B1G bias

hugh42

On 11/25/2020 at 9:10 PM, Milk said:

We have never been relevant in the national realm and playing McNeese St.  People in IL, IN, OH etc could care less.  And Husker hoops isn’t relevant like Michigan St, Indiana, Michigan, etc.  I mean let’s be honest.  Just because we beat McNeese we shouldn’t act like we are a sweet 16 team all a sudden 

Who TF is acting like we're a Sweet 16 team all of a sudden? (Like how you put in the "we" part.)

I'm shocked, reading this thread, by some of the apparent lack of reading comprehension on this board. It seemed like one or two of you were being perhaps deliberately obtuse and missing @hugh42's point.

It's not a complicated point. It's the Big Ten network. We're part of the Big Ten. We played a game that day. They showed highlights of every game but ours. I don't GAF what our record is or where our basketball program has been historically. It's not about needing to earn it or what have we done lately or putting up and shutting up.

We shouldn't have to "win first" in order for our own conference network to acknowledge that we're a part of the conference.

Edited by Norm Peterson

I’m actually going to agree with Normy and Hugh here.  It’s the little things that have added up over the years.  If it was Fox or ESPN, then sure it makes sense that we don’t always make the cut.  Also— this isn’t a one time thing.  From our score missing, to not showing highlights, and our own network making a case against us dancing a few years it’s something that has happened over and over.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:
On 11/25/2020 at 7:43 PM, HuskerFever said:

Let's start winning first and then we'll have something to complain about.

Different issue. You missed @hugh42's point.

I'm fully aware of his point. BTN is not a charity. They're going to give focus in areas that will either elevate teams on the national level, or gives them the most revenue.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

We played a game that day. They showed highlights of every game but ours. I don't GAF what our record is or where our basketball program has been historically. It's not about needing to earn it or what have we done lately or putting up and shutting up.

Not disagreeing that this is an issue and needs to be evaluated by the network.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:52 AM, colhusker said:

Same network a couple years back that instead of promoting one of it's teams for the big dance, like the $EC network was doing, they decided to spew their beliefs why we should not be in.  Let's face it, BTN is a crappy network that few watch IF Nebraska is not playing volleyball, basketball or football on it.

I vividly remember that segment.  It was insane.  It solidified my previously subtle beliefs.  

5 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm fully aware of his point. BTN is not a charity. They're going to give focus in areas that will either elevate teams on the national level, or gives them the most revenue.

Which doesn’t jive with them talking down our potential NCAA tourney team.  Us making the tourney would have helped on both fronts and they were sabotaging us. 

8 minutes ago, busticket said:
5 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Which doesn’t jive with them talking down our potential NCAA tourney team.  Us making the tourney would have helped on both fronts and they were sabotaging us. 

I mean...that's a valid argument.

16 minutes ago, busticket said:

What I gather from this article (below), along with some anecdotal things we've learned about the network over time is that their revenue model is based on eyeballs. Or, more specifically, just the number of cable packages BTN is on.

Nebraska doesn't add much value in that metric compared to, sadly, even Rutgers and Maryland. Quite possible they don't see a need, nor big revenue impact, by catering toward the Nebraska market.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karenweaver/2020/01/04/the-big-ten-network-was-created-by-and-for-its-fans---and-turned-a-profit-in-less-than-two-years/

6 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

What I gather from this article (below), along with some anecdotal things we've learned about the network over time is that their revenue model is based on eyeballs. Or, more specifically, just the number of cable packages BTN is on.

Nebraska doesn't add much value in that metric compared to, sadly, even Rutgers and Maryland. Quite possible they don't see a need, nor big revenue impact, by catering toward the Nebraska market.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karenweaver/2020/01/04/the-big-ten-network-was-created-by-and-for-its-fans---and-turned-a-profit-in-less-than-two-years/

While the “Nebraska” market isn’t necessarily larger, I would say the “national” market for BTN has a little for Nebraska to thank.  I know of a lot of people in other markets that pay extra just for BTN. 

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Who TF is acting like we're a Sweet 16 team all of a sudden? (Like how you put in the "we" part.)

