Preliminary starting lineup for 21-22

Norm Peterson

Just looking ahead, as I always do, not to the current next year, which is actually this year, but to the next next year, which is the next year after this year.

Looks like talk about Webster getting another year? (I'm just getting that from a post by @millerhuskerin another thread.) So, pencil him in as a starter at point, right? Because you're not going to bring a guy back for a 6th year of eligibility unless he's going to be a big contributor.

So, Webster, starting at point.

Then you have Banton. He'll be a junior by this point. I don't see him relinquishing the starting spot he doesn't officially have yet but obviously will.

Same goes for Teddy Allen who will be a senior. Provided he hasn't transferred to his 6th school in 4 seasons.

Trey McGowens will be a senior and have one year to play with his younger brother Bryce. He's just about a lock, as far as I can tell.

Then you have Bryce McGowens who will be a freshman, and there's no way a 5-star player doesn't start, so just lock him into the starting 7 right now.

After that, you have Yvan. He'll still be a 17-year-old freshman in a NFL strongside defensive end's body. Wow. What other program in the country has that?

Lat Mayen will be returning for his senior year and if there's one thing I know about juco transfers, it's that, if they stay both years, they're usually better in year two. So, that's a lock.

I think it's also a possibility that Eduardo Andre, with appropriate development, could jump into the starting lineup by then. Nebraska would just need to petition the Big Ten to allow us to have 8 people in our starting lineup. And given that the Big Ten has been so reasonable in making dispensations on our behalf in the past, I see no reason to doubt they'll grant this tiny, little exception to the normal ... y'know ... rules or whatever. (Listen, I'm just the ideas guy; I'll leave the deets to someone else.)

Now, just need to await the official tweet from Brian Rosenthal to wrap this starting lineup in a little bow. I feel pretty good about this prognostication.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Just looking ahead, as I always do, not to the current next year, which is actually this year, but to the next next year, which is the next year after this year.

:Signhuh:  :Lol:

Nebraska would just need to petition the Big Ten to allow us to have 8 people in our starting lineup.

I predict a National Championship with 8 starters.

Edited by Red Don

I have said next year's team IS the tourney team for Fred. The Webster bit depends how he plays this year. He'll likely get some overseas offers, it'll just be up to him to take them. If he opts to stay, that would be perfect for us. He can still act as a sixth man relieving Banton and Trey for ball handling duties. Three lineup possibilities would be quite a lot, just depends on who's staying/going (whether it be transfer or pro ball overseas). 

4 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

I have said next year's team IS the tourney team for Fred. The Webster bit depends how he plays this year. He'll likely get some overseas offers, it'll just be up to him to take them. If he opts to stay, that would be perfect for us. He can still act as a sixth man relieving Banton and Trey for ball handling duties. Three lineup possibilities would be quite a lot, just depends on who's staying/going (whether it be transfer or pro ball overseas). 

Webster seems like a kid smart enough to nab a master’s degree and get immediately into coaching, hence the willingness to play another year. 

On 11/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, basketballjones said:

I feel like you jinx us every time you do this. Now 3/4 of these guys won't even be on the team next year!

😉

I'll call it then (and given my 0% accuracy rate on predictions, I'm feeling pretty confident about this):

Teddy, Trey, Yvan, Kobe, Mayen, Banton go to G-league or overseas.

Stevenson, Walker, Arop, Emmanuel, Wood transfer.

Thor comes back for a fifth year.

10 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I'll call it then (and given my 0% accuracy rate on predictions, I'm feeling pretty confident about this):

Teddy, Trey, Yvan, Kobe, Mayen, Banton go to G-league or overseas.

Stevenson, Walker, Arop, Emmanuel, Wood transfer.

Thor comes back for a fifth year.

Coronavirus remains in our life for the next ten years.
Thor gains unlimited eligibility. 

