McNeese State (0-0) vs. Nebraska (0-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Well THAT was fun.  A lot to be really happy and excited about. Just a few takes

How nice was it to win a game like McNeese State like the big boys would?  Hell we were going to Overtime with Southern and losing to Cal-Riverside and and some directional school from Utah last year.

Free throw shooting while a challenge in the first half, was great in the second half.

Yvan, while clearly improved, still has a ways to go.  Still really struggles around the rim.

Mayen looks like he will be a big addition

Blanton while not flashy, had just about as good a game as one could hope for.

Allen forced some stuff early but once he settled in looked good.

McGowens was just solid all around, much better scorer than I thought he might be, at least in the first game.

Thor - just continued to do the little things we need done.

Stevenson - looks like he should be a LB on the football team with those arms.  He looked the part today.

Webster - appears to be able to break the defense down and find the open guy.  Also looks to be a PG that can score as needed too.

Wood - looked like a Freshman - both size wise and with the nerves.  He settled in and did okay, I just hope that second shot isn't what we are going to get from him.  

Jace stroked the one shot he got.  

Andre - MIA

Edited by colhusker

I was really impressed with McGowen's defense and overall game.   Lead the team with 3 steals.  

I also thought Thor did a good job with defense and the offense flows well when he is in.

I was elated with Mayen's treys and rebounding.    He's a great fit in this offense. 

Banton is a stat sheet stuffer matchup quandry.  Sky is the limit for him.

Allen is strong and crafty with the ball.   

Strong rotation behind these guys.   I was really impressed with Stevenson.  Strong & versatile player.  Good all around.  Webster ended up as our leading scorer.  He's going to be a spark.  Yvan ended up as our leading rebounder.   He has plenty of room to grow.  

Webster and Banton are really a strong tag-team duo at the PG spot.

You have Banton who, like @REDitussays, is just a stat-sheet stuffer. He doesn't necessarily look for his shot, and maybe doesn't have the best perimeter shot though he is able to finish at the rim pretty capably. But he has a lot of guys in the first wave that he can kick to for THEIR shots.

And then when Webster comes in, he is a shooter, so he can kind of keep the scoring rolling, which is what we saw today. Kobe is still a distributor, for sure, but he's also able to make an impact as that sparkplug off the bench.

I really like this duo.

40 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

They announced postgame he’s out with Covid.

That's not good news. After the Walker announcement and then watching the game, I sure would feel more comfortable to see how Andre holds up. How many games do we play between now and when he would next be available?

Isn't it 3 weeks per League/NCAA guidelines?

8 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That's not good news. After the Walker announcement and then watching the game, I sure would feel more comfortable to see how Andre holds up. How many games do we play between now and when he would next be available?

Isn't it 3 weeks per League/NCAA guidelines?

Not sure, I don't think (maybe they did) Wisconsin's QBs missed 3 games.