Jump to content

uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 2 - Nevada


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, tbowman said:

Can he defend the post?  Can he defensively rebound from the post?  If he can't his 3-ball or motor are kind of irrelevant to me.  It pushes him to the 4 and it doesn't really sound like he's a 4.    

 

If you're talking about Breidenbach, I was just listening to the announcers in his team's game against Sierra Canyon (which has the #5 player in the 2022 class) saying he's fundamentally the best rebounder on his team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gaaaaa! Can we get an inside game, please? I get the idea of drawing the opposing team's big out to the 3-point line where maybe they aren't so comfortable. And opening up driving lanes. But that only

Thor is  not the problem.  We play better with him in the game.  One of the highest hoops IQ ever.   And he doesn’t need his, unlike some of the guys today.  

Losing Walker and Andre probably has already cost us one game.  None of us has seen Andre play, but with his height, length and athleticism, I would hope he can give us more than Yvan from day 1.  Hop

3 hours ago, tbowman said:

Can he defend the post?  Can he defensively rebound from the post?  If he can't his 3-ball or motor are kind of irrelevant to me.  It pushes him to the 4 and it doesn't really sound like he's a 4.    

 

Post defense TBD. Like I said, he'll occasionally give up defensive boards by failing to secure position and allowing himself to be moved off his spot, but he attacks the ball in the air pretty well on both ends.

 

Honestly, I think what we're seeing out of Mayen right now is what out can expect from Breidenbach early on, although Wilhelm will give you more of an option as a roll man in addition to popping considering his finishing ability with that left hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

USF did last night what we could have had we made out 3's.

 

Making our 3s is a big issue for this team right now. We have an offense that is oriented around making 3s and, as a team, we're shooting it abysmally right now. Twenty-eight point nine percent. As a team. From three. That. Sucks.

 

That would have been bad for a Miles team that loved the rim and only kinda liked the three "as friends" after a nasty breakup.

 

But for a team that loves the three, that shooting percentage is loving something that isn't really loving you back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

Making our 3s is a big issue for this team right now. We have an offense that is oriented around making 3s and, as a team, we're shooting it abysmally right now. Twenty-eight point nine percent. As a team. From three. That. Sucks.

 

That would have been bad for a Miles team that loved the rim and only kinda liked the three "as friends" after a nasty breakup.

 

But for a team that loves the three, that shooting percentage is loving something that isn't really loving you back.

Making threes would also help alleviate the problem of us getting called for so many charges. Opposing teams aren’t afraid to help off of anyone except Lat right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Kobe, Thorir, and Shamiel are better shooters than their current numbers.

 

Banton is pretty key. Is Banton a better than 25% 3pt shooter over a season? I don't know. If he makes a couple in a row in a game is he going to jack up 10+.  I don't know.

 

I remember making a claim like that in the past and someone on here telling me "you are what your numbers say you are."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Norm Peterson said:

 

I remember making a claim like that in the past and someone on here telling me "you are what your numbers say you are."

 

I can't speak to your grievances but the previous season(s) data we have on Kobe, Thorir, and Shamiel is specifically what i'm looking at when noting I believe them to be better shooters than their current respective 26.3%, 21.4%, and 0% 3pt%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Kobe, Thorir, and Shamiel are better shooters than their current numbers.

 

Banton is pretty key. Is Banton a better than 25% 3pt shooter over a season? I don't know. If he makes a couple in a row in a game is he going to jack up 10+.  I don't know.

 

-Thor should turn it around.  He was over 40% last year until that awful slump in the final two weeks.

-Kobe will almost assuredly turn it around.  He has been anywhere from a 33%-41% 3pt shooter over his career.

-Shamiel I hope is better than his current numbers.  Yeah he was at 38% in '17-'18, but that was based on only 1.3 attempts per game.  So who knows.

-Banton doesn't look comfortable shooting behind the arc.  I think the numbers you see are what you're going to get.  He's a Ben Simmons type player and we just need to be OK with that.  Still a fantastic player overall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

 

-Thor should turn it around.  He was over 40% last year until that awful slump in the final two weeks.

-Kobe will almost assuredly turn it around.  He has been anywhere from a 33%-41% 3pt shooter over his career.

-Shamiel I hope is better than his current numbers.  Yeah he was at 38% in '17-'18, but that was based on only 1.3 attempts per game.  So who knows.

-Banton doesn't look comfortable shooting behind the arc.  I think the numbers you see are what you're going to get.  He's a Ben Simmons type player and we just need to be OK with that.  Still a fantastic player overall.

 

Banton isn't a shooter, which we all knew going into the year anyway. I'd say right now I'm only comfortable with Teddy, Lat, or Webster pulling 3's. I know that's obviously impossible with our offense for them to be the only ones that shoot 3's consistently, but anytime anyone else shoots on our team I kinda cringe, much like I go when Lat tries to dribble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

 

I can't speak to your grievances but the previous season(s) data we have on Kobe, Thorir, and Shamiel is specifically what i'm looking at when noting I believe them to be better shooters than their current respective 26.3%, 21.4%, and 0% 3pt%.

Do we need to start the Festivus season before the 23rd.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

 

I can't speak to your grievances but the previous season(s) data we have on Kobe, Thorir, and Shamiel is specifically what i'm looking at when noting I believe them to be better shooters than their current respective 26.3%, 21.4%, and 0% 3pt%.

 

It wasn't a grievance. I just remember making the same kind of statement about some player in the past and someone responded (with some justification, I might add) that "you are what your stats say you are."

 

It's probably too early to say we've had enough of a data set to say what any of these players is, but it's still a point worth pondering. At what point do they become what their stats say they are?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Making threes would also help alleviate the problem of us getting called for so many charges. Opposing teams aren’t afraid to help off of anyone except Lat right now. 

