uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 1 - McNeese St.

uneblinstu

6 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I am as about as high as one could be on this kid, but I was perplexed by this. Not because I thought he was gonna fill it up on the offensive stat sheet. Dude had rock hands last year. They got a little better. Still brings the ball down a lot or gets small when he has the ball in a scoring position. I was perplewed because he shot so much. To be fair it was point blank, but that only confirms he probably shouldn't be shooting it much. But I did like what I saw on D and rebounding. Last year he got bumbed and backed down. He used his body better today. Much stronger. Got from the paint to the top of the key back down to the paint quick. Held people up enough for help D. I think he'll hold his own this year on D. Doesn't need to worry about offence because man o man does it look like we got some dudes that can score! 😃

Yvan is it as a traditional "big" until at least mid-December (Andre) and possibly late January (Walker). That's the only real negative I see at this point. If both Walker and Andre were available, I'm guessing Yvan's minutes drop considerably.

Notes from Nebraska

*-Nebraska’s 102 points was the Huskers’ highest point total since scoring 106 against Mississippi Valley State on Nov. 6, 2018. It is the 42nd time Nebraska has scored 100 points in a game (38-4 record)

*-Nebraska put six players in double figures, the first time that has happened since Nov. 11, 2018 against Southeastern Louisiana. All six players who reached double figures were making their Husker debut today.
*-Nebraska forced 27 turnovers, including 16 steals. Six players finished with multiple steals. Nebraska turned the 27 turnovers into 43 points.
*-Lat Mayen’s 13 points was his career best, as his previous high was 12 when he played at TCU in 2018-19.

1 minute ago, jayschool said:

Yvan is it as a traditional "big" until at least mid-December (Andre) and possibly late January (Walker). That's the only real negative I see at this point. If both Walker and Andre were available, I'm guessing Yvan's minutes drop considerably.

So this has me thinking. I believe Yvan is more than capable of holding down the 5 when we need him too until December. THEN Andre back in December. And then Walker January. Pretty sweet that we have reinforcements coming. Especially if they are at least as competent at a traditional 5 as Yvan. And Honestly the bar isn't all that high. And again, #1 Yvan fan here😂. And the reasons Norm has been giving that it isn't at all unreasonable that Walker does better than Yvan have persuaded me a bit. What I am trying to say is I am amped and we got reinforcements coming 😂

Just now, cornfed24-7 said:

So this has me thinking. I believe Yvan is more than capable of holding down the 5 when we need him too until December. THEN Andre back in December. And then Walker January. Pretty sweet that we have reinforcements coming. Especially if they are at least as competent at a traditional 5 as Yvan. And Honestly the bar isn't all that high. And again, #1 Yvan fan here😂. And the reasons Norm has been giving that it isn't at all unreasonable that Walker does better than Yvan have persuaded me a bit. What I am trying to say is I am amped and we got reinforcements coming 😂

In the interim, we can probably go with a seven-man primary rotation with Yvan in spots to provide rebounding against bigger teams. The other seven are so much more skilled at ... well, basketball things.

Second year in a row we opened the season on our home court against a team in blue and yellow jerseys. I'm glad we're 1-0 this time!

This team can move up and down the floor! McNeese was gassed before halftime.

Not looking forward to playing Illinois, but still excited for the rest of this season! If you're a Husker fan, you have to like the direction the program is headed after watching today's game.

27 minutes ago, jayschool said:

In the interim, we can probably go with a seven-man primary rotation with Yvan in spots to provide rebounding against bigger teams. The other seven are so much more skilled at ... well, basketball things.

Went back and looked at the mins and he was tied for 7th. If he played 2m less he would have been 9th. I think he probably stays in that position 7th - 9th but the mins fluctuate as hes needed for his roll. I'm so stoked for this season!

Also, I agree. I see his role as a banger. Go use that big frame. Hustle. Reboud. Kick it out.

Edited by cornfed24-7

I think Coach Hoiberg made a good comment about some of the trouble Yvan had.   He needs to kick it out when he is surrounded and on some of his attacks to the hoop. That will help.  Also he should jump forward a bit and create contact when he's in the arc.   That might get him some FT's.   I was hoping he'd be faster off the floor as he is leaner but I think he just picked up a slight gain there.   Perhaps he should work on tipping the ball in more rather than come down with it.   All things to work on.  

Edited by REDitus

7 minutes ago, REDitus said:

I think Coach Hoiberg made a good comment about some of the trouble Yvan had.   He needs to kick it out when he is surrounded and on some of his attacks to the hoop. That will help.  Also he should jump forward a bit and create contact when he's in the arc.   That might get him some FT's.   I was hoping he'd be faster off the floor as he is leaner but I think he just picked up a slight gain there.   Perhaps he should work on tipping the ball in more rather than come down with it.   All things to work on.  

I don't worry about Yvan at all.  He's still incredibly young and big men just don't get things figured out until later on anyway.  People HATED Brandon Ubel in his freshman and sophomore years and really only tolerated him as a junior.  Yvan will be fine.

31 minutes ago, 49r said:

I don't worry about Yvan at all.  He's still incredibly young and big men just don't get things figured out until later on anyway.  People HATED Brandon Ubel in his freshman and sophomore years and really only tolerated him as a junior.  Yvan will be fine.

I don't recall Ubel having bad hands, if he did it was due to lacking strength early on. Yvan on the other hand does not have good hands and that may or may not be something he can improve over time. I hope he does.

35 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Just wanted to stop in before my wife has to take me to the ER, because I have a body part that has been uhmm... well as the small print says if it has been over 4 hours  go to the ER.  Well it has been since Lat hit that second 3, so...:D

Stubbed your toe getting in the recliner?

44 minutes ago, 49r said:

This is where I land. I think he will be a beast as a senior. At 20. 😳

2 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Just wanted to stop in before my wife has to take me to the ER, because I have a body part that has been uhmm... well as the small print says if it has been over 4 hours  go to the ER.  Well it has been since Lat hit that second 3, so...:D

Might be best to stay there overnight. We play again tomorrow at 1:00.

Really impressed by 3 things especially:

1-NU scored 102 points and, by my count, missed at least 23 shots from within 5 feet. Also missed a few more FTs than I would expect they will going forward. I know McNeese was a disaster defensively, but NU easily could've been around 115-120 points. That's crazy. 

2-I was shocked how many times McNeese ended up in single digits on the shot clock, which I don't think is what they want to do. This occurred a bunch in that stretch midway through 2nd half where we had a 25-2 run or something like that. They just seemed completely confused because of NU's length.

3-NU has so many players who just glide and make it look easy. The athleticism is impressive. We had teams under Miles that had 3-4 guys who would glide like that, but this team has several.

And rewatching the game, Yvan had a really, really bad stretch after the 8 minute mark, but before that, I thought he was pretty solid; much improved over last season. Seemed like to me he ran out of gas a bit toward the end of the game. He played a ton of minutes in the 2nd half ... which makes the double whammy of losing Walker & Andre here early especially tough. Yvan is probably better off in the 12-15 minute range, but we won't have that luxury for a bit.

Was especially glad the spread wasn't NU -49, or that 3-pt heave at the final buzzer by McNeese would've pissed me off.