North Dakota St. (0-1) vs. Nebraska (1-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

6 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I'm gonna pay close attention to him on Tuesday. He seems slow footed and I worry about him once big ten play starts playing in the middle. I still think Yvan will be the starter once big ten play starts, but I need a better look before I say for certain

I just don't see how Yvan plays big time minutes against some BIG teams. Does his post defense vs Garza or 7'4" from Purdue negate how much he stalls our offense? At least Lat can take those guys out of the paint and open driving lanes. It will be interesting what Coach Hoiberg decides to do

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think Lat would be better as a stretch 4 if we had someone inside who could a) guard the post, b) rebound inside, and c) catch the dump-down and score.

I'm not sure I'm entirely sold on this 4-guard or 5-out offense just yet.

5 out will work against some teams, once we every big ten play and start playing teams that have 2 6'8+ guys I worry about it. I said before the season started we'll see multiple starting lineups throughout the year and I think we will see it take effect once big ten play starts

1 minute ago, MichHusker said:

I just don't see how Yvan plays big time minutes against some BIG teams. Does his post defense vs Garza or 7'4" from Purdue negate how much he stalls our offense? At least Lat can take those guys out of the paint and open driving lanes. It will be interesting what Coach Hoiberg decides to do

I don't disagree necessarily. Other thing to consider is he's seen most of these players from last year and by the end of the year he was doing well I'd say. Issue will be we're substituting offense for defense in that circumstance. I'm worried about Yvan offensively for sure but defensively he showed he can compete last year. However that was a year ago. Also depends how Andre looks and if he is ready for big ten play. 

2 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I don't disagree necessarily. Other thing to consider is he's seen most of these players from last year and by the end of the year he was doing well I'd say. Issue will be we're substituting offense for defense in that circumstance. I'm worried about Yvan offensively for sure but defensively he showed he can compete last year. However that was a year ago. Also depends how Andre looks and if he is ready for big ten play. 

Agreed. Minute distribution will be very interesting come Big 10 play, especially once Walker comes back. It does seem telling how much we doubled the post today. Might be an indication of how we will handle elite bigs which might negate the need for Yvan or walker 

6 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Agreed. Minute distribution will be very interesting come Big 10 play, especially once Walker comes back. It does seem telling how much we doubled the post today. Might be an indication of how we will handle elite bigs which might negate the need for Yvan or walker 

With how quickly we rotate this year, I wouldn't mind us doubling down.  We do well when we're flying around on D.

28 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

The answer is yes, his post defense, bulk and  at least a chance at a rebound  in this league will offset the offensive deficiencies.   Unless you want to see Garza score 50.  Lat couldn’t guard Norm in the paint.   

Edited by HB

3 hours ago, MichHusker said:

Yvan probably can’t play big time minutes vs. Big Ten teams cuz if my math is correct in 3 games against competition much lower then the Big Ten, he is fouling at a rate of 10 fouls per forty minutes.