Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Alright, so last year I made a post attempting to temper the enthusiasm for Hoiberg 1.0. I watched the scrimmage and was like, "Oh boy... this is going to be a bad year." We were skinny, inexperienced, no length, and I had zero confidence anyone could shoot. Hoiberg 2.0 should be a lot different, fellas. I am not at the place where I am comfortable predicting a record (1. I'm bad at that anyways, and 2. w/ Covid and what not, there's just too many variables), but I am at the place where I can say we should be pretty competitive and good. 

 

'19-'20 Problem: Too Skinny

Solved: Kind of

We don't have a traditional bruiser-big that the B1G usually produces, if Walker doesn't play much. Also not sure we have a traditional, "four man." I am also just not too high on Drago yet, sorry guys. However, Stevenson, Webster, McGowens, Allen, are all thick, strong dudes who are going to create alternative match-up problems for other teams. 

 

'19-'20 Problem: Inexperienced

Solved: Yes

Not experienced here, necessarily, but we have experienced basketball players. Thor and Drago are experienced here. Stevenson, Banton, McGowens, Allen, Webster, and Walker have all played against or in major-conference basketball. And, a lot of these guys have been playing with each other for quite a bit, whether it's through the sit-out year or all the wild COVID stuff. Chemistry is a different question. But I think that's overblown these days with as many 1 and done's, and transfers there are. 

 

'19-'20 Problem: No Length

Solved: Duh

Just look at them, christ...

 

'19-'20 Problem: Zero Confidence Anyone Can Shoot

Solved: Absolutely 

I expect the ball to go in every time Lat, McGowens, and Allen (to an extent) shoot. Thor makes enough, and the coaches certainly have enough confidence in him, that I don't mind when he shoots. Even Stevenson's shot looks good.

 

'20-'21 Early Observed Potential Weaknesses

1. Will this team stay together under adversity? Lots of guys who have left when the going got tough at their first place. Argue with me all you want about that, but it is what it is. It's a legit question.

2. Can we guard down in the post? We don't have Walker for 1/2 the season and no one knows if he can anyways. I'm obviously not sold yet on the Drago-experience. 
3. How good is the B1G? No matter how improved we seem to be - will the B1G be such a bear that it doesn't matter?

4. Are we deep? Can we withstand a COVID scare? 
5. What happens when teams don't guard some of the guys who can't shoot? Can we execute and be smart?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Four Games in, I wanted to revisit this post and see where we are at. 

As of now, I am pretty confident that we have answered the majority of the issues I felt plagued us in '19-'20. And then some. 

The good: 
1. I honestly don't think we've ever had this many capable basketball players on one team since I have been actively watching Nebrasketball. And we're still without Walker and Andre. 

2. Delano Banton is a star. He's already one of my favorite players I've seen wear the scarlet and cream. 
3. We've never had a player like ____________. Literally you can insert 4-5 guys in there. We've had guys like Teddy Allen - Petteway and Palmer - guys who are kinda jacks that can get their own shot, and make bad shots. But we've just never had (past 20 years anyways), guys like Banton, Stevenson, McGowens, a capable back-up PG like Webster, a dead-eye 6'9" that can actually do other things like Mayen. This is a lot of fun to watch. We're missing a Copeland, Roby, Maric (kinda "true" 4's and 5's) - but "meh," it's a different team with a different, discernible style. So I'm really not bothered by that.

The bad:

1. A lot of the stuff we're good at isn't going to work in the B1G. I just do not see us getting as many gamble steals and on ball steals during the conference season. 

2. We're simply not going to be able to win by winning match-ups with conference bigs. We're going to have to do it a different way. Which, to me is perfectly fine. I've been in many arguments on this board over the fact that we don't need to spend as much time being concerned about bigs scoring as we make it out to be. It's worth 2 points. If you can force them into slightly tougher looks and not foul - a big simply cannot do it by themselves. Stopping elite guard play and the 3pt shot is far more important in 2020 than worrying about Garza. 

3. Half-court offense is going to be really tested in conference play. I am not sure I am excited with what I have seen so far. Not a lot of execution going on. Lot of "strangers in the night, exchanging glances" on screens and actions. 