Two recruits signed. At least one more expected. If that comes to fruition, then guys on next year's roster (the year after this year) who will be able to shoot the absolute phuhque out of the deep ball would include:

Keisei Tominaga

Trevor Lakes

Bryce McGowens

Others who should be at least competent threats from deep would include:

Trey McGowens

Elijah Wood

Teddy Allen

Shamiel Stevenson

Kobe Webster

Lat Mayen

There have been years where we couldn't put any more than 2 guys on the floor at any one time who were legit shooters. Where we had no hope of shooting another team out of a packed-in zone. Where they prevented us from driving and dared us to shoot and we couldn't make them pay. Not any more, suckers. Zone this, bitches.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Two recruits signed. At least one more expected. If that comes to fruition, then guys on next year's roster (the year after this year) who will be able to shoot the absolute phuhque out of the deep ball would include:

Keisei Tominaga

Trevor Lakes

Bryce McGowens

Others who should be at least competent threats from deep would include:

Trey McGowens

Elijah Wood

Teddy Allen

Shamiel Stevenson

Kobe Webster

Lat Mayen

There have been years where we couldn't put any more than 2 guys on the floor at any one time who were legit shooters. Where we had no hope of shooting another team out of a packed-in zone. Where they prevented us from driving and dared us to shoot and we couldn't make them pay. Not any more, suckers. Zone this, bitches.

I'd put Lat and Teddy in the first group.  I'd add Wilhelm to the second group.  

This will easily be the best roster since the early 90s.   A few of Miles last teams has a pretty good starting 5 but not much else.   This roster is going to have 10 or 11 (at least) legit players and or prospects.

If we add McGowens, that will put us at 16 going into next year (with the added year of eligibility).  

Have to think Thor is going to move on with his degree and head back overseas.  Arop is probably the next one to assume.   I know we just brought Lakes and Wood in, but I wonder what their role will be.   But we also have some older guys like McGowens, Allen and Banton who if they have a big year....could turn pro too.

5 hours ago, nustudent said:

This will easily be the best roster since the early 90s.   A few of Miles last teams has a pretty good starting 5 but not much else.   This roster is going to have 10 or 11 (at least) legit players and or prospects.

If we add McGowens, that will put us at 16 going into next year (with the added year of eligibility).  

Have to think Thor is going to move on with his degree and head back overseas.  Arop is probably the next one to assume.   I know we just brought Lakes and Wood in, but I wonder what their role will be.   But we also have some older guys like McGowens, Allen and Banton who if they have a big year....could turn pro too.

With the news of Arop having season ending knee surgery his prospects for the future look bleak. 

On 11/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, Norm Peterson said:

A lot of those years we made up for our lack of shooters with a lack of size and a lack of athleticism.

5 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

With the news of Arop having season ending knee surgery his prospects for the future look bleak. 

Yep.   Think he could've carved out a role as a utility guy.   But he's going to be hard pressed now to ever find that role with what we have coming in.   He had a chance being ahead by a year or two on some guys.   Not now.

Are there any holes in this 21-22 lineup? If so, where?

How good is Lat Mayen? Can Eduardo Andre progress enough to be a Big Ten-worthy rim-running rim protector?

If we get favorable answers to those two questions, I think the roster lines up pretty darn well. The strength would be the backcourt, but as long as the front court isn't a weakness, I think we'll be good to go.

8 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Are there any holes in this 21-22 lineup? If so, where?

How good is Lat Mayen? Can Eduardo Andre progress enough to be a Big Ten-worthy rim-running rim protector?

If we get favorable answers to those two questions, I think the roster lines up pretty darn well. The strength would be the backcourt, but as long as the front court isn't a weakness, I think we'll be good to go.

I'm not seeing many holes in the roster.  I guess my main concern is do we have the physicality to grind out a 20 game BIG season?.  I hope we do and suspect it may not be a huge concern if we have the type of shooting I think we are going to have.  This roster looks capable of not only ending our NCAA winless streak but creating a nice little NCAA tournament winning streak!