  

Defensively we are so improved it’s scary.  Our rebounding will improve as our depth returns, but we have dominated the turnover battle in the first three games.  

We need to get beyond settling for early 3's.  Our 3 point shooting seems to improve when we penetrate and either take it to the hoop or kick out for a three.   

Also, this team is relatively unselfish which provides clear shots AND we do not have multiple players who can't shoot.  Husker fans have appreciated these "glue" players.  But we are learning that you can be a glue player and still be a good shooter.

By the way kudos to Doc, he has this team playing some d.

Edited by Huskerpapa

For the most part, I think we have a capable group of shooters. It’s anecdotal evidence for sure, but in the past 2 games it seems the team shoots the 3 much better off the catch than off the dribble. I’ll have to rewatch to confirm but it has been noticeable to me.

15 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Going to the rim would be nice in theory but our 60% free throw shooting needs to improve.  Of course shooting 28% from three is a bit deflating.

History tells us a player like Teddy is exceptional at the line; although he has been less than stellar the first three games.  I anticipate that we are going to be a fairly good free throw shooting team as the conference season rolls through.   I am going to guess our percentage will be in the 70 to 75% range

I thought the pick&pop 3 would be 3rd on the list above.  Never mind   I guess I was thinking about players without the ball.   

Tyrone Lue was a master of the off the dribble midrange.  He would of broken that curve by himself.   It's a lost art now.

Edited by REDitus

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Aside from layups in transition, the four best shots in basketball are all treys. 

What this tells me is that when you get the kick out catch–and–shoot three point opportunity and the defender closes out strong, rather than a pump fake and dribble in for a mid-range shot, the better choice is to pump fake and take two steps to the side for the dribble 3.

Right now, we’re averaging 28.9% from three. You have to figure that number will improve. Our season average was 31.8 a year ago. We have some capable shooters getting good looks while averaging less than you’d expect from beyond the arc. The Nevada game messed with our averages and it’s a small sample size. You figure we’ll get hot at some point and win a game nobody thinks we can. Fingers crossed anyway.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Right now, we’re averaging 28.9% from three. You have to figure that number will improve. Our season average was 31.8 a year ago. We have some capable shooters getting good looks while averaging less than you’d expect from beyond the arc. The Nevada game messed with our averages and it’s a small sample size. You figure we’ll get hot at some point and win a game nobody thinks we can. Fingers crossed anyway.

Shamiel has yet to hit one and we have to assume that'll change somewhat soon. But yeah. I think we'll float around 34-36% from 3 on the year. 

I’m totally fine with what we’re doing. I’m more against the individuals that are searching for makes and going 2-11 (or whatever). Teddy Allen doesn’t need to be shooting anymore than 4 or 5 threes a game. He needs to slash for us and make his crazy shots around the rim he’s amazing at. Banton just needs to shoot enough and make enough to keep teams honest, but he needs to be facilitating and creating. Lat needs, a lot, of shots from 3. And I’m pretty fine with whatever McGowens wants to do. I have a lot of trust in him and don’t want to make him mad and lose his brother. Joking.

I too, am blown away by our defense. Even if we aren’t playing hard they’re effective. However, Allen is going to cause us issues against good teams, if he continues ball watching and lunging at everything. 

Edited by basketballjones

13 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I’m totally fine with what we’re doing. I’m more against the individuals that are searching for makes and going 2-11 (or whatever). Teddy Allen doesn’t need to be shooting anymore than 4 or 5 threes a game. He needs to slash for us and make his crazy shots around the rim he’s amazing at. Banton just needs to shoot enough and make enough to keep teams honest, but he needs to be facilitating and creating. Lat needs, a lot, of shots from 3. And I’m pretty fine with whatever McGowens wants to do. I have a lot of trust in him and don’t want to make him mad and lose his brother. Joking.

I too, am blown away by our defense. Even if we aren’t playing hard they’re effective. However, Allen is going to cause us issues against good teams, if he continues ball watching and lunging at everything. 

Teddy *seems* to take and miss a lot of bad shots from long range, while Lat *seems* to be deadly accurate.  That's what my eyeballs were telling me this week and it seems that is what your eyes were telling you too.  However, the statistics don't back that up.  Teddy is 6 for 19 from three (31.6%) while Lat is 8 for 22 (36.4%).  Small sample size obviously, but just based purely on the numbers neither had a great first three games from deep but they were still two of our top three shooters (Trey was tops at 40% from three).  Interestingly enough, Teddy is also within striking distance of having the highest overall FG% on the team at 47.4% (Webster is inching him out at 47.6% and Shamiel was an "en fuego" 66.7% from the floor).  It will be interesting to see how these numbers fluctuate as the data size expands, but at least from the early returns I think Teddy needs to have the green light from anywhere.  He is a far cry from 2-for-11, regardless of what it seems like.

As for Teddy's defense, yes he bites on passing lanes a lot and leaves his teammates playing 4 on 5 at times.  The flip side of that is that he has 1/3 of the team's steals (13 of our total 39) while no one else has more than 5.  I will take that tradeoff as long as he continues to create fast break chances off of defensive aggressiveness.  

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

Teddy *seems* to take and miss a lot of bad shots from long range, while Lat *seems* to be deadly accurate.  That's what my eyeballs were telling me this week and it seems that is what your eyes were telling you too.  However, the statistics don't back that up.  Teddy is 6 for 19 from three (31.6%) while Lat is 8 for 22 (36.4%).  Small sample size obviously, but just based purely on the numbers neither had a great first three games from deep but they were still two of our top three shooters (Trey was tops at 40% from three).  Interestingly enough, Teddy is also within striking distance of having the highest overall FG% on the team at 47.4% (Webster is inching him out at 47.6% and Shamiel was an "en fuego" 66.7% from the floor).  It will be interesting to see how these numbers fluctuate as the data size expands, but at least from the early returns I think Teddy needs to have the green light from anywhere.  He is a far cry from 2-for-11, regardless of what it seems like.

