Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the Iowa and Indiana game. So as we are so familiar with poor officials...do not think Iowa would have won. Several times on both sides traveling was not called. I counted more on Iowa that led to a few baskets. I had to laugh at Rebecca Lobo's comment about Clark dancing in the lane and getting a basket. She traveled a few times and nothing was called on just the one play. I am sure it is not only the B1G where it is not called as much as it should be.

I contend that the pivot and step through move prevalent in the women's game the last couple of years is textbook traveling, but everybody is doing it now and it is not called.  I've even seen it a couple of times in men's games.

Once the pivot foot has been established and you hold the ball and spin this way and that, you can't lift that pivot foot unless jumping with both feet.  When the long step is taken to get around the defender and the pivot foot is lifted with the ball still in the hand, you've essentially established a new pivot foot without dribbling.  It's no different than shuffling the feet after a pivot foot is established.  Basically impossible to defend and should be eliminated from the game.

Some may argue it's like the euro-step, but it's not.

8 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

I watched the Iowa and Indiana game. So as we are so familiar with poor officials...do not think Iowa would have won. Several times on both sides traveling was not called. I counted more on Iowa that led to a few baskets. I had to laugh at Rebecca Lobo's comment about Clark dancing in the lane and getting a basket. She traveled a few times and nothing was called on just the one play. I am sure it is not only the B1G where it is not called as much as it should be.

Clark brings so much publicity to the Women’s game that she is going to be protected by the officials.  It’s like the NBA protecting their stars.  Clark actually traveled on the winning shot.

i disagree that she traveled on the winning shot. I think that traveling presumes that the player first has possession and control of the ball.  Clark stopped the ball and was taking a steps or two while she gained control. When she had control, she landed, planted, and shot. If her motion on that shot is going to be called traveling, then passing the ball to a player in motion is going to disappear from the game. 

11 hours ago, NUtball said:

I contend that the pivot and step through move prevalent in the women's game the last couple of years is textbook traveling, but everybody is doing it now and it is not called.  I've even seen it a couple of times in men's games.

Once the pivot foot has been established and you hold the ball and spin this way and that, you can't lift that pivot foot unless jumping with both feet.  When the long step is taken to get around the defender and the pivot foot is lifted with the ball still in the hand, you've essentially established a new pivot foot without dribbling.  It's no different than shuffling the feet after a pivot foot is established.  Basically impossible to defend and should be eliminated from the game.

Some may argue it's like the euro-step, but it's not.

I was always taught that if something is called, it is a violation.  If it is not called, it is not a violation.  So as a player or coach you are instructed and/or play accordingly.  You simply want the game/plays to be called consistently. 

You have similar issues with 3 second violations and what type of contact is or isn't a foul.

At some point, officials decided that the euro-step type action is not a violation.  Sooo, we live with it and adjust.

The game continues  to change.  And really, the rules have not changed that dramatically; but the interpretation of those rules certainly has.

21 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I was always taught that if something is called, it is a violation.  If it is not called, it is not a violation.  So as a player or coach you are instructed and/or play accordingly.  You simply want the game/plays to be called consistently. 

You have similar issues with 3 second violations and what type of contact is or isn't a foul.

At some point, officials decided that the euro-step type action is not a violation.  Sooo, we live with it and adjust.

The game continues  to change.  And really, the rules have not changed that dramatically; but the interpretation of those rules certainly has.

Sure, from a player's point-of-view, if they don't call it, you keep doing it.  But, that doesn't mean it's legal.  It is still traveling.  Just because the stooges can't do their job properly, doesn't mean it shouldn't be questioned.  And it is most certainly NOT called consistently - if it was, there would be no more traveling at all (see below).

The euro-step is different.  It looks awkward as hell.  First time I saw it (and many times after), I thought that has to be traveling.  But, the euro-step, at least, is basically the same as a straight-line (relatively speaking) layup in that it is a continuous motion (you get 2 steps after picking up the ball from the dribble) before releasing the ball toward the hoop.  The second step is just at an extreme angle to the initial direction of motion.

The long step and release of the pivot foot after stopping or pivoting on said foot is not a continuous motion like a typical layup.  There is a break in the movement into the shooting (or passing) action to establish the pivot foot after dribbling.

So, ask yourself the following:  if a player establishes a pivot foot without previously dribbling (e.g., has just received a pass) at the top of the key, for instance, and then drags or picks up that planted foot before dribbling, passing or shooting, is that traveling?  Of course it is and it will be called traveling 99% of the time (unless it's in the NBA when we occasionally see the replays of some clown getting 15 feet closer to the basket by changing his pivot foot multiple times).  The same thing applies if the player picks up the dribble and establishes a pivot foot prior to passing or shooting.  Why should the call change just because the player is within 5 feet of the basket?  These steps around or away from the defender to get a shot up (after stopping and pivoting) are the exact same situation.  It is traveling and it should not be allowed.  If they continue to allow it around the basket, then why shouldn't a player be allowed to change their pivot foot at any time at any location on the court?

And for sure, my complaining won't make a damn bit of difference and I won't stop watching games, but I will continue to cringe every time it happens and I will continue to call it out for the BS that it is.

I'm not trying to be a jackwagon toward you and I understand things change, but the current state of this particular 'interpretation' is simply wrong and not applied consistently.  It's just a blatantly farcical and situationally-dependent butchering of one of the most basic concepts/rules of the game and those that have allowed it and continue to allow it should be ridiculed.