ESPN Newcomer Impact Rankings

aphilso1

A couple of our guys made the list --> Trey checking in at #52 and Dalano at #67.

Also, I had totally forgotten that Matt Haarms transferred out of Purdue for his senior year and is now at BYU.  I may have to make the 90 minute drive down to Provo just to heckle him one last time.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30139382/newcomer-impact-rankings-which-college-basketball-freshmen-transfers-lead-teams-2020-21

This is a list of impact freshmen and transfers. Freshmen obviously dominate the top of the list. Top ranked transfer is understandably Sam Hauser at Virginia by way of Marquette. Second ranked transfer is Carlick Jones at Louisville by way of Radford. You're going to have to show me on that one. His numbers at Radford were not, like, hugely better than Dachon Burke's numbers at Robert Morris, so ...

37 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Also, McGowens is the 7th highest ranked newcomer among Big Ten players. Banton is 10th.

They musta forgot Teddy Buckets.

Agreed.  I'm a Teddy fan and I think he will easily be our top player this year.  It is a bit perplexing that he was left off of the list.

10 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Agreed.  I'm a Teddy fan and I think he will easily be our top player this year.  It is a bit perplexing that he was left off of the list.

I don't believe they count juco transfers, just those who transferred from other D-1 programs (maybe D-2 if they are good enough).

Weird thing about skipping Teddy Allen on this list is that he was a contributor at West Virginia on a team that made the Sweet 16 and was projected to start when he transferred to Wichita State before he got into trouble. And, at juco, he showed he had obviously worked on the one major, glaring offensive weakness he had at WVa, which was his 3-point shooting. He comes out of juco being a fairly complete offensive package. And he comes to a Nebraska team that is desperate for some offensive firepower. So, if there's any juco in the nation who seems destined to have an impact, it would be this one.

Teddy should have been on, but I'm surprised Banton was. While he was a 4-star recruit a couple of years ago, he had a so-so freshman season at a mid-major and sat out last year. We know about him, but you wouldn't expect him to show up in an article like this. For example, the guy listed after Banton is a North Carolina transfer, and the guy after that is the only JC on the entire list and he's at Kansas. 

The other factor is that when they call you an "impact player," it doesn't mean just at your school, it's means gaining notice nationally. So pretty good to have two players picked on a team that's being forecast at 13th or 14th in the BIG. 

15 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Weird thing about skipping Teddy Allen on this list is that he was a contributor at West Virginia on a team that made the Sweet 16 and was projected to start when he transferred to Wichita State before he got into trouble. And, at juco, he showed he had obviously worked on the one major, glaring offensive weakness he had at WVa, which was his 3-point shooting. He comes out of juco being a fairly complete offensive package. And he comes to a Nebraska team that is desperate for some offensive firepower. So, if there's any juco in the nation who seems destined to have an impact, it would be this one.

As a true freshman for a West Virginia team that was ranked as high as #2 in the country that year, Teddy scored 15, 22 and 20 points against Oklahoma State, K-State and Oklahoma (leading the team in scoring in all 3 games). OU was ranked #7 at the time and K-State made the Elite 8 that year. He's now a 4th year junior and much more polished and mature than he was then. He's being wildly overlooked, even by many in our fanbase, and I'm ok with that. 

5 hours ago, millerhusker said:

As a true freshman for a West Virginia team that was ranked as high as #2 in the country that year, Teddy scored 15, 22 and 20 points against Oklahoma State, K-State and Oklahoma (leading the team in scoring in all 3 games). OU was ranked #7 at the time and K-State made the Elite 8 that year. He's now a 4th year junior and much more polished and mature than he was then. He's being wildly overlooked, even by many in our fanbase, and I'm ok with that. 

If he has half the impact you imply, and if Banton and McGowens are as good as advertised, we're going to shock some people. 

Rothstein thinks the McGowens eligibility puts us in the post-season somewhere. That's a monumental leap from 7 wins last year.

I think it's reasonable to project that we'll have one of the biggest single-season turnarounds of any team in the country this year.

In which case, calling those guys "impact players" is more than fair.

19 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If he has half the impact you imply, and if Banton and McGowens are as good as advertised, we're going to shock some people. 

Rothstein thinks the McGowens eligibility puts us in the post-season somewhere. That's a monumental leap from 7 wins last year.

I think it's reasonable to project that we'll have one of the biggest single-season turnarounds of any team in the country this year.

In which case, calling those guys "impact players" is more than fair.

I think Banton, Teddy and Lat are great complements to each other. Banton can create for others, is a playmaker and can impact the game without having to score. Hoiberg is making it sound like Lat will be able to stretch the defense and be one of the best spot up shooters we’ve had in some time. He’ll help create space for Banton and Teddy. Teddy is a guy that can go get his own shot and score in a variety of ways.

I hope Trey is willing to accept his role on offense. I believe he left Pitt because he wanted to be the primary ball handler, yeah? I think Teddy and Banton will be the guys with the ball in their hands making decisions. Trey will be asked to take the open shot, slash and run in transition. He could be one of the best perimeter defenders in the big ten, so we need him on the floor. 

Edited by millerhusker