As for Teddy's defense, yes he bites on passing lanes a lot and leaves his teammates playing 4 on 5 at times.  The flip side of that is that he has 1/3 of the team's steals (13 of our total 39) while no one else has more than 5.  I will take that tradeoff as long as he continues to create fast break chances off of defensive aggressiveness.  

I think what probably happened is that Teddy's shots can sometimes be more "forced" while Lat is more within the flow of the offense.  This makes it seem like Teddy shoots "too much" and Lat did really well because his shots weren't forced.  Sometimes the rushed shots were needed (end of shot clock) but sometimes it was just a forced shot.  If Teddy starts taking "The Best" shots for him within the offense, he by far becomes one of our biggest threats on O.  

13 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Shamiel's efficiency around the rim--not just his dunks, but his high-level finishes--are one of the reasons I want him on the court more.  He's also a sneaky good defender with a ton of length.  His body is going to be very valuable for us in conference games.  

Teddy hasn't been as efficient as we'll need him to be going forward, but he's also been able to manufacture points when we really needed them.  Defensively, while he does come up empty on defense sometimes, we also have so much darn length and quickness with the rest of our roster that they can really fill gaps.  I said last year that we'll see Doc's coaching ability show up once we have power 5 athletes on the court, and boy has it ever.  They really, really play for each other on the defensive end.  

I believe they'll have some intense coaching on rebounding prior to our next game.  As demonstrated above, the offense and defense are both being run correctly.  I can see why Fred likes this team so much.  I'm sure Doc is head over heels for the defensive effort.  I have the feeling they'll make us proud regardless of the W/L outcome this season.  

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think what probably happened is that Teddy's shots can sometimes be more "forced" while Lat is more within the flow of the offense.  This makes it seem like Teddy shoots "too much" and Lat did really well because his shots weren't forced.  Sometimes the rushed shots were needed (end of shot clock) but sometimes it was just a forced shot.  If Teddy starts taking "The Best" shots for him within the offense, he by far becomes one of our biggest threats on O.  

C'mon man, he already is our biggest threat on offense.  Everyone is falling in love with Lat (who is the best deep shooter but is offensively limited otherwise) and Dalano (whose length and vision are awesome but is inefficient and gun-shy when dared to shoot jumpers), but Teddy was the best all-around offensive weapon through the first three games.

Teddy is over 31% (6/19) on threes, which gives him a green light to shoot from deep (3rd most accurate on the team right now). But he's 12 of 19 on two-point attempts (63.2%), which means let him keep doing what he's doing.

Another odd Teddy Allen stat: He currently has 19 3-point attempts, 19 2-point attempts, and 19 1-point attempts.

18 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

C'mon man, he already is our biggest threat on offense.  Everyone is falling in love with Lat (who is the best deep shooter but is offensively limited otherwise) and Dalano (whose length and vision are awesome but is inefficient and gun-shy when dared to shoot jumpers), but Teddy was the best all-around offensive weapon through the first three games.

I would argue that Banton is our biggest offensive threat right now, but Teddy is right there.  

Here's Teddy's page on KenPom:

Teddy Allen
0 · Mesa, AZ · 6-7-98

Ht Wt Yr G %Min ORtg %Poss %Shots eFG% TS% OR% DR% ARate TORate Blk% Stl% FC/40 FD/40 FTRate FTM-A Pct 2PM-A Pct 3PM-A Pct
SF
104 Nebraska 
National Rank
6-6 223 Jr 3 69.2 114.7
5.6 15.2 12.7 7.3
0.0 8.4
3.4 7.2
11-19 .579 12-19 .632
6-19 .316
  vs. Tier A+B*       0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0-0 .000 0-0 .000 0-0 .000
  vs. Tier A*       0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0-0 .000 0-0 .000 0-0 .000
SF
12 West Virginia 5 S16 6-5 225 Fr 35 28.1 106.1 29.3 29.2 47.4 52.4 11.1 14.7 9.5 15.3 0.0 1.8 6.1 6.2 41.0 59-80 .738 88-170 .518 3-25 .120
  Conference-only       16 26.9 110.3 26.7 28.4 51.2 55.6 8.5 11.1 7.8 14.5 0.0 1.8 5.1 5.2 33.7 23-29 .793 44-84 .524 0-2 .000
  vs. Tier A+B*       25 26.5 107.1 26.2 27.3 47.5 53.3 8.6 13.3 8.2 14.6 0.0 1.6 6.1 6.0 43.4 41-53 .774 58-114 .509 0-8 .000
  vs. Tier A*       17 23.7 97.3 26.2 25.6 42.6 50.2 7.9 12.2 12.4 14.1 0.0 2.3 7.2 6.6 54.4 28-37 .757 29-64 .453 0-4 .000
  Age: 19.6 (+0.2)   Similar: Deonte Burton '14 (865), Kelan Martin '15 (864), Deshaun Thomas '11 (838), Taurean Prince '14 (835), Marcellus Earlington '20 (835), More...
  Career     38   70-99 .707 100-189 .529 9-44 .205
  vs. Tier A+B*     25   41-53 .774 58-114 .509 0-8 .000
  vs. Tier A*     17   28-37 .757 29-64 .453 0-4 .000