Ok, I am guilty.  After we bludgeoned McNeese, I had Sweet 16 shirts made up.  The front celebrated our unprecedented run to the 2021 Sweet 16 while the back made fun of our neighbors to the East that got bounced in the second round again.

I am considering final four shirts after what I watched in the 2nd half today.

48 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

"This fall, the ACC Network launched with much fanfare, the last of the Power 5-branded sports networks."

Exactly how does the Texas network constitute a "Big 12" network? It does way more for the burnt orange than it does the Big 12.

Or did the big 12 finally get a Network that we don't know about? 

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

While the “Nebraska” market isn’t necessarily larger, I would say the “national” market for BTN has a little for Nebraska to thank.  I know of a lot of people in other markets that pay extra just for BTN. 

I also know a lot of people that have moved away and pay extra for btn. However I don’t think that any analysts being unfair to Nebraska will ever keep husker fans from paying a few dollars a month to watch husker sports.

I think that there is a bias against us, I just don’t think they give a sh*t. It doesn’t affect their revenue.

31 minutes ago, nuhusker7 said:

I also know a lot of people that have moved away and pay extra for btn. However I don’t think that any analysts being unfair to Nebraska will ever keep husker fans from paying a few dollars a month to watch husker sports.

I think that there is a bias against us, I just don’t think they give a sh*t. It doesn’t affect their revenue.

Yep— honestly, “dissing” the Huskers will probably generate more eyes just because word of mouth.  We’re seeing that with right now with a few specific members of the media on social media and their dissing of the football program.  Huskers will flock to you if you go against them.

If BTN didn’t talk about Nebraska in a short halftime segment, then I would assume it was inadvertent or it was due to time constraints. To me, the notion that there is some conspiracy to suppress Nebraska basketball seems pretty ridiculous. It’s odd to me how people in Nebraska always think there is some conspiracy against Nebraska athletics, whether it’s ESPN, or the Big12 Conference, or refs in the Big12 or in the Big Ten, or conference commissioners, or conference schedule-makers, or now the BTN. It’s almost second nature for some Nebraska fans to think that everyone is out to get them or suppress them. I just don’t get it.

10 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Generally speaking I find the BTN to be relatively objective compared to the propaganda machine it could be.  I can't say that I can speak for other conference's studios as I don't really watch them.

I agree and that is why I made the post to begin with. I'll blame 2020.

3 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

If BTN didn’t talk about Nebraska in a short halftime segment, then I would assume it was inadvertent or it was due to time constraints. To me, the notion that there is some conspiracy to suppress Nebraska basketball seems pretty ridiculous. It’s odd to me how people in Nebraska always think there is some conspiracy against Nebraska athletics, whether it’s ESPN, or the Big12 Conference, or refs in the Big12 or in the Big Ten, or conference commissioners, or conference schedule-makers, or now the BTN. It’s almost second nature for some Nebraska fans to think that everyone is out to get them or suppress them. I just don’t get it.

Once is happenstance. Twice is a coincidence. The third time it’s enemy action.

On 11/28/2020 at 3:40 PM, hskr4life said:

That would be me.  When I recently changed cable companies (another topic for another day), the person I was talking to asked where I lived.  When I told her she told me we would get the SEC network, told her I didn't care about the $EC network, I want to know if they had BTN.  Was told yes and I switched.  A month in my BTN disappeared, I called and was told it would be an extra charge.  Told them I didn't like being lied to when I asked if it was part of the package (another story for another day). I was told for a small addition charge I could get it back.  Paid that charge so I could continue to see Nebraska games.

44 minutes ago, colhusker said:

That would be me.  When I recently changed cable companies (another topic for another day), the person I was talking to asked where I lived.  When I told her she told me we would get the SEC network, told her I didn't care about the $EC network, I want to know if they had BTN.  Was told yes and I switched.  A month in my BTN disappeared, I called and was told it would be an extra charge.  Told them I didn't like being lied to when I asked if it was part of the package (another story for another day). I was told for a small addition charge I could get it back.  Paid that charge so I could continue to see Nebraska games.

I am in the group that pays a little extra for BTN too.