uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 1 - McNeese St.

uneblinstu

Welcome to Season 13 of the Postgame Chatter!

There's a lot to be excited about coming into this year! It's going to be a strange season to be sure, but I'm glad we're going to be able to watch them play this year!

First Half:

• Oh, so that's the Lat Mayen shooting prowess we heard all about...
  • Lots of getting to the rim, but they missed some there rim early again. 
  • We saw Banton's length at PG on display early. That wasn't even that great of a pass to McGowens, who made a crazy athletic play on the dunk, Banton had the ball on his hip and was still able to casually reach over his defender, who was in terrible position.
  • I like Stevenson as a rebounder. Quick hands on the perimeter defense, too!
  • It's too bad there won't be fans in the stands this year. I think this team would get the building rocking.
  • Thor can still shoot, too.
  • Trey McGowens is going to be fun to watch, too!
  • I like Teddy's energy!
  • Free throws, at least in the first half, still not great...
  • McNeese St. coaches not big on the mask usage.
  • NU causing all sorts of issues for McNeese. They're bigger, stronger, faster. Creating lots of turnovers, rebounding well, getting points in transition. Fun first half of the season.

Halftime:

VOSA9L.gif

RIP David Maas

Second Half:

• Loved the set out of the break! Just missed a touch on the pass.
  • Liked the defensive energy, even though the execution on the offensive end was a little sloppy. I'll be interested to see how it looks against bigger opponents, but I like the front court physicality.
  • I liked how they pushed right out of halftime. 
  • Mayen cooled a bit after the hot start. He had a drive right after the first media time out where he tried dishing off to Stevenson. Thought he should have gone up for the lay in. I think he had a pretty open look at it. He had a chance to do just that a couple possessions later and finished it.
  • When Banton gets going, he's gonna be tough to slow down. I think he got from half court to the lane in three steps once when he got to full speed.
  • Yvan's stroke looks a little better.
  • Allen's jumper looks a little funky, but hey, if it goes in...
  • Just an 8 player rotation before they emptied the bench with about 8 minutes to go.
  • 6 players in double figures. Not too shabby.
  • Banton's length on the perimeter might put him among B1G leaders in blocked shots.
  • Free throws much better in the 2nd half.

I have a hunch we're going to like watching this team this year...

I'll probably not be able to post these for tomorrow's game and probably Saturday as well, so don't wait for me if nothing gets posted right away.

View full article

Not only are we 1-0 but we are 1-0 ATS, for those of you that follow that sort of thing.  What a great start to the season - therapeutic after last year!  We're way more athletic and long and we should be much improved, especially defensively.  The multitude of offensive weapons will make us tough to defend.  We should be a much tougher out this year.  Bring on the Wolfpack and 2-0!

Oh, and if Bryce Mcgowens is more athletic than Trey, holy smokes that family has good genes!!!

Many, many positives:  shooting, athleticism, size.  Team chemistry seemed very good.

Some things to work on and improve:  post defense, free throw shooting.

Generally pleased overall - hard to determine what this game means going forward, but it is reassuring that they beat the tar out of a team they were supposed to beat the tar out of.  That has not happened very often over the last several years.

Way more positives than negatives on this one. I am super happy to be watching Husker hoops again and look forward to watching this team grow. It was a lot of fun today - the length and active hands on defense stood out to me as much as anything. 

There were a lot of positives. A LOT of positives.

• The ball movement, particularly early on, was spectacular. A lot of sharing and making that extra pass.
  • These guys really push the ball in transition.
  • Rebounding is so much better than a year ago
  • Our defensive length really caused McNeese problem. We have a lot of guys with active hands getting into passing lanes and disrupting things.
  • Length, athleticism, skill, depth have all upgraded over a year ago.

Not everything was good, however. And I hate to single anyone out, but ... Yvan was 3 for 12 from the floor, basically all at point-blank range. His first dunk made me think he had really improved from a year ago when he wouldn't have been able to catch an entry pass, gather himself and get up for a dunk, before the defense has a chance to react and get in position, like he did that first basket today. But second half he reverted back to 17-year-old Yvan. He was indecisive and slow and didn't go up strong. Off-balance, no touch or feel on the ball. He did hit 3 out of 5 FTs, which is good because he's probably going to get fouled a lot.

I wanted to see Eduardo. He's apparently tested positive for COVID, which I think means he'll be out for 3 weeks. I think our weakness is going to be inside, and since we don't have Derrick until January or February, it's going to be up to Lat and Yvan to be our presence in the paint for awhile.

10 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

There were a lot of positives. A LOT of positives.

• The ball movement, particularly early on, was spectacular. A lot of sharing and making that extra pass.
  • These guys really push the ball in transition.
  • Rebounding is so much better than a year ago
  • Our defensive length really caused McNeese problem. We have a lot of guys with active hands getting into passing lanes and disrupting things.
  • Length, athleticism, skill, depth have all upgraded over a year ago.

Not everything was good, however. And I hate to single anyone out, but ... Yvan was 3 for 12 from the floor, basically all at point-blank range. His first dunk made me think he had really improved from a year ago when he wouldn't have been able to catch an entry pass, gather himself and get up for a dunk, before the defense has a chance to react and get in position, like he did that first basket today. But second half he reverted back to 17-year-old Yvan. He was indecisive and slow and didn't go up strong. Off-balance, no touch or feel on the ball. He did hit 3 out of 5 FTs, which is good because he's probably going to get fouled a lot.

I wanted to see Eduardo. He's apparently tested positive for COVID, which I think means he'll be out for 3 weeks. I think our weakness is going to be inside, and since we don't have Derrick until January or February, it's going to be up to Lat and Yvan to be our presence in the paint for awhile.

I agree regarding Yvan. Like you, I hate to single him out but despite him reshaping his body his ceiling will continue to be limited due to his hands. He has no touch around the hoop and lacks a feel for the ball in general. He will need to work on this in the off season, but for now he needs to focus on doing the things that will help the team win like rebound and defend.

Otherwise, yes, there were a lot of positives on the floor today. Let's hope we don't hear about more positive tests tomorrow.

41 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yvan was 3 for 12 from the floor, basically all at point-blank range.

I am as about as high as one could be on this kid, but I was perplexed by this. Not because I thought he was gonna fill it up on the offensive stat sheet. Dude had rock hands last year. They got a little better. Still brings the ball down a lot or gets small when he has the ball in a scoring position. I was perplewed because he shot so much. To be fair it was point blank, but that only confirms he probably shouldn't be shooting it much. But I did like what I saw on D and rebounding. Last year he got bumbed and backed down. He used his body better today. Much stronger. Got from the paint to the top of the key back down to the paint quick. Held people up enough for help D. I think he'll hold his own this year on D. Doesn't need to worry about offence because man o man does it look like we got some dudes that can score! 😃