New article on Women's team

redsteve

First article I've seen that has many details of what the teams been doing

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/amy-williams-finds-silver-lining-as-covid-injuries-disrupt-practice-for-husker-women/article_d0e2cad5-02f3-5709-987b-583c6d082243.html

QUOTES

"Injuries, including some that lingered from years past, have cut into NU’s practice roster, as well. The frontcourt — Cain, Isabelle Bourne, Bella Cravens and Annika Stewart — has been relatively intact for training camp. The backcourt, where Nebraska is looking for players to complement junior captain Sam Haiby, has been a constant shuffle."

Williams said, with building chemistry in the offseason following an overhaul in the way Nebraska will develop leaders and select captains. Williams’ new framework is based on a variety of sources, she said, including conversations with Husker volleyball coach John Cook.

Chemistry on the court? That’ll take time.

“Because of injuries and COVID interruptions, our kids haven’t had near enough time on the court together to learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses or be where we would like to be in a normal year,” Williams said.

Big Ten games may start in early December, Williams said.

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

First article I've seen that has many details of what the teams been doing

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/amy-williams-finds-silver-lining-as-covid-injuries-disrupt-practice-for-husker-women/article_d0e2cad5-02f3-5709-987b-583c6d082243.html

QUOTES

"Injuries, including some that lingered from years past, have cut into NU’s practice roster, as well. The frontcourt — Cain, Isabelle Bourne, Bella Cravens and Annika Stewart — has been relatively intact for training camp. The backcourt, where Nebraska is looking for players to complement junior captain Sam Haiby, has been a constant shuffle."

Williams said, with building chemistry in the offseason following an overhaul in the way Nebraska will develop leaders and select captains. Williams’ new framework is based on a variety of sources, she said, including conversations with Husker volleyball coach John Cook.

Chemistry on the court? That’ll take time.

“Because of injuries and COVID interruptions, our kids haven’t had near enough time on the court together to learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses or be where we would like to be in a normal year,” Williams said.

Big Ten games may start in early December, Williams said.

So coach looked to Cook on how to build team chemistry. 

I called in to the coach and Mike show the other night and asked the the following.  "With the advent of losing Taylor Kissinger whom we all really liked, what options do you have at the 3 position this year".  Amy said that Trinity Brady and Ruby Porter have been playing some there but they also have been playing Izzy Bourne there as well.  She can handle the ball, play defense and rebound.  Amy said she has also been working hard at extending her range from the outside.  I hadn't considered her there but I really like it.

Not to be too repetitious from what has already been said...

We recruited several players that have injury histories, so to have the same issues now...it would seem is kind of expected. Could have a couple on the bench unable to play some of then time? 

But we have lots of options like was described about Bourne. If she can move out to the three, them Coach must feel she's got some others (Cravens, Stewart) besides Cain, to fill in down low. 

I guess without seeing the "newbies" in person would think Cain and Borne would be a good combo at the 4 & 5...but combinations obviously depend on what you have to work with.  

Such a new squad makes it tough to get a full roster of "Williams" experience on the floor together. Apparently we'll have very few non conference games. This new roster needs time on the floor together...that makes getting into a flow early... a tall task. 

The next couple of years look real good on paper, just get them game experience and even Coach Cooks influence...who knows how far we can go. Cook just has the ability to put together teams that play consistently at a high level...real news to everyone here of course. 

Edited by redsteve

11 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I'm thinking Mackenzie helms anybody else got any ideas

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

i retain the point of view husker fans are just not going to see that much of Helms (and...i always have stated i hope she proves me wrong, but, with her chronic condition?)

Scoggins---isn't it at least 3 acl surgeries? one surgery was botched.

Cayton---acl, maybe twice?

Brady---out a chunk of last season to concussion issues? plus, i believe she was in a car accident during her hs career and they weren't sure if she could play again due to head trauma? hoping that doesn't become an issue. 

yes, fans are inquisitive🙃 so we sit at our computers/phones and wonder if the injuries are related to past issues. pretty sure of the one, though.