And never seeing those two refs together again would also help alleviate the problem of us getting called for so many charges.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to our transfers regressing to their 3-pt shooting numbers at prior schools, I have two words:

 

Matej. Kavas.

 

Track record may not be a great indicator.  You have to look at level of comp, style of offense (did it create open looks?), and role (did they run plays for him).

 

by every metric, we were right to expect Kavas to continue to be that 46% 3-pt shooter.  The dude averaged that over two years as a starter and was 6-8, so you figured he could get his shot off.  What we didn’t know was his mental makeup and how he’d fit.  Poor guy struggled hard here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OurDecay said:

With regards to our transfers regressing to their 3-pt shooting numbers at prior schools, I have two words:

 

Matej. Kavas.

 

Track record may not be a great indicator.  You have to look at level of comp, style of offense (did it create open looks?), and role (did they run plays for him).

 

by every metric, we were right to expect Kavas to continue to be that 46% 3-pt shooter.  The dude averaged that over two years as a starter and was 6-8, so you figured he could get his shot off.  What we didn’t know was his mental makeup and how he’d fit.  Poor guy struggled hard here.

 

That's a fair counterpoint.  Depressing, but fair.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My stature as a first-rate and high-level talent evaluator is called into question on this board?!  Who would’ve thunk it.  So, I’ll appeal to authority instead:
 

“Wilhelm Breidenbach, the top-100 recruit who signed with NU last week, “blew me away with his skill set,” Hoiberg said. Down to the granular of passing as well with his left hand as his dominant right hard. A 6-foot-10 guy who can do that — plus “pop to the top of the floor and knock down shots at a high level” — is the kind of player who fits Hoiberg’s vision and Nebraska’s style.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OurDecay said:

With regards to our transfers regressing to their 3-pt shooting numbers at prior schools, I have two words:

 

Matej. Kavas.

 

Track record may not be a great indicator.  You have to look at level of comp, style of offense (did it create open looks?), and role (did they run plays for him).

 

by every metric, we were right to expect Kavas to continue to be that 46% 3-pt shooter.  The dude averaged that over two years as a starter and was 6-8, so you figured he could get his shot off.  What we didn’t know was his mental makeup and how he’d fit.  Poor guy struggled hard here.

 

The one metric that I wasn't sold on was his form though.  His low windup made me wonder if he could get shots up comfortably in a physical B1G.  Turned out he couldn't.  He had a 6'8" frame with a 6'4" release. 

 

When I watch Kobe and Teddy shoot, they give no indication that their shots will be affected at the B1G level.  Kobe's jumper is textbook and I truly believe those are going to start dropping at higher and higher rates for us.  Teddy's shot is extremely hard to block from a timing standpoint, and he tends to fall away.  It's also a crazy quick release.

 

Thor still has me worried.  He didn't end the season well last year, and that trend appears to be continuing.  We also have entire prior years of evidence that he is a mediocre shooter.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried for him.  Shamiel and Banton should be shooting wide open threes, but that's about it, IMO.  Trey looks average from outside.  

 

So, really, Teddy, Kobe, and Lat are the guys I'm confident about from beyond the arc.  I think the rest of the guys are going to hover in the 25-30% range.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LK1 said:

 

The one metric that I wasn't sold on was his form though.  His low windup made me wonder if he could get shots up comfortably in a physical B1G.  Turned out he couldn't.  He had a 6'8" frame with a 6'4" release. 

 

When I watch Kobe and Teddy shoot, they give no indication that their shots will be affected at the B1G level.  Kobe's jumper is textbook and I truly believe those are going to start dropping at higher and higher rates for us.  Teddy's shot is extremely hard to block from a timing standpoint, and he tends to fall away.  It's also a crazy quick release.

 

Thor still has me worried.  He didn't end the season well last year, and that trend appears to be continuing.  We also have entire prior years of evidence that he is a mediocre shooter.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried for him.  Shamiel and Banton should be shooting wide open threes, but that's about it, IMO.  Trey looks average from outside.  

 

So, really, Teddy, Kobe, and Lat are the guys I'm confident about from beyond the arc.  I think the rest of the guys are going to hover in the 25-30% range.  


At this point, we have to trust Fred on Thor’s shooting.  He is pretty high on his shooting despite the early struggles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, hskr4life said:


At this point, we have to trust Fred on Thor’s shooting.  He is pretty high on his shooting despite the early struggles.

 

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that Thor will start shooting better as soon as he gets in touch with his feelings.

 

Generally, I tend to appreciate thinking over feeling. Except when it comes to things like hitting a golf shot or shooting a basketball.

 

In those instances, the less you think about it, the better. You gotta rely on feel, on muscle memory, and just let it fly without stopping to think about it. That's why guys often miss when they hesitate on an open shot and then take it. It's given them time to think rather than just react.

 

As soon as he stops thinking and starts shooting, his percentages will return to normal.

 

So, stop thinking, Thor!

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that Thor will start shooting better as soon as he gets in touch with his feelings.

 

Generally, I tend to appreciate thinking over feeling. Except when it comes to things like hitting a golf shot or shooting a basketball.

 

In those instances, the less you think about it, the better. You gotta rely on feel, on muscle memory, and just let it fly without stopping to think about it. That's why guys often miss when they hesitate on an open shot and then take it. It's given them time to think rather than just react.

 

As soon as he stops thinking and starts shooting, his percentages will return to normal.

 

So, stop thinking, Thor!

With regard to Thor, I noticed that there were a few times where he had spotted up in transition or on a cut and was open, but the guy with the ball didn't make the pass to him. It could be that the new guys aren't yet in sync with Thor yet. We will need his shooting and intangibles down the road. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...