uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 2 - Nevada

Norm Peterson

13 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I watched his entire game that he played on ESPN.  I really, really, really hope I am wrong, but I think he is going to struggle in the B1G.  He is super, super skinny, and he doesn't have the frame to put on weight.  No way he can guard centers in the B1G.  This means he will probably have to play PF (as opposed to center), which, to me, takes away all the potential advantage he might offer as a "stretch 5".  He will struggle at PF IMO because he is alarmingly unathletic.  I don't understand all the talk by Fred about him being good at playing fast tempo because he is S-L-O-W and, frankly, looks gangly and and uncoordinated.  He is not a leaper at all.  He will get banged around like a rag doll against physical teams.  I think the hope would be that he could be a player like the Wagner brothers at Michigan, but he is not even close to the athlete or ball-handler of either of those guys (or the shooter IMO).  So I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him being much of contributor until at least his junior or senior years, and maybe never.  

That’s what I saw also 

There is a difference between a player that can make a 3, and a player that is a legit 3-point shooter.  Nebraska has a number of the former, but not any of the latter.  Lat is the closest to being a legit 3-point shooter, but he appears to have a confidence issue.  Some guys are dynamite practice players, but when the lights turn on, struggle for whatever reason. It is still super early, so no way to know for sure, but just reading Lat's body language and seeing how quickly he became tentative after missing his first few shots seems to be telling.  In the 2nd half, Lat had a wide open 3 and passed it to Banto to take the 3 instead. I don't care if Delano hit his last 10 threes, if open, Lat should always take the shot before Banton.  It also might explain why a guy that can make 86 out of 100 in a NBA shooting drill only shot 38% in juco ball.  With that said, Hoiberg may just be the perfect coach for him because Fred will continue to encourage him to shoot and shoot some more.  

The other guys like McGowens, Stevenson, Teddy, etc, are just guys who "can" make a 3, but are not legit or pure 3-point shooters.  

Edited by NUdiehard

Losing Walker and Andre probably has already cost us one game.  None of us has seen Andre play, but with his height, length and athleticism, I would hope he can give us more than Yvan from day 1.  Hoping he gets immediate playing time upon his return.  

Until then, Fred might have to go with Stevenson at center.  They utilized him some yesterday, and it worked okay.  Fred parked Stevenson in the dunker spot (short baseline) and then when Delano or Trey or whoever would penetrate and draw the defender they could just dump off to Stevenson for the easy dunk.  These are plays that Yvan just can't seem to convert because his stone hands don't allow him to catch it cleanly and his slow jump doesn't allow him to get off the floor quick enough. 

4 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

There is a difference between a player that can make a 3, and a player that is a legit 3-point shooter.  Nebraska has a number of the former, but not any of the latter.  Lat is the closest to being a legit 3-point shooter, but he appears to have a confidence issue.  Some guys are dynamite practice players, but when the lights turn on, struggle for whatever reason. It is still super early, so no way to know for sure, but just reading Lat's body language and seeing how quickly he became tentative after missing his first few shots seems to be telling.  In the 2nd half, Lat had a wide open 3 and passed it to Banto to take the 3 instead. I don't care if Delano hit his last 10 threes, if open, Lat should always take the shot before Banton.  It also might explain why a guy that can make 86 out of 100 in a NBA shooting drill only shot 38% in juco ball.  With that said, Hoiberg may just be the perfect coach for him because Fred will continue to encourage him to shoot and shoot some more.  

The other guys like McGowens, Stevenson, Teddy, etc, are just guys who "can" make a 3, but are not legit or pure 3-point shooters.  

Lat can shoot, but he's not a threat to drive so you can push out on him. If he really was going to shoot at 45+%, then he would have had better offers. He can be a good weapon for us, but others have to do the heavy lifting for him.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:45 PM, NUdiehard said:

I watched his entire game that he played on ESPN.  I really, really, really hope I am wrong, but I think he is going to struggle in the B1G.  He is super, super skinny, and he doesn't have the frame to put on weight.  No way he can guard centers in the B1G.  This means he will probably have to play PF (as opposed to center), which, to me, takes away all the potential advantage he might offer as a "stretch 5".  He will struggle at PF IMO because he is alarmingly unathletic.  I don't understand all the talk by Fred about him being good at playing fast tempo because he is S-L-O-W and, frankly, looks gangly and and uncoordinated.  He is not a leaper at all.  He will get banged around like a rag doll against physical teams.  I think the hope would be that he could be a player like the Wagner brothers at Michigan, but he is not even close to the athlete or ball-handler of either of those guys (or the shooter IMO).  So I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him being much of contributor until at least his junior or senior years, and maybe never.  

Dang, I guess we will disagree on this. I think he will be plenty strong enough after a year in the program. He was not overly athletic, will agree on that but the rest is there. Not saying he is or will be as good but I think he could have a game similar to Ethan Happ but with a better outside shot and not as strong of a true post game.

Fred and Matt are pretty high on him so i am going to give them the benefit for now, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Wilhelm is not an inside banger—if banger is the standard, he is a bust already.

He is a lights out shooter—three pointers and all, with skill as a passer.

Hoiberg & Co. are betting their future on this guy and are very high on him.  

Curious... How do you feel confident calling him "lights out" as a shooter? 

6 hours ago, Swan88 said:

From watching him shoot in a recent game:  threes never touched the rim, hooks were perfect.

