Presser 2020-11-16

hhcmatt

HC Fred Hoiberg

(my notes in italics)

Schedule

• We have a game lined up for Nov 25th and then 2 games lined up for the Golden Window Event. Seeing that the team for the 25th will be McNeese St.  We also have Creighton and Georgia Tech which means there should be 2 other games, assuming a 20 game conference schedule. 
  • Waiting on the Big 10 and then hoping to announce the schedule in the next 24-48 hours.  Wonder if some of that delay is either for the number of games or else when they will be played.
  • Had an inter-squad scrimmage with B1G refs last week and will have back-to-back scrimmages this week to prepare for the season. Teddy Allen put up 29 points.

Recruiting class

• Keisei Tominaga: HCFH thinks he'll be one of the best shooters in the country next year. Impressed that even though he's the focal point of the opposing team's scouting report where teams don't leave him and he has to take difficult shots, he still made them at a high percentage. He's played on a high stage so D-1 won't be too big of a moment for him. He's an incredibly popular figure in his country. Name is pronounced 'Kay-Shay'
  • Wilhelm Breidenbach: Told a story about WB standing out among a group of top recruits at one of the first events they had went to as part of the Nebraska staff. He's a guy who is 6'10" , incredible passer who can pass with both hands, can pop to the top of the floor and knock down shots, can initiate offense, and has a high motor.

• Bryce McGowens: Talked about how this was a program changing signing and how Trey McGowens was able to sell him on what Nebraska has to offer in staff, facilities and playing style.

Matt A. 

Always worth a listen because it gives you insight into why he's such an elite recruiter. He's mostly painting a vision here but otherwise here were the few things that seemed the most noteworthy 

Needed a translator initially with Keisei..."didn't speak a lick of English".  Was impressed that he was able to make the transition from Japan to Ranger, Texas and still play at a high level.

Wilhelm brings the skill and versatility at the center spot that Nebraska needs to execute the offense at a high level. At this point he's not even close to reaching his potential.

View full article

6 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

He says Keisei Tominaga made 48 three pointers in a row from the right corner, last season, while being the focal point of opposing defenses and while playing against a high level of competition.

Hmmmm . . . that's not bad.

Just to clarify, those 48 three pointers in a row were made during a shooting drill.

2 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Do you mean that's easier than in a game?

Yes, it is easier than in a game as there is no defender, but still very impressive. But that isn't why I responded. Your statement made it sound like (at least to me) he made 48 consecutive 3's during the course of the season from the right corner. My bad if I misinterpreted what you were saying. 🙂

12 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

Yes, it is easier than in a game as there is no defender, but still very impressive. But that isn't why I responded. Your statement made it sound like (at least to me) he made 48 consecutive 3's during the course of the season from the right corner. My bad if I misinterpreted what you were saying. 🙂

No, you were correct the first time.

Here's what went awry: my first comment was a mistake, but my second was supposed to be a joke (its execution was, obviously, not very funny).