2022 G Ben Shtolzberg -> Creighton

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2022 G Ben Shtolzberg -> Creighton
21 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We have our 2022 PG in Ramel so we'll see, as that's what we do, how they look relatively in the next couple of years.

It certainly could change down the road but I think at this point and time Lloyd is the better prospect.

How quickly we go from liking to hating recruits on this board lol. I agree. Ben looks like a shooter, while Lloyd is more of a drive first type with his body/frame. Both are good prospects imo. Ben is definitely undervalued in the rankings. 

20 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

How quickly we go from liking to hating recruits on this board lol. . . .  Ben is definitely undervalued in the rankings. 

Two things:

1. the only "liking" of this recruit in this thread is this post: "I don't know why, but I can definitely see this guy being a good player, just by looking at him"; and its hard to see any "hating": and 

2. as to current rankings, he has no ranking by Rivals, no ranking by ESPN, 3 stars by 247, and 2 stars by Verbal Commits--that's, presumably, way "undervalued."  

19 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Two things:

1. the only "liking" of this recruit in this thread is this post: "I don't know why, but I can definitely see this guy being a good player, just by looking at him"; and its hard to see any "hating": and 

2. as to current rankings, he has no ranking by Rivals, no ranking by ESPN, 3 stars by 247, and 2 stars by Verbal Commits--that's, presumably, way "undervalued."  

Keep in mind, that fitting Creighton's "system" elevates guys by at least 2 stars.  

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Two things:

They played on the same AAU team. Lloyd played in 4 less games so totals don't mean as much, but I feel like the averages Shlotzberg put up is enough evidence to show that he's undervalued, especially in comparison to what Lloyd what put up. 

https://www.theseasonticket.com/stats/team_instance/5987955?subseason=726284&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=4386383

20 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

They played on the same AAU team. Lloyd played in 4 less games so totals don't mean as much, but I feel like the averages Shlotzberg put up is enough evidence to show that he's undervalued, especially in comparison to what Lloyd what put up. 

https://www.theseasonticket.com/stats/team_instance/5987955?subseason=726284&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=4386383

That's a good find, and does seem to explain why both Nebraska and Creighton felt the kid was worthy of an offer.  Lloyd's stats leave a lot to be desired...1 for 13 from deep, oof.

18 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

That's a good find, and does seem to explain why both Nebraska and Creighton felt the kid was worthy of an offer.  Lloyd's stats leave a lot to be desired...1 for 13 from deep, oof.

I don’t know enough about AAU and if those 4 games Lloyd played were blowouts one way or the other, had he just switched teams, there were no coaches watching, there were a lot of coaches watching etc. My point is there’s  a lot of reasons a player may not be playing up to their potential in any given AAU game and a cold streak from deep I can overlook. But 1 assist in 4 games from a point guard does raise my eyebrows a bit.

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

*fewer

22 minutes ago, Vinny said:

I don’t know enough about AAU and if those 4 games Lloyd played were blowouts one way or the other, had he just switched teams, there were no coaches watching, there were a lot of coaches watching etc. My point is there’s  a lot of reasons a player may not be playing up to their potential in any given AAU game and a cold streak from deep I can overlook. But 1 assist in 4 games from a point guard does raise my eyebrows a bit.

We offered both Lloyd and Shtolzberg and clearly coveted Lloyd more.  The recruiting services unanimously have Lloyd ranked far ahead of Shtolzberg.  There's got to be a reason why coaches and recruiting services alike value our kid over the Creighton kid. 

That being said, I didn't realize these guys were teammates until OmahaHusker pointed it out and linked their AAU stats.  Seeing their stats juxtaposed does make me scratch my head and go "huh."  Shtolzberg was better in every major statistical category.  Was Lloyd injured?  Working on changing mechanics?  Playing out of position?  I don't know, but I am very interested to see these two guys play head-to-head in college.  Should add a fun layer to the rivalry.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

We offered both Lloyd and Shtolzberg and clearly coveted Lloyd more.  The recruiting services unanimously have Lloyd ranked far ahead of Shtolzberg.  There's got to be a reason why coaches and recruiting services alike value our kid over the Creighton kid. 

It's because Lloyd has looked like the better prospect to this point if I can state the obvious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 9:39 AM, Swan88 said:

Two things:

This has now changed. Ramel is now the unranked recruit; Schtolzberg is now the #126 player in Rivals 150 for 2022. Sorry to have to be the one to share the news. Don't shoot the messenger.

48 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

This has now changed. Ramel is now the unranked recruit; Schtolzberg is now the #126 player in Rivals 150 for 2022. Sorry to have to be the one to share the news. Don't shoot the messenger.

Ha!  In Larry's words, "Now that's funny right there I don't care who you are."  Highly ranked recruit (# 83 per 247) commits to Huskers--becomes unranked by Rivals.  Unranked recruit commits to Jays--comes in at a Rivals # 126.