Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

On 10/29/2022 at 9:16 AM, whoopdeedoo said:

pretty good read......and, if mollie davis and mcCabe contribute as advertised, 😫 . it's a veteran team, i don't think an elite eight or even a possible final 4 appearance would be out of the question. should add, if they get a favorable NCAA draw.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34890297/iowa-women-basketball-duo-takes-aim-history-again-caitlin-clark-monika-czinano

If they can improve on defense a bit again this year and limit the stupid turnovers (looking at you, C. Clark), they will be tough to beat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

just curious.........i saw video of Clark's injury. rolling on the floor, crying. being helped off the court by two assistants---crying. when did this happen? did she get that triple-double after the injury? if so, my gosh. the drama!

Looks like it happened November 17th at the end of the game.  They mention she twisted an ankle in the article. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shimmy Gray-Miller on her coaching the Gophers tonight (because of Whalen's illness)...

"Lindsay prepared us for this,'' Gray-Miller said. "What she has done better than any other head coach I've worked for is she really involves her assistants in everything day-to-day. So the players have heard my voice a lot, as well as Kelly's and Marwan's. It should minimize the distraction.'

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 2 weeks later...

was able to catch the last quarter of the Iowa-Illinois game. 

Clark up to her usual.............pts and antics. when she fouled out in the last few seconds, the cameras had a close-up of her sitting on the bench and it was easy to read her lips...."i didn't touch her". C'mon Caitlin, my goodness you pulled her shoulder down. replay was sooooo obvious. 

hate to say this, but, watch out for Illinois. goodness, they are good. this is the 3rd time i have been able to catch at least a part of their games. it's early, but, at this point i would say they have a great shot at finishing in that top 6. what a great job so far for the first year coach. see what the future holds, but, it is looking bright......no doubt.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://fightingillini.com/news/2022/12/27/illinois-womens-basketball-receiving-votes-in-wbca-coaches-poll

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - For the first time since 2010, Illinois Women's Basketball has received votes in the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Coaches Poll. Now out to an 11-2 start under Shauna Green, the Illini continue to turn heads with their resurgent play.

The last time the Fighting Illini appeared in the top-25 was Nov. 27, 2000, when the team was ranked 24th in the AP poll. 

• Illinois sat at 11-2 entering the holiday break – the first time in program history the Illini won 11 games before December 25.
  • With 11 wins, the Illini have more wins than any season since 2014-15.
  • As of the day of the poll, Illinois owned a NET ranking of 27th – up 193 spots from a year ago.
  • Illinois is already 7-0 at home this season but has seen notable success on the road as well, owning wins at Pitt, Butler and Missouri for the program's most road wins since the 2014-15 campaign.
  • Shauna Green has implemented a defensive mentality that is rivaled by few – opponents are averaging 57.3 PPG (59th NCAA, 3rd B1G), 26.1% rate from 3-point range (38th NCAA, 1st B1G), and 34.9% from the field (24th NCAA, 1st B1G). 
  • The Illinois offense has been just as lethal – UI is averaging 80.5 PPG (20thNCAA, 5th B1G), 42.2% rate from 3-point range (2nd NCAA, 1st B1G), and 48% from the field (13th NCAA, 6th B1G).
  • The Illini's scoring and rebounding margins have been remarkable under Shauna Green so far. Illinois' rebounding margin sits at 13.8, which ranks 13th in the nation and 1st in the Big Ten. With a scoring margin of 23.2, Illinois ranks 14th overall and 4th in the Big Ten.

from Charlie Creme:

"Illinois went from being a team not even under consideration to a No. 7 seed this week, and took a big step to proving the first two months were no fluke with Sunday's win over Iowa, the Illini's first victory over a Top 25 team in four years. Ohio State's win over Michigan on Saturday said more about just how good the Buckeyes are than any blemish on Michigan's résumé. The Big Ten race is nearly as intriguing as the ACC's."

