New article on Women's team

redsteve

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

I am on the Bourne Bandwagon. Let that girl play and get Porter on the court. Sam is going to need to play big minutes. It’s going to be tough to finish in the middle of the pack.

A question?   What do you know about Porter that makes you think she needs to be on the court over the other new unknowns?  Is Porter that good or are the others that bad?

2 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

A question?   What do you know about Porter that makes you think she needs to be on the court over the other new unknowns?  Is Porter that good or are the others that bad?

I don’t know but based on what we have returning, she, Porter, seems like the most viable option.  I see Helms spelling Haiby.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:33 AM, Cazzie22 said:

I am on the Bourne Bandwagon. Let that girl play and get Porter on the court. Sam is going to need to play big minutes. It’s going to be tough to finish in the middle of the pack.

Last season I said  after watching a couple of games.  I was all in..  to Bourne's corner...she's got "it".   She has the big time experience. And with that... comes BBall IQ and leadership.  Like I thought then...just let her play. She doesn't need or want warming a bench.

Will be real surprised if Porter is anything less.

Edited by redsteve

9 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

So best guess for a starting 5? Cain, Bourne, and Haiby are a given barring injury. I really do not see Williams as the type of coach to change the lineup based on the opponents starting five when you maybe one one of two spots unsettled. 

Add Porter and Cravens?  

I'll take a stab at this starting 5....

Cain, Bourne, Haiby, Porter, and...Dillard or Brady (hedging my bet)

Expect to see a different Cain and Bourne. Cain because she's a senior, and she takes the team leadership role. Bourne because.. see her as really improving over last year. She's not a rookie any more and will be one of the team leaders. Expect her to be more dominate.

More than anything just can't wait until Fri night !  Expect a different attitude and excitement

Edited by redsteve

For what it's worth on Hukers.com in the write up about this first game listed as starters are Helms, Haiby, Brady, Bourne and Cain.  If that's what happens it would be great to see a healthy Helms at point with Haiby at her preferred 2 spot.  Or maybe they are just starting out with those players who have experience playing for NU.

9 hours ago, HUD said:

For what it's worth on Hukers.com in the write up about this first game listed as starters are Helms, Haiby, Brady, Bourne and Cain.  If that's what happens it would be great to see a healthy Helms at point with Haiby at her preferred 2 spot.  Or maybe they are just starting out with those players who have experience playing for NU.

Coach likes to sub a lot. This starting 5, gives her some flexibility to bring in a fairly salty 2nd wave. Porter could be our new Brown?  Or, like you say, start slow. Get the kids with experience on the floor first. Experiment the first few games, see what works.  It is an encouraging sign that Helms is starting.

41 minutes ago, caveman said:

I will go with Haiby, Cain, Bourne, Porter and Cayton.  Mostly to be different.  See a few picks for Brady and the staff is really high on her.  I saw she understood position defense really well other than that had no read on her game.  

You better listen to the radio show from last night. that I posted it in the media thread, sounds like Cayton is on the IR.

Edited by Bugeaters1

5 minutes ago, mwm89 said:

Was the injury something that happened recently or a "carryover" from when she was at Cal?

Carryover....She's had numerous injuries over the last few years, and hasn't played at Cal, still not fully recovered. Sounds like she's getting closer to play, but not yet. She was an excellent player when originally committed to Connie back then....2016 I think...very quick and skilled guard. 

It was an nice chance to have her come back, would love to see her play. But may not be in the cards.  We'll see. Hope to see her having a chance on the floor for her sake...and ours of course.

21 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Carryover....She's had numerous injuries over the last few years, and hasn't played at Cal, still not fully recovered. Sounds like she's getting closer to play, but not yet. She was an excellent player when originally committed to Connie back then....2016 I think...very quick and skilled guard. 

It was an nice chance to have her come back, would love to see her play. But may not be in the cards.  We'll see. Hope to see her having a chance on the floor for her sake...and ours of course.

Kind of what I figured.  It seems at times we're taking players w/ injury problems where we need healthy players.  I certainly hope she can contribute at some point and fairly soon.  (I want what's best for her, however).  Yes, she was committed in 2016 when Yori was dismissed.  I'll have to look up what happened to Dillard.

2 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Kind of what I figured.  It seems at times we're taking players w/ injury problems where we need healthy players.  I certainly hope she can contribute at some point and fairly soon.  (I want what's best for her, however).  Yes, she was committed in 2016 when Yori was dismissed.  I'll have to look up what happened to Dillard.

Recruiting has been disappointing at times.  The current group, that recently signed, appears significantly better.  This staff might be trending up (hopefully).