Bryce McGowens is N

hhcmatt

Nebraska Basketball gains the commitment of the first 5 star freshman in school history as Bryce McGowens chooses the Huskers over Georgia.  The combination of family connections (will play alongside brother Trey next year) and Fred Hoiberg's fast paced offense proved to be an offer to good to pass up for McGowens, ranked in the top 30 for the class of 2021 by most national recruiting services.  The 6'6" McGowens is noted for his size and skill combination and deep shooting range

Initially signed to Florida St, McGowens decommitted in October of 2020 and Nebraska immediately entered into the picture with their previous recruitment of Bryce and Trey McGowens' presence.

View full article

HALLELUJAH!!! I always knew unicorns existed because it seems like we finally landed one.  Many have suggested this was the hopeful end game all along in bringing Trey here.  Trey seems like a very good player in his own right and if this was part of the master plan for Fred and company, kudos to them for quite the coup!!!!!

It is always a great day to be a fan, but this one feels especially good.  The trajectory of the program looks unbelievable.  Now we just have to put it together on the court, something I have no doubt Fred can pull off.

Nebraska now has the 25th best recruiting class in the country (4th in the Big Ten) according to 247.  Of course that's likely to change by the time the dust settles on the '21 class, but for today it's good to see us up there:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Season/2021-Basketball/Commits/

Full team rankings here:

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

Nebraska now has the 25th best recruiting class in the country (4th in the Big Ten) according to 247.  Of course that's likely to change by the time the dust settles on the '21 class, but for today it's good to see us up there:

Full team rankings here:

I’d say we’re in some pretty good company there.

29 minutes ago, 49r said:

Full team rankings here:

Iowa barely made the top 100 with only 1 3-star commit. Apparently, Fran ran out of kids.

Beautiful thing to see: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/bryce-mcgowens-236024

clto5ffmxoqdor0csvqg
BRYCE
MCGOWENS

SHOOTING GUARD
6'6''

|

175 LBS
CLASS OF 2021

RANKINGS
-

RATING
NATL
POS
-
ST

COMMITMENT STATUS
PREVIOUSLY COMMITTED TO
FLORIDA STATE 02/08/2020 - 10/08/2020

SCHOOLS SNAPSHOT
OFFERS

TOTAL SCHOOL INTERESTS

HIGH
MEDIUM
LOW

If these quotes from Bryce don't get you excited, not sure what else will!!!

On being the highest ranked recruit in program history:

"It's an honor," McGowens said. "It means that I have a chance to be a trendsetter. I want to attract the best players in the country to come to Nebraska."

On his fit in the program

"I feel like I can make a major impact from day one, doing whatever is needed to elevate the program to put us in a position to win a championship," McGowens said. "That's the goal. I've always prided myself on winning and we expect to be competing for a championship next season. I also want my impact to go further than the court, where kids across the country view Nebraska as a program to take serious."

So, anyone know how I can pre-order 2022 final four tickets?!?!  😀

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30310425/bryce-mcgowens-no-33-becomes-nebraska-highest-ranked-commit

30 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I've followed basketball recruiting closely for almost a couple decades now. Every year there are 5 stars who shouldn't be 5 stars. Usually they're uber athletic kids with no actual basketball skill. This is frustrating, because they end up getting labeled as a bust by their school's fanbase and the media, but in reality they should have never been that highly ranked to begin with. I hate to put too much hype on a kid, but as a recruit, Bryce is underrated. I think he's a top 10 or 15 recruit in this class. Jaden Hardy is the only guard I'd for sure put ahead of him. Maybe Max Christie and Trevor Keels.

Many 5 star recruits end up struggling their freshman year, but Bryce has a skill that'll translate to the next level even if he struggles in every other aspect of the game. He can flat out shoot the ball. He has legitimate NBA range right now and his 1-motion shot (a la Steph Curry and Trae Young) allows for that range and to get off his shot very quickly. His stroke is so compact and repeatable. Go watch some of Bryce's high school games on Youtube. The competition he played at Wren was solid, but his teammates were rough to watch. He was face-guarded everywhere he went. A lot of his shots were off the dribble and heavily contested, and he still has shot 42% from 3 in his high school career as a high volume shooter. 

I'm gonna compare him to Hunter Sallis again, because Husker fans are more familiar with Hunter than other high profile recruit. Both guys play on and off the ball for their high school teams and can be called combo guards. Both have tight handles and pretty good court vision. Bryce is a couple inches taller and longer. People rave about Hunter's athleticism and the only knock on Bryce seems to be his lack of explosiveness. But, there are videos of Bryce damn near hitting his head on the rim... Due to his long and lanky build, it almost looks like he's playing in slow motion. I think he has sneaky athleticism like James Palmer.  I believe Bryce played AGAINST better players in SC, but Hunter played WITH much better players at Millard North (all 5 starters on last years team will play D1. 4 of them will be at Power 5 schools). Usually kids that have to carry their high school team, do it with low efficiency and low shooting percentages. Bryce averaged more points, rebounds, steals, blocks and less turnovers than Hunter. He's also a much better shooter. 

