Keeping Up with Old Friends (The Transferred Thread)

hhcmatt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HB said:

Maybe with some patience and development, he could have done that here.  

He could start chain smoking and he'd grit Lat Mayen off a court all night long.  Having Cross and Briedenbach at the 4 with a 3pt shooting limit this season and maybe, just maybe,  we don't have a 20 page hot seat thread.

18 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Pfft. Patience and development?!? We'll just reload in the transfer market. It's all the rage. Pretty soon it'll be nothing but dancing and banners!

And also replace poor to average 3 point shooters with new guys who come in and shoot them great….

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

He could start chain smoking and he'd grit Lat Mayen off a court all night long.  Having Cross and Briedenbach at the 4 with a 3pt shooting limit this season and maybe, just maybe,  we don't have a 20 page hot seat thread.

Kevin Cross is not the reason NE is where it is today.  He plays for Tulane.

I would love to have Cross instead of Lat.  But if I wasn’t president of the Kevin Cross fan club, I was at least the #2 member.  I believe it was against Indiana at the end of his time here where he just went off….he looked like he could become a good player with more experience.  Water under the bridge now.

33 minutes ago, busticket said:

I would love to have Cross instead of Lat.  But if I wasn’t president of the Kevin Cross fan club, I was at least the #2 member.  I believe it was against Indiana at the end of his time here where he just went off….he looked like he could become a good player with more experience.  Water under the bridge now.

Would you say, "a player who could be a very effective piece by their junior and senior year?!?!?!?!?!"

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Would that be the Tulane that is 36 spots ahead of us in RPI rankings? Or the Tulane that is 83 spots ahead of us in NET rankings? 

Still Tulane.  Not a power 5 school.  NE is garbage so the comparison isnt fair as far as the numbers.  The competition he plays against is a different level.

I just noticed that Tulane recently (2017) reverted back to their old logo.  Admittedly, most my experience with Tulane at this time was as the answer to a college sports trivia question (name the schools with a mascot that doesn't end in the letter "s") and when Nebraska beat them in the NIT Semifinals.  But I do vaguely recall this lazily designed logo.

tulane_green_wave_logo_primary_1986_spor

Soon after they decided to up the logo effort and add-in their pelican mascot, Riptide.  Much like the efforts of their New Orleans NBA counterparts, these efforts were poorly received.

tulane_green_wave_logo_primary_19988135.

So a mere seven years later they again went back to form of the T-logo, but this time with a much more pronounced wave that did not look like a blue highlighter running out of ink.  A decade later this logo was further refined to make the wave actually look green.

tulane_green_wave_logo_primary_2005_spor

tulane_green_wave_logo_primary_20143048.

But in 2017,  some one at Tulane had an epiphany.  They looked back into the archives and saw that the answer they'd been desperately searching for had been right their in front of their eyes the entire time, menacingly shaking an angry fist at them:

tulane_green_wave_logo_primary_1964_spor

This gem was used by Tulane from 1964-1986.  And it is absolutely terrible.  If it wasn't holding a pennant that generically displays the school's name, no one would have any idea what the hell this is.  It looks more like a green starfish or snowcapped pine tree.

But it is ironically bad.  I'm not sure anyone could've devised a worse logo if they tried, and because of that it's actually kind of great.  The other logos are the kind of bland bullshit that is derived from a university's cumbersome bureaucratic selection process.

So in 2017, Tulane brought back the angry wave logo.  Only this time they made the top of the wave blue, so that maybe someone would think it was water.  And they removed the generic Tulane pennant and added a generic Tulane megaphone.  Because shouting is more aggressive.  And thankfully they left the shaking fist.

tulane_green_wave_logo_primary_2017_spor

Apologies for the long, off-topic post.  Watching my Clippers lose by 20 to the T'wolves so really just trying to occupy my mind.  This all does kinda reminds me of our love affair with the old Basketball Herbie and script Huskers logo sets.