Huskers to Play in Golden Window Classic **Update**

hhcmatt

The University of Nebraska announces they will play in an event dubbed the Golden Window Classic hosted by Elevate Hoops.  The multiple-team event (MTE) will take place Wednesday, Nov. 25 to Sunday, Nov. 29, and will feature games at both Pinnacle Bank Arena and the Bob Devaney Sports Center.  A MTE allows D-1 schools to increase their number of allowed games from 25 to 27.

The eight schools participating in the event includes at this time Nebraska, LSU, Saint Louis, Northern Iowa, Western Kentucky, San Francisco, Nevada and Illinois State. With teams playing 2-3 games each we're looking at anywhere from 8 to 12 total games. Given the tourney takes place over 5 days, we're looking at 2-3 games per day at 2 venues. 

Currently the plan is to sell tickets at Pinnacle Bank Arena only, and capped at 25 percent capacity. Fans will not be allowed at the Devaney Sports Center.  Seems probable that Nebraska will play its 2-3 games at PBA.  At this point the broadcasts are up in the air which means we could see a combination of games televised on sports channels (ESPN, BTN, etc) or streamed via PPV.

** Update **

Illinois State and Northern Iowa dropped out of the event.

Chadron St was added to fill in a couple of games.

** Update **

Western Kentucky, San Francisco, LSU, Saint Louis, and Chadron St have all dropped out.

North Dakota St added

View full article

GoldenWindow.jpg.18f002e8c7c7cd6d6bc2862

Answerable questions:

Will Nebraska play 2 or 3 games? Who will they play?

Will more teams be added?

Would a game at the Bob count as a neutral game for us?

Will there be further restrictions on ticket sales at the PBA if Covid gets worse?

Will any of the Nebraska games require a PPV stream?

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Who is actually in charge of this tournament and when are the matchups going to be announced? This is beginning to resemble looking for pick up games at the local YMCA.

Unfortunately, with Covid, you won’t have anything “set in stone” until teams are actually on the floor and playing.  I’m sure matchups could be announced, but everything this season (as we’ve seen with football) is going to be fluid.

On the flip side of ISU dropping out, we’re opening with McNeese St next week NOT part of the MTE.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Unfortunately, with Covid, you won’t have anything “set in stone” until teams are actually on the floor and playing.  I’m sure matchups could be announced, but everything this season (as we’ve seen with football) is going to be fluid.

On the flip side of ISU dropping out, we’re opening with McNeese St next week NOT part of the MTE.

So the McNeese St game is odd to me.  Robin tweeted this is now scheduled 11/25.  You would think with 7 teams still that you could still give everyone 3 games to play and that NU shouldn't have felt compelled to bring in another team.  It feels like there is more at play here that we are going to learn about soon (i.e. there may be other teams dropping out).

6 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

So the McNeese St game is odd to me.  Robin tweeted this is now scheduled 11/25.  You would think with 7 teams still that you could still give everyone 3 games to play and that NU shouldn't have felt compelled to bring in another team.  It feels like there is more at play here that we are going to learn about soon (i.e. there may be other teams dropping out).

A few other options that came to my mind....

1. The schedule was already set when ISU dropped out and they didn't want to re-work it even though it hasn't been released.
  2. Some teams within the tourney didn't want 3 games.  I believe that was stated early on that everyone would get "2-3 games" but 3 wasn't a hard set number.