On her show coach Williams alluded to the fact that the fans haven't really seen the real Trinity Brady and she has been doing well in practice.  In my opinion Helms and Cayton have not shown they can play well after their multiple injuries.  So to me I wouldn't count on them.  The key is Scoggins who we really need to help at the point.  She has had several knee surgeries in the past but unlike the other two played played for a full season last year and did well.  She is an excellent shooter and knows the point guard position picking up numerous JC honors on a team that won their region.

1 hour ago, HUD said:

On her show coach Williams alluded to the fact that the fans haven't really seen the real Trinity Brady and she has been doing well in practice.  In my opinion Helms and Cayton have not shown they can play well after their multiple injuries.  So to me I wouldn't count on them.  The key is Scoggins who we really need to help at the point.  She has had several knee surgeries in the past but unlike the other two played played for a full season last year and did well.  She is an excellent shooter and knows the point guard position picking up numerous JC honors on a team that won their region.

Dilliard, Porter, and Cravens most likely will have to match expectations for the huskers to contend for a spot in the middle of the pack. i read where Scoggins played very well last season....hopefully, it continues in the Big Ten. she'll be up against some pretty good guard play in this conference. so many questions for the upcoming season---not to mention the covid crap. right now, i just feel this squad could finish anywhere from 8th to 14th. much may have to do how well they can play together...and, not much experience there.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

ANOTHER NEW ARTICLE IN OWH 11 23 20

In part.... a lot about chemistry change we've talked about

Bourne, who improved as the season wore on and earned more playing time, could see the issues.

"We just struggled with the leadership last year," Bourne said. "We didn't have a big emphasis on it, so sometimes it didn't feel like we had someone to keep us accountable."

Williams spent the offseason — elongated by the coronavirus — reading and talking to other coaches, including volleyball coach John Cook, about how to create leadership. From various sources, she put together a plan she said works for her team. Bourne, Cain and Haiby all had to fill out captain applications, for example. They've done book studies. They've talked to NU's sports psychologists.

"We made some pretty dramatic changes with how we handle it," Williams said. "We're much more intentional, and it's new for us. It's one of the few benefits COVID gave us — a break time to step back, pause and evaluate the different ways and ideas to develop different or better leadership within the program."

Nebraska tends to have a team slogan. This year, it's FACT — Family Action Changes Things.

"It's very much a team-based game," Bourne said. "One person isn't better than anybody else. Everybody has a job to do."

Edited by redsteve

I think the one thing that is a little eye opening is the fact it seems like very little time was committed to building leadership skills. Reading Bourne's comments about last year. Williams talk about "it's new for us". Williams has quite a few tools she can use here and it sounds like they really did not give it much thought til things got shutdown by CV19. I would say that is part of the reason why we have seen the results on the court. Maybe this is how this staff and program turn the corner and take the next step in the B1G and NCAA.

2 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

I think the one thing that is a little eye opening is the fact it seems like very little time was committed to building leadership skills. Reading Bourne's comments about last year. Williams talk about "it's new for us". Williams has quite a few tools she can use here and it sounds like they really did not give it much thought til things got shutdown by CV19. I would say that is part of the reason why we have seen the results on the court. Maybe this is how this staff and program turn the corner and take the next step in the B1G and NCAA.

Yeah that is a bit troubling.

I think what caught the coaches by surprise was that when the seniors last season were sophs we had that really good season.  We had good leadership from the seniors then (probably developed under Yori's time) and we thought that would carry on automatically with the sophs as they became upper classmen.  That didn't happen automatically as every year is different.  The Volleyball program has to develop new leaders every year or two and it's apparent the WBB team will have to do the same.

i think Cain has developed into a pretty good leader. i was really impressed how she stepped up at times last season (or maybe i should say sat). especially after that OSU game. having said that, i think that "natural born leader" has been missing. thought maybe it might be there with Brown?...of course, she is gone now. have to see what they got with the "new" players.