Full MBB Non-Conference Schedule Announced

hal9000

• hal9000 changed the title to Full MBB Non-Conference Schedule Announced

Creighton getting that game at home on a Friday instead of at the PBA on a Saturday gives them an extra day before they have to start league play against Marquette on Monday.  It's clearly in their favor.  I think you can argue that having that game at home for our 2021-22 roster is clearly in our favor. We also don't have to wait until 2022 to have a crowd vs the Jays. Seems like a win-win here.

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Creighton getting that game at home on a Friday instead of at the PBA on a Saturday gives them an extra day before they have to start league play against Marquette on Monday.  It's clearly in their favor.  I think you can argue that having that game at home for our 2021-22 roster is clearly in our favor. We also don't have to wait until 2022 to have a crowd vs the Jays. Seems like a win-win here.

Yup.

I get a kick out of analysts this year saying it's a feat for an NFL team (for example) to get a win on the road.  Every game this season is basically a neutral field game.  We're literally playing Creighton at their place, but figuratively it's in Kearney. Home field/court advantage is meaningless this year.

18 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Yup.

I get a kick out of analysts this year saying it's a feat for an NFL team (for example) to get a win on the road.  Every game this season is basically a neutral field game.  We're literally playing Creighton at their place, but figuratively it's in Kearney. Home field/court advantage is meaningless this year.

I still think there are some less tangible benefits to playing at home even in an empty arena.  Sleeping in your own bed, not having to miss classroom time to jump on an airplane, shooting on familiar rims with familiar sightlines, etc.  But in this specific case (playing 60 minutes from home on a Saturday) nearly ever home court advantage has been neutralized.  Other than court & basket familiarity, it is indeed a neutral site game.  

17 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I still think there are some less tangible benefits to playing at home even in an empty arena.  Sleeping in your own bed, not having to miss classroom time to jump on an airplane, shooting on familiar rims with familiar sightlines, etc.  But in this specific case (playing 60 minutes from home on a Saturday) nearly ever home court advantage has been neutralized.  Other than court & basket familiarity, it is indeed a neutral site game.  

Football teams do not sleep in their own beds. They go to hotels to avoid distractions, even for home games.  Not sure about basketball.

1 minute ago, atskooc said:

Football teams do not sleep in their own beds. They go to hotels to avoid distractions, even for home games.  Not sure about basketball.

Same hotel every time though, I assume.  Point is they have a specific routine that they are able to maintain at home.  Travel breaks that routine, and the further you travel the more it affects you.  Hence the well-documented losing percentage of West Coast NFL teams when playing early games on the East Coast.  The more variables you add, and the greater the difference in those variables from a team's "normal," the more it creates a larger home court advantage.

22 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Keep in mind, too, that Creighton has a game at Allen Fieldhouse against Kansas on the 8th.  So that is clearly the red circle date on their non-con schedule.  Maybe a trap game opportunity there...

...just kidding, they'll still beat us by 25, but the preseason is a bit like walking out of QuikTrip with a powerball ticket...plenty of opportunities to dream about.

Edited by 49r

19 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Creighton getting that game on a Friday means they don't have to decide which color to wear for the Minnesota football game on that Saturday too.  That's a win for them.  

Good call, forgot all about checking to see if there was a football game