Hunter made 27/88 three point attempts for 31%.

Bryce has shot 542 threes over the past 3 years! At a 42% clip. 

Hunter's mid-range game is his best offense at this point, but that'll likely have to change in college, due to his slower release and increased athleticism of his defenders. I like Hunter and think he'll be just fine at the next level. But if I'm a coach and had to choose only one of these guys to win with next year, I'm taking Bryce and it's not really close for me. 

Excellent analysis.  I, too, have seen the James Palmer similarities.  And as good of a player as JPJ was for us, I think that is actually the floor for Bryce.  He has JPJ's athleticism and smoothness, but is a much better natural shooter.  

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

We officially have a higher rated recruit than these schools....

Ohio State

Villanova

Cuse

Purdue

UCLA

and....... currently.....

KANSAS!

What does this do as far UNL in the overall rankings? watching the high school games last night on ESPN, they had OSU, Nova, and I think Kansas in the top 10.

52 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I've followed basketball recruiting closely for almost a couple decades now. Every year there are 5 stars who shouldn't be 5 stars. Usually they're uber athletic kids with no actual basketball skill. This is frustrating, because they end up getting labeled as a bust by their school's fanbase and the media, but in reality they should have never been that highly ranked to begin with. I hate to put too much hype on a kid, but as a recruit, Bryce is underrated. I think he's a top 10 or 15 recruit in this class. Jaden Hardy is the only guard I'd for sure put ahead of him. Maybe Max Christie and Trevor Keels.

Many 5 star recruits end up struggling their freshman year, but Bryce has a skill that'll translate to the next level even if he struggles in every other aspect of the game. He can flat out shoot the ball. He has legitimate NBA range right now and his 1-motion shot (a la Steph Curry and Trae Young) allows for that range and to get off his shot very quickly. His stroke is so compact and repeatable. Go watch some of Bryce's high school games on Youtube. The competition he played at Wren was solid, but his teammates were rough to watch. He was face-guarded everywhere he went. A lot of his shots were off the dribble and heavily contested, and he still has shot 42% from 3 in his high school career as a high volume shooter. 

I'm gonna compare him to Hunter Sallis again, because Husker fans are more familiar with Hunter than other high profile recruit. Both guys play on and off the ball for their high school teams and can be called combo guards. Both have tight handles and pretty good court vision. Bryce is a couple inches taller and longer. People rave about Hunter's athleticism and the only knock on Bryce seems to be his lack of explosiveness. But, there are videos of Bryce damn near hitting his head on the rim... Due to his long and lanky build, it almost looks like he's playing in slow motion. I think he has sneaky athleticism like James Palmer.  I believe Bryce played AGAINST better players in SC, but Hunter played WITH much better players at Millard North (all 5 starters on last years team will play D1. 4 of them will be at Power 5 schools). Usually kids that have to carry their high school team, do it with low efficiency and low shooting percentages. Bryce averaged more points, rebounds, steals, blocks and less turnovers than Hunter. He's also a much better shooter. 

Hunter made 27/88 three point attempts for 31%.

Bryce has shot 542 threes over the past 3 years! At a 42% clip. 

Hunter's mid-range game is his best offense at this point, but that'll likely have to change in college, due to his slower release and increased athleticism of his defenders. I like Hunter and think he'll be just fine at the next level. But if I'm a coach and had to choose only one of these guys to win with next year, I'm taking Bryce and it's not really close for me. 

Did you see the 7'0" kid play last night on ESPN? He was bringing the fricken ball up court. that kid has crazy skills and he is the #1 kid in the country. His dad played @ minny I guess.

1 minute ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Did you see the 7'0" kid play last night on ESPN? He was bringing the fricken ball up court. that kid has crazy skills and he is the #1 kid in the country. His dad played @ minny I guess.

Didn’t watch last night, but have seen a ton of his highlights. I actually hope he signs with Minny. My guess is Gonzaga, though. 

Just now, millerhusker said:

Didn’t watch last night, but have seen a ton of his highlights. I actually hope he signs with Minny. My guess is Gonzaga, though. 

That kid was an animal last night. He ended up with almost half of his teams points. And Jaden Hardy, he hit a couple of 35' treys with ease last night. his team won, And he had almost half of his teams points.