Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, huskerchode said:

Wow - I've had my eye on her for some time (which was easy for a while since I live in Vermillion).  I thought if she could find success at West Virginia (I would have liked to have seen her there another year), she might be a candidate for the Huskers if they decided to move in a different direction.  Guess Minnesota is the early bird that gets the worm.

i didn't think she would leave. 1 year? wow. 

guess that shows she really wanted to be in the Big Ten.

5 hours ago, Merlin said:

Recruiting that area of the country just got tougher 

Minnesota has four top 100 kids, that played this year.  All were freshmen. All were from Minnesota.  I'm not sure we were ever getting the top players in the state.    

I think Coley was rated fairly high.  Not sure why she hasn't had a bigger impact.  She seems athletic enough.  Stewart, Hake?  I'm hoping the young lady from North Dakota is the gem we've been looking for. 

On 3/18/2023 at 8:00 PM, All About the Corn said:

Really do not think we have tried to use Coley and Stewart's strengths. Both have had to adjust to where Williams sees them. Goes back to recruiting your needs. Not sure she has always done that. 

If both of them have been given the proper training and coaching for the last couple of years, they could help filling right away into Issies old spot.

Both have decent size and quickness. But I suspect not much 4 play in the paint coaching. Not as a center but versatile forward play. 

Wouldn't be to surprised to see maybe Moriarty start/play the 4 next year.  Really want to see Potts play here..from the little i've  seen on video.....she could be another 4-Issie type with learning/coaching up...maybe?

Have to remember Issie (and Jazz) were part of the Aussie national teams for a couple of years before she/they ever got here to play US college basketball. They played in some international tournaments.  Way higher level than US club H.S. teams. They had way more high level training on skill sets, position play, team schemes in offense and defense, etc etc etc.  They are long time dedicated basketball players. 

We'll miss them a lot when they finally move on. High quality people and players. The type you want on your team.

redsteve I agree with what you are saying except for possibly using Kendall M. at a 4 position.  She is a natural 3 as reflected in the last Kansas game.  She could very well be a starter there next season.  She is fast, can shoot the ball and plays great defense.  One of our weaknesses at guard this year was in height/length with all 3 starters at 5-9 and not much length.  She really helps with that being a long 6-1.  One area of improvement for her would be rebounding which could come with more playing time.

13 hours ago, HUD said:

redsteve I agree with what you are saying except for possibly using Kendall M. at a 4 position.  She is a natural 3 as reflected in the last Kansas game.  She could very well be a starter there next season.  She is fast, can shoot the ball and plays great defense.  One of our weaknesses at guard this year was in height/length with all 3 starters at 5-9 and not much length.  She really helps with that being a long 6-1.  One area of improvement for her would be rebounding which could come with more playing time.

Kendall M. could be one of our most important players if she takes that next step.

11 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Kendall M. could be one of our most important players if she takes that next step.

She has shown great flashes in her limited minutes and in starting the last game she was consistent for the whole game.  This fall the non conference games will be really important for her development.  I think she and Maggie Mendelson could be our most improved players next season.

Just imagine how much Mendelson could develop/improve next year if she dropped volleyball and committed full-time to basketball. It’s admirable what she is attempting to do; her determination is inspiring. However, by trying to play both college VB and college BB, she is never going to reach her full potential in either sport, in my opinion. I know that her scholarship is with the NU WBB team…and if we’re being honest, friends, the WBB team needs Maggie a lot more than the VB team does. NU VB team is absolutely LOADED. 

I think in WVB it will be very interesting to watch Maggie and Andi Jackson battle it out for the starting middle blocker position.  Both are very talented.  I would never count Maggie out of anything as she is very determined.  She now knows the rigors of both sports and should be able to apply her self accordingly.

From what I understand she commited now because she may have gotten shut out at Iowa because they have almost  reached their (4)  limit of 2024 takes. She was going to commit (to anyone...at a later date)

Iowa's run to the finals, has put them another step to a high level of recruiting. 

(yes they carry a 14-15 full roster that can play if needed)

They could get like NU's volleyball....,can only take so many so you better commit right away.  Yikes !

Edited by redsteve

14 minutes ago, redsteve said:

From what I understand she commited now because she may have gotten shut out at Iowa because they have almost  reached their (4)  limit of 2024 takes. She was going to commit (to anyone...at a later date)

Iowa's run to the finals, has put them another step to a high level of recruiting. 

(yes they carry a 14-15 full roster that can play if needed)

They could get like NU's volleyball....,can only take so many so you better commit right away.  Yikes !

looked at some of her video...impressed. nice frame on her for BT bb. Duke, North Carolina and i believe OSU offered. guess she showed some interest in Minnesota once DP was hired. why not Iowa....when a good chance of development awaits.