Watching one game definitely is not the way to make judgments like that. Just how good of a shooter he actually is is something I'm pretty curious about. His MaxPreps page only includes made 3s and not percentage. He had 5 mades 3s as a freshman, 26 as a sophomore and 16 as a junior. That's not a ton. I watched seven of his games I found on YouTube (most last year, a few from his sophomore year) and tracked them myself, and he shot 6-20 from 3 in those seven games.

He shows some shooting potential for sure, but I don't know that he's a "lights out" shooter right now. He definitely had more buckets in the post than he did from the 3-point line in those seven games. He certainly likes that jump hook.

5 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Watching one game definitely is not the way to make judgments like that. Just how good of a shooter he actually is is something I'm pretty curious about. His MaxPreps page only includes made 3s and not percentage. He had 5 mades 3s as a freshman, 26 as a sophomore and 16 as a junior. That's not a ton. I watched seven of his games I found on YouTube (most last year, a few from his sophomore year) and tracked them myself, and he shot 6-20 from 3 in those seven games.

He shows some shooting potential for sure, but I don't know that he's a "lights out" shooter right now. He definitely had more buckets in the post than he did from the 3-point line in those seven games. He certainly likes that jump hook.

30% from three as a high school sophomore/junior is pretty close to Hunter Sallis, no?

I also watched one of Wilhelm's games and I had to laugh at myself because I know this but most often can't stop myself.  The perception I got from watching the highlights was a little different than watching a complete game and I know that seeing a guy live will also often result in a somewhat different take.

My take after watching the game is that he still fits a 5-out offense.   He can shoot well.   I think he could be in the 37-38% range.   He doesn't have the motor/stamina that I thought he had from the highlights but with college conditioning and subs he will be fine.  

My opinion of his touch did not change and uses both hands well.  The fact that he can do that helps bolster my opinion that he has touch from the outside as well.

He definitely needs to add muscle&size.  That will help him.    He reminds me a little of Brady Heiman now.    He could use a year or two of development.   He will be a good player.  

Edited by REDitus

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

30% from three as a high school sophomore/junior is pretty close to Hunter Sallis, no?

He was at 19-48 (40%) as a sophomore, then nearly doubled the volume to 88 attempts and dropped off to 31% (27 makes). So the totals are about the same as Wilhelm's, just flipped. Hunter didn't shoot the ball very well this past summer either. That's probably the biggest question about his game.

4 hours ago, REDitus said:

I also watched one of Wilhelm's games and I had to laugh at myself because I know this but most often can't stop myself.  The perception I got from watching the highlights was a little different than watching a complete game and I know that seeing a guy live will also often result in a somewhat different take.

My take after watching the game is that he still fits a 5-out offense.   He can shoot well.   I think he could be in the 37-38% range.   He doesn't have the motor/stamina that I thought he had from the highlights but with college conditioning and subs he will be fine.  

My opinion of his touch did not change and uses both hands well.  The fact that he can do that helps bolster my opinion that he has touch from the outside as well.

He definitely needs to add muscle&size.  That will help him.    He reminds me a little of Brady Heiman now.    He could use a year or two of development.   He will be a good player.  

I disagree about the motor. That's one of the notes I had every game. The guy goes hard. He gets out-physicalled on the defensive glass at times, but he runs the floor hard in transition every chance he gets and he spends a lot of time diving after loose balls or setting up to take charges as a help defender. 

Maybe @Swan88is comparing Breidenbach to all the other Husker shooters we've had.  :wink:

Nor are 'jump hooks' much we've been seeing from Husker Teams that might be a welcome addition (Yvan might look good developing one).

HIgh motor, going hard, diving; I can see why he might be high on Hoiberg's list.  :Salute:

On 11/27/2020 at 5:01 PM, NUdiehard said:

Even legit 3-point shooters will have off games from time to time during a season.

And nobody shot well against Nevada.

BUT if you set aside what they did against Nevada ...

Trey McGowens is shooting 4 for 7 from outside (57.1%)

Lat Mayen is shooting 6 for 13 (46.2%)

Dalano Banton is shooting 3 for 8 (37.5%)

Teddy Allen is shooting 4 for 12 (33.3%)

Thor Thorbjarnarson is shooting 3 for 9 (33.3%)

That might not make any of them "legit 3-point shooters" but it certainly makes you more comfortable with them taking those shots. And it won't take too many more games to give us a decent sample size.

8 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Last summer/fall one of the Rivals guys reported Wilhelm was the top post target on Fred and Matt’s board. That’s good enough for me. 

Agree, still not sure why the concern.

Can handle the ball with either hand effectively- check

Excellent passer - check

high energy - check

basketball IQ, communication - check

finish with either hand - check

decent to good outside shooter - check

needs strength - WIP (gangly guys are usually stronger than they look)

overall athleticism - ???

He really reminds me of Ethan Happ and am excited to see him in Fred’s offense. Hope he can get close to that level.

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

He was at 19-48 (40%) as a sophomore, then nearly doubled the volume to 88 attempts and dropped off to 31% (27 makes). So the totals are about the same as Wilhelm's, just flipped. Hunter didn't shoot the ball very well this past summer either. That's probably the biggest question about his game.

Can he defend the post?  Can he defensively rebound from the post?  If he can't his 3-ball or motor are kind of irrelevant to me.  It pushes him to the 4 and it doesn't really sound like he's a 4.