Fred...

I told my friends for a long time before we hired him (towards the end of his time with the Bulls when there was talk of him getting fired) that if we’re ever looking for a new coach, the first guy they should reach out to was Fred Hoiberg due to his connections to Lincoln and the university.  Every single person laughed at me.  Guess who is laughing now?

26 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I told my friends for a long time before we hired him (towards the end of his time with the Bulls when there was talk of him getting fired) that if we’re ever looking for a new coach, the first guy they should reach out to was Fred Hoiberg due to his connections to Lincoln and the university.  Every single person laughed at me.  Guess who is laughing now?

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493be4v939bt80zntn3qk6

I lived in Mpls for a long time before I returned to my native Nebraska & Wolves fans swooned up there for years @ the thought of Fred as their Coach. Given his history as a Player & Exec. with the Franchise that seemed reasonable if not likely. It’s days like today tho that I’m reminded he’s Coaching my Alma Mater & it STILL seems unreal...

1 hour ago, REDZONEDAN said:

On 11/13/2020 at 11:32 AM, LK1 said:

is the steal hire of the decade in college basketball.  

Can’t say it enough...  

He’s that dude.  

Totally agree but think Matt deserves more credit on this one as he starting recruiting Bryce a few years ago already.  Fred was the best hire we could have hoped for but without Matt joining the staff, this might not have been possible.

I am curious how well we would be recruiting if HCFH didn't have Matt A on his staff.  Hopefully we never have to find out and Matt remains content as Fred's ace recruiter.  But if he does aspire to becoming a head coach someday, it makes me wonder what our recruiting would look like.

27 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I am curious how well we would be recruiting if HCFH didn't have Matt A on his staff.  Hopefully we never have to find out and Matt remains content as Fred's ace recruiter.  But if he does aspire to becoming a head coach someday, it makes me wonder what our recruiting would look like.

Interesting question. My sense is that Fred has excellent CEO-type skills and he would find a top-notch recruiter who would be a great fit for his staff. 

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I think a big draw for Fred is he coached in the NBA and played in the NBA. That will automatically sell kids who have NBA ambition. Matt A is definitely a closer, but Fred’s background can get him in the door with just about any kid. 

3 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

Interesting question. My sense is that Fred has excellent CEO-type skills and he would find a top-notch recruiter who would be a great fit for his staff. 

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I think a big draw for Fred is he coached in the NBA and played in the NBA. That will automatically sell kids who have NBA ambition. Matt A is definitely a closer, but Fred’s background can get him in the door with just about any kid. 

To answer my own question--

I think we keep Matt for at least one more recruiting cycle simply because I don't think he would've left his alma mater if he saw Nebraska as only a 2 year gig.  And at that point, in theory, we should be reaping the reward of our great recruiting run by fielding an NCAA Tourney-quality team.  So let's fast forward to March 2022, where Nebraska is fresh off it's first Tourney win and Matt is getting serious looks at head coaching jobs.  At that point I think Fred will have his pick of up-and-coming ace recruiters by selling his own NBA experience and our team's recent success (both on the court and on the recruiting trails, hopefully).  So losing our own stud recruiter won't matter as much.

What is a far more depressing hypothetical is wondering how things would be turning out now had we never lured Matt away from St John's.  While I think we'd be happy with the general trajectory of recruiting, it's hard to imagine we would have gotten such a talented roster so fast.  I love HCFH, but let's not undersell the importance of Matt Ablemasiudbaiubdas.  He is the MVP of both recruiting and spell check! 

The impression I'm getting is that Matt A isn't really 'coaching' which would basically rule him out of any sort of Power 5 job.  He's making Horizon League HC money here. He could easily leave for an assistant job somewhere else but seems pretty unlikely he's leaving to be a head coach anywhere.

49 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The impression I'm getting is that Matt A isn't really 'coaching' which would basically rule him out of any sort of Power 5 job.  He's making Horizon League HC money here. He could easily leave for an assistant job somewhere else but seems pretty unlikely he's leaving to be a head coach anywhere.

That is my impression as well.  It sounds like each assistant has a specific role with the team and Matt's is to recruit. I'm not sure he has to many other responsibilities and I don't think he even scouts or game preps.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Don't rule out a Head Coaching gig at Indiana...I hear they're giving that out to pretty much anyone.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:58 AM, aphilso1 said:

I dont think Matt has those aspirations.  Honestly Im not sure how much coaching Matt does other than player relationships and eyeballing talent.  That and the fact him and Fred are tight I dont see Matt leaving to coach with someone else since his niche is recruiting. 

Edited by coughunter

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Things Fred has done and the season hasn’t even started yet...

1.  Signed our first ever 5* and a likely top 25-35 class.

2.  Got us 3 Big 10 Saturday games.

3.  Got us games on both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I mean is this the year?

It’s a given since it’s likely no NU fan will even be there to see it