No ACC-B1G Challenge

Fastbreaker

Per SB Nation....

Per a report made by the Atlantic Coast Conference to ESPN, the Big Ten has cancelled the annual women’s ACC/Big Ten Challenge for women’s basketball this season. This came out the same day that the pairings for the annual men’s challenge were formally announced by the two conferences.

What is still lacking at this point is a clear reason from the Big Ten Conference for why the men can play, but the women cannot. The appearance certainly is not a good look for the Big Ten, and a clarifying statement would be beneficial. In its absence, fans are left to wonder about how much the Big Ten values equality and fairness in sports for their student-athletes.

Edited by 12dozen

Per SB Nation....

Per a report made by the Atlantic Coast Conference to ESPN, the Big Ten has cancelled the annual women’s ACC/Big Ten Challenge for women’s basketball this season. This came out the same day that the pairings for the annual men’s challenge were formally announced by the two conferences.

What is still lacking at this point is a clear reason from the Big Ten Conference for why the men can play, but the women cannot. The appearance certainly is not a good look for the Big Ten, and a clarifying statement would be beneficial. In its absence, fans are left to wonder about how much the Big Ten values equality and fairness in sports for their student-athletes.

The B1G does NOT value women's athletics equally with men's. Any attempt by the B1G to say otherwise is simply bull$hit.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

statement will/should be interesting. how does this make any sense? Warren gets a big fat "F" from me, so far.

i see espn reached out to the Big Ten for a response and heard nothing. not good...you make a decision like this (men can play, but, women can't) you better be prepared with an explanation or, maybe i should say at least an attempt . btw, ACC stated they were "disappointed" in the decision...so, they were ready to play.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Who knows.  With the season starting a little over 3 weeks from now you sure would think we would have something.  Again I'm sure that the Big Ten is in control with their crazy non transparent rules and regulations.  Never have I seen an organization with such pathetic communication and it all starts at the top.

• 3 weeks later...

first of all, it is possible i have missed the explanation? (if there was one)...

having said that, is anyone else shocked there hasn't been more "pushback" from wcbb about cancellation of ACC Challenge from the women's side? along the lines, "if the men can hold their challenge, why can't the women?" i know it's late, but just surprised there wasn't more of an uproar when announced.

maybe someone with more knowledge could pass something along?

5 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

first of all, it is possible i have missed the explanation? (if there was one)...

having said that, is anyone else shocked there hasn't been more "pushback" from wcbb about cancellation of ACC Challenge from the women's side? along the lines, "if the men can hold their challenge, why can't the women?" i know it's late, but just surprised there wasn't more of an uproar when announced.

maybe someone with more knowledge could pass something along?

I don''t think non was given. But the men can play in the challenge.