Preliminary starting lineup for 21-22

Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Before Bryce McGowens committed to Nebraska, my answer to the starting lineup question would have been

1- Dalano Banton

2- Trey McGowens

3- Teddy Allen

4- Lat Mayen

5- Yvan Ouedraogo

I'm even more curious about this question now that McGowens will be here. Is there any chance that the first 5-star in Nebraska basketball history could somehow not start next season? That sounds ludacris to say out loud, but who would he knock out? Would Bryce take Banton's place at the 1 spot?

No chance McGowens isn't starting next year.  If that happens, might be the last 5 star that would consider coming here.  As tough as it is to think about who will be starting this year, it's going to be extremely difficult to figure out starting five for next year.  If I had to guess now, it would be: Banton, McGowen, McGowen, Allen, and Yvan (or whoever is our best low post player).

I think it’s likely that at least one of those guys won’t be here next year. Will Teddy want to start making money playing basketball after a solid year? I wouldn’t blame him if he did. He has two children to provide for. 

Will Dalano have a Royce White year and be one and done? The staff thinks he has NBA potential. 
How will Yvan handle his minutes possibly decreasing with the additions of Walker, Eduardo and Lat? 

I’m pretty confident the McGowens and Lat will be here next year. Outside of them, it’s hard tellin’. 

22 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

No chance McGowens isn't starting next year.  If that happens, might be the last 5 star that would consider coming here.  As tough as it is to think about who will be starting this year, it's going to be extremely difficult to figure out starting five for next year.  If I had to guess now, it would be: Banton, McGowen, McGowen, Allen, and Yvan (or whoever is our best low post player).

I was thinking about this the other day and if Hunter Sallis came to NU I would not be that surprised if he did not start for us. He and McGowens are ranked about the same but I too expect McGowens to start right away.  It will be interesting to see how it goes with these two.

1 minute ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I was thinking about this the other day and if Hunter Sallis came to NU I would not be that surprised if he did not start for us. He and McGowens are ranked about the same but I too expect McGowens to start right away.  It will be interesting to see how it goes with these two.

It's the shooting that will get Bryce on the court.  He's an elite shooter from anywhere.  That's a major difference between he and Sallis offensively.  

2 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Before Bryce McGowens committed to Nebraska, my answer to the starting lineup question would have been

1- Dalano Banton

2- Trey McGowens

3- Teddy Allen

4- Lat Mayen

5- Yvan Ouedraogo

I'm even more curious about this question now that McGowens will be here. Is there any chance that the first 5-star in Nebraska basketball history could somehow not start next season? That sounds ludacris to say out loud, but who would he knock out? Would Bryce take Banton's place at the 1 spot?

Why do you assume Teddy Allen won't be an NBA draft pick next year?

I'm not kidding about this.

I think there's a reasonable chance he blows up this year and gets drafted. (And if he does, it will mean DONU will have done pretty well this season, so that would be OK, too.)

2 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

1- Dalano Banton

2- Trey McGowens

3- Teddy Allen

4- Lat Mayen

5- Yvan Ouedraogo

I think he’d take his brother’s spot. Unless we start small, then I think Yvan would be the one not starting.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Maybe, but I think a more likely scenario is that we play positionless basketball 1-4 with a stretch big on the floor. 

1-4: McGowens/McGowens/Banton/Allen

5: Mayen

Didn’t scroll to see this before replying. But I think that’s most likely too.

I know I've said this, but I really would like to see a Eduardo Andre get a chance. Maybe he's a stiff. We'll find that out soon enough. But his length is far greater than anyone else's on the roster. He's the only one who represents a real shot-blocking threat that would allow us to play more aggressive perimeter defense.

I don't expect he'll be a stiff, though. And, if there's not clear separation between him and the next big, then I think you give the nod in minutes to the guy who represents more upside in the long term, and that has to be Eduardo.

If Eduardo can beat out the other bigs, then my ideal starting lineup would be:

1. Banton

2. McGowens, B.

3. Allen (unless he turns pro, in which case McGowens, T.)

4. Mayen

5. Andre

Small ball lineup would be:

1. Banton

2. McGowens, B.

3. McGowens, T.

4. Allen (unless he turns pro, in which case either Wood or Tominaga)

5. Mayen

Can you guys imagine fielding a starting lineup where you have a 6'9 point guard distributing to a 6'6 5-star freshman guard, a 6'6 senior guard, a 6'9 senior stretch 4, and (depending on lineups) either a 6'7 senior forward or a 6'0 sophomore guard, all of whom can probably hit the three at ~ a 40% clip or better?

It boggles the mind.

As long as I'm on an Eduardo Andre kick, I had wondered what his FT% was in HS because that's probably a better measure of his shooting touch than looking at FG% for a guy who, in HS, probably got a lot of dunks.

So, here's what I found for his junior year of HS: FT% = 64; FG% = 59

And then there's this:

Year Grade Team GP   PPG DEFR OFFR RPG APG SPG BPG TPG
18-19 Junior Varsity 23   12.3 8.5 2.7 11.5 0.6 0.1 4.3 0.3

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Can you guys imagine fielding a starting lineup where you have a 6'9 point guard distributing to a 6'6 5-star freshman guard, a 6'6 senior guard, a 6'9 senior stretch 4, and (depending on lineups) either a 6'7 senior forward or a 6'0 sophomore guard, all of whom can probably hit the three at ~ a 40% clip or better?

It boggles the mind.

Don't forget the 6'9" 4* center.  I'm sure he'll factor in there somewhere too.