Walker suspension is ENDING IN ? DAYS at Purdue

skerbball

I like Walker, but of all our rotation guys, he’s probably the one we can afford to not have available to play. Might be a blessing in disguise. You really can’t keep more than 8 or 9 guys happy on a basketball team and the rotation was going to have to tighten up eventually. Fred said the hardest thing about being a coach is distributing minutes. This makes it a bit easier on him. It’ll also give our two young bigs a chance to get more experience. I still expect Walker to be a great practice guy and leader. 

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/husker-forward-walker-suspended-for-violation-of-team-and-ncaa-rules-while-at-tennessee/article_d2647f71-c6b1-5164-93c5-e507ad167a31.html

In answer to some earlier questions:

No, this is not new news.  DW told the coaches about it when Nebraska was recruiting him as a transfer candidate.

The penalty of 16 game is supposed to be half a season.  DW is getting the short end of the stick in this 'rona season, since we'll be lucky to get 20 games in this year.  The length of the suspension could theoretically be shortened via appeal.

Statement from Nebraska Men’s Basketball Coach Fred Hoiberg

“One of the aspects I like most about coaching is the deep personal relationships and impact you have on the development of the people in your program. It is my job as the head coach at the University of Nebraska to help mold and develop my players just as much off the court as on the court. I take a lot of pride in building trusting relationships where my players know that they can come talk to me whenever they need something. 

Since arriving at Nebraska, Derrick Walker has been phenomenal at owning up to a mistake he made prior to coming here. He was transparent throughout the recruiting process and acknowledged his mistake. In turn, we told him confidently we would support and fight for him.

The 16-game suspension Derrick faces is based on a normal 31-game regular season.  In our opinion, the penalty should accurately reflect half of the abbreviated 2020-21 season, which is scheduled to be 27 games. We have made that case with the NCAA, but at this point the 16-game penalty stands. A lot of hard work went into this from many people at the University, and I thank them for their efforts.

Regardless of the outcome of any further appeals, we will continue to support Derrick and get him as ready as possible for when he is eligible to compete. I know Derrick is in a much better place today than when he arrived at Nebraska, and he is a valuable member of our team on and off the court.”

This kind of craps on my season winning % picks.   I expected some experience post depth which is now diluted a bit.   

I think the NCAA screwed Nebraska a bit.   I would of thought they could of made this ruling a long time ago.   Nebraska probably would of done their vetting of rotations differently if they got this news more timely.   My opinion of the NCAA continues to go down.  

11 minutes ago, REDitus said:

This kind of craps on my season winning % picks.   I expected some experience post depth which is now diluted a bit.   

I think the NCAA screwed Nebraska a bit.   I would of thought they could of made this ruling a long time ago.   Nebraska probably would of done their vetting of rotations differently if they got this news more timely.   My opinion of the NCAA continues to go down.  

I'm not worried, actually. I think we have enough bodies, this could actually be a good thing. We get him for the last 11 games, all conference contests. Meanwhile, some of the other guys have an opportunity for greater development. Still, it sucks for Derrick, but at least it looks like he knew this was coming and the only question was whether it would be 14 games or 16.

If the NCAA were fair, Shamiel would be a sophomore right now.

39 minutes ago, REDitus said:

The NCAA did not wait until this morning to tell Nebraska this. Don't worry about our rotation preparation.

Edited by GoBigFred

Without knowing the violation, it is hard to judge this particular instance, but...

I'm just curious, did someone at the NCAA get a mysterious rash at Branched Oak Lake? Was their Runza cold? Did Kool Aid discontinue their favorite flavor? Did  their capital tour induce vertigo? Did Willa Cather and Mari Sandoz write a diss track about their ancestors? Because I cannot think of one case in the 20th or 21st centuries where the NCAA has not taken the opportunity to fully enforce penalties against Nebraska players even when there were extenuating circumstances. Meanwhile I sit here in Tucson with zero fallout from the FBI investigation of the U of A program...