(Creme has Huskers as 8 seed, but, trending down)

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

jmo, but, i don't believe they take 8 teams (7 may be iffy)...and, i don't know why it won't copy NW's results (not that it matters)

Shauna Green should be Big Ten Coach of the Year (imo)

Indiana 10-1 .909 6-0 4-1 W8 20-1 .952 13-0 5-1 2-0 9-1 W8
Iowa 9-1 .900 5-0 4-1 W6 17-4 .810 11-1 5-2 1-1 9-1 W6
Maryland 8-2 .800 4-1 4-1 W4 17-4 .810 7-2 8-1 2-1 9-1 W4
Ohio State 8-3 .727 4-2 4-1 L3 19-3 .864 10-2 7-1 2-0 7-3 L3
Illinois 7-4 .636 4-2 3-2 W1 17-5 .773 10-2 6-2 1-1 7-3 W1
Michigan 7-4 .636 3-2 4-2 W1 17-5 .773 7-3 6-2 4-0 6-4 W1
Purdue 6-5 .545 2-3 4-2 W3 15-6 .714 8-3 5-2 2-1 6-4 W3
Nebraska 4-6 .400 2-3 2-3 L2 12-9 .571 8-3 2-6 2-0 4-6 L2
Penn State 3-7 .300 3-2 0-5 L1 12-9 .571 10-3 0-6 2-0 4-6 L1
Michigan State 3-7 .300 2-3 1-4 L1 11-10 .524 9-4 2-4 0-2 5-5 L1
Rutgers 3-8 .273 2-3 1-5 L1 9-14 .391 8-5 1-6 0-3 4-6 L1
Minnesota 2-8 .200 1-4 1-4 L2 9-12 .429 7-6 1-6 1-0 3-7 L2
Wisconsin 2-8 .200 1-4 1-4 L4 7-15 .318 5-5 2-6 0-4 3-7 L1
Northwestern
Edited by whoopdeedoo

maryland smoking OSU....headed into 4th quarter. man, OSU looked like world-beaters earlier in the season. i know they lost greene and sheldon (don't think she is back, yet). 69-46 at the writing. 

not positive, but, think this would be 4th loss in last 5 games? 

diamond miller is really good, but, up to her floor antics again. 

list of hot dogs: 1. Brown 2. Clark 3. Miller

As far as Brown, Clark, and Miller...I would use the term aggressive and they all push it as much as they can. Jaz's attempt at a behind the back pass and missing badly could be looked at as a "hot dog" type of play. I would also add they all three players get favorable reviews from B1G and national media. We may not like how they play, but all will do well come time for conference awards (All-B1G) or national awards (All-American). 

1 hour ago, All About the Corn said:

As far as Brown, Clark, and Miller...I would use the term aggressive and they all push it as much as they can. Jaz's attempt at a behind the back pass and missing badly could be looked at as a "hot dog" type of play. I would also add they all three players get favorable reviews from B1G and national media. We may not like how they play, but all will do well come time for conference awards (All-B1G) or national awards (All-American). 

Can't comment on Miller because I have not seen her play.  The problem with Clark and Brown is their constant whining.  Yes, they push the limit because they are very good and they know they will get away with more than the average player.  They're the kind of player opponent's fan bases despise (but would love to have on their team) and they know it so they play to that before, during and after the game.  They're good enough to back it up most of the time.

Their whining, however, is over the top.  Watch both of them closely.  Every time they lose the ball they're whining for a foul.  Every time they miss a shot it's immediate crying to the zebras for a foul.  Every time they drive to the basket they're whining for an and-1.  Clark, especially, pushes off with her off arm every time she goes to the hoop, but she's very crafty about it.  She knows because she is the league's star, she will only get called for it 1 in a 100 times.  Yet, she whines and pouts like a 3-year-old when a phantom call isn't made in her favor.  Act like you've been there before, which they both have and will continue to be.  Accept the preferential treatment you already get and just play the game with the exceptional talent you've been given.