Big Ten Question

55 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

To me the current issue seems to be that Kevin Warren probably wasn't the right guy to lead this conference, especially during a pandemic.

This - our problems didn't start until recently with B1G leadership. Our problems with us not winning were self-inflicted and certainly can cloud the judgment. If we improve on the fields/courts, we will feel better about the B1G in those areas. The leadership area, though...

I feel like NU fans - unfortunately - have significant experience with seeing weak/ineffective leadership the last 15 years - Beebe, Pederson, Eichorst. (Now I need to wash my mouth out with soap.) Warren is moving toward the 4th spot on that Mount Rushmore of Shame.

He walked into an impossible first year, but great leadership rises to the top during times of crisis, develops workable plans, makes bold moves after studying the facts, and convinces everyone to be on board. We're pretty much the direct opposite of that right now.

I loved the move to the B1G and have until this summer. Again, we've seen this first hand far too often, but it always amazes me how quickly an ineffective leader can take an organization down. Throw in a crisis, and it spirals out of control at warp speed.

I don't think we should leave the B1G. But I'll just say this: The current version of the B1G is not the same B1G that we joined.

B1G All the Way.  Sure I miss playing the old Big 8/12 (North) teams that I grew up with, but that conference disintegrated long ago, never to return.  While the B!G isn't the same conference we joined either, I like the point made by @kleitus, that we CAN exert influence; and I'd rather exert that influence by being in favor of 'playing' that is, competing, instead of being 'shrinking violets.'  While we are pretty much the 'runts' of the league in several sports (volleyball excepted) that too may be about to change!

Then there is the financial stability and academic benefits attributed to being associated with the B1G.  Who knows, maybe the other schools will even support UNL being re-admitted to the academic union.

Agreed with that above.

Leaving would be reactionary and frankly real change is generally rejected by the establishment.  When it comes down to it, this desired uniformity from the powers that be is honestly juvenile as hell.

Adults disagree.  Grow a pair.

The rest is going to take time.

All I want to see is a semi-revival of the Big Eight Holiday Tournament in KC, with a four-team tournament that permanently features Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri. The fourth team rotates in from the current roster of the Big XII — KSU, ISU, OSU, OU and Kansas. Or you could do a six-team, three-day extravaganza with a rotation of games like this:

Day 1

KU vs. NU

KSU vs. MU

ISU vs. CU

Day 2

KSU vs. NU

ISU vs. MU

KU vs. CU

Day 3

ISU vs. NU

KU vs. MU

KSU vs. CU

Edited by jayschool

3 hours ago, jayschool said:

All I want to see is a semi-revival of the Big Eight Holiday Tournament in KC, with a four-team tournament that permanently features Nebraska, Colorado and Missouri. The fourth team rotates in from the current roster of the Big XII — KSU, ISU, OSU, OU and Kansas. Or you could do a six-team, three-day extravaganza with a rotation of games like this:

Day 1

KU vs. NU

KSU vs. MU

ISU vs. CU

Day 2

KSU vs. NU

ISU vs. MU

KU vs. CU

Day 3

ISU vs. NU

KU vs. MU

KSU vs. CU

That would be so good.

Let's be totally honest as NU fans never seem happy.  When we were in the Big 12, people didn't like it cause they felt like Texas had all the power and everyone hated that so they wanted to leave.  Now we're in the Big 10 and people aren't happy cause they feel like the conference revolves around Ohio State and Michigan.  NU isn't leaving the financially rich Big 10.  NU football seem to think the conference and refs are out to get us regardless of what conference we are in.  It's just a good look nationally.  

6 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Let's be totally honest as NU fans never seem happy.  When we were in the Big 12, people didn't like it cause they felt like Texas had all the power and everyone hated that so they wanted to leave.  Now we're in the Big 10 and people aren't happy cause they feel like the conference revolves around Ohio State and Michigan.  NU isn't leaving the financially rich Big 10.  NU football seem to think the conference and refs are out to get us regardless of what conference we are in.  It's just a good look nationally.  

The whining and woe is me becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

7 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Wait you tell'n me it ain't like that...Damn it...