The ugly:
1. Our guys Haircuts. Good lord, they've turned me into Norm. Clean it up fellas - high and tight. Bad, big hair makes a bad shooter - it's a fact - look it up. Shamiel and Bret Porter are the only two with proper haircuts. 
2. Shoes. Everyone needs to be wearing the same shoes, or close. God, at least the same color. The blue and whatnot just says, "look at me." I love the yellow adidases with our red jerseys (looks like a corn cob). But other than that, have the same color of shoe and be a team.

Jesus am I 65 years old or what? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Teddy Allen has done some pretty impressive things through the first few games. I'm interested to see how some of the things he does will translate to the Big Ten, with increase of size/length that most of these conference teams will have, compared to the teams they have played so far this season. I'm hoping he can keep up the success through the conference portion of the schedule.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably the thread to throw this into rather than starting a new one.

 

One of the things that maybe offers the best reason for optimism for this season (and, by "optimism" I don't mean "Sweet 16" so don't anyone get too excited) could be expressed by the following stats:

 

56.3

23.9

 

What are those numbers, you ask? The first is the number of points per game our starters have put up in 4 games so far. The second number is our average bench points per game so far.

 

Do not underestimate the value of a guy like Webster who can come in and score off the bench at either guard position if Teddy or (especially) Dalano get in first-half foul trouble. And Shamiel. Don't forget that we have a strong defensive presence who has put up almost 9 points per game coming in off the bench who can realistically, in a pinch, defend any position on the floor if he has to. That's Shamiel, for you. And Yvan. In limited minutes, Yvan is contributing 5.5 rebounds (many of them on the offensive end) per contest.

 

That's our *bench.* That's a real luxury. When was the last time we had a bench that could do that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

This is probably the thread to throw this into rather than starting a new one.

 

One of the things that maybe offers the best reason for optimism for this season (and, by "optimism" I don't mean "Sweet 16" so don't anyone get too excited) could be expressed by the following stats:

 

56.3

23.9

 

What are those numbers, you ask? The first is the number of points per game our starters have put up in 4 games so far. The second number is our average bench points per game so far.

 

Do not underestimate the value of a guy like Webster who can come in and score off the bench at either guard position if Teddy or (especially) Dalano get in first-half foul trouble. And Shamiel. Don't forget that we have a strong defensive presence who has put up almost 9 points per game coming in off the bench who can realistically, in a pinch, defend any position on the floor if he has to. That's Shamiel, for you. And Yvan. In limited minutes, Yvan is contributing 5.5 rebounds (many of them on the offensive end) per contest.

 

That's our *bench.* That's a real luxury. When was the last time we had a bench that could do that?

 

Good point.  Depth tends to show up in the middle/end of the season, and we have it in spades.  Walker and Andre make this is a very complete bunch.  Walker showing up on the court may very well start a run for us midseason.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, basketballjones said:

The ugly:
1. Our guys Haircuts. Good lord, they've turned me into Norm. Clean it up fellas - high and tight. Bad, big hair makes a bad shooter - it's a fact - look it up. Shamiel and Bret Porter are the only two with proper haircuts. 

 

Watching the Bryce McGowens game tonight and I thought about this.

 

To quote Abe Simpson:  "Now there's a haircut you can set your watch to!"  🤣

 

 

 

 

 

***Disclaimer***  I am not endorsing any particular hair style...do what you want boys, as long as you can get the big orange ball through the little orange hoop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Teddy Allen has done some pretty impressive things through the first few games. I'm interested to see how some of the things he does will translate to the Big Ten, with increase of size/length that most of these conference teams will have, compared to the teams they have played so far this season. I'm hoping he can keep up the success through the conference portion of the schedule.

Agree.  Im a bit on the fence on him still.  I feel he has a little Petteway in him in trying to score too much.  I feel there is more shooter and talent overall on this team and he doesnt need to be that.  We'll see.  I think he will get fouled and needs to improve his ft shooting.  His shooting is unorthodox so im curious how it plays in the big10 and especially against Crayton.  I feel they are going to try to get under his skin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, basketballjones said:

The ugly:
1. Our guys Haircuts. Good lord, they've turned me into Norm. Clean it up fellas - high and tight. Bad, big hair makes a bad shooter - it's a fact - look it up. Shamiel and Bret Porter are the only two with proper haircuts. 
2. Shoes. Everyone needs to be wearing the same shoes, or close. God, at least the same color. The blue and whatnot just says, "look at me." I love the yellow adidases with our red jerseys (looks like a corn cob). But other than that, have the same color of shoe and be a team.

 

Hey, at least no one has worn a hoodie during warmups yet!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...