Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

Terrible news Whoop!!!  ☹️  especially regarding the Jones family.  Prayers to the family!!!   :Cry:

(here is a little more information on the tragedy - they were hit by an impaired driver who was not licensed, while standing on  a sidewalk.)

https://www.kwch.com/2022/07/11/nickerson-hs-basketball-star-mother-still-hospitalized-kentucky/

unfortunately, some people just don't give a rip. how sad. you would think after all the years of preaching......😩

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/2022-wisconsin-preview

"I’m not quite ready to call Wisconsin a breakout candidate this season, but the program is showing true, genuine promise. If this roster can fit the defense-first, slow-paced attack that Moseley wants, there’s enough of a mix of raw talent and proven experience to have actual hope in what this team is doing, both for the present and future."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/2022-penn-state-preview

"This is the first 2022-23 team preview where I could see a true, genuine path to the Field of 68 in March. I’m certainly not projecting that, but if the defense gets to at least mediocre, the offense improves from already very good to one of the best in the country and Marisa stays the star she was last year, getting over .500 and more is absolutely on the table."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/2022-northwestern-preview?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

"It is hard to know what Northwestern is going to look like this season because of how much its recent identity involved Burton. I know it is McKeown’s system, but it was clear how deeply this team needed its star to show up in order to win games, and now that star is gone.

The fact that the Wildcats kept nearly every other member of the team together, though, is huge, and it shows the belief this roster has in itself. If someone can step up to fill the void at point guard, Northwestern could come out of this as good, if not better with a more balanced attack.

The defense was not bad by any stretch in 2021-22, but it was not up to par for what Northwestern is expected to be. A bounce back there is necessary, and if the Blizzard is as suffocating as it has been in the past, this team could be right back in the NCAA Tournament. 

Despite all my optimism, it’s hard to imagine Northwestern being better without Veronica Burton. She was simply too good to think otherwise.

Truly, more than maybe any team in the Big Ten, Northwestern is one I have to wait and see. The roster stability is a great sign, but could a transfer have helped bring some energy to the program? Only time will tell."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/2022-purdue-preview?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

"I really like this Purdue roster, and I think it is ready to make the NCAA Tournament this year if it stays healthy.

There were some sizable losses to the transfer portal, sure, but they don’t compare to what Purdue returns from last year’s roster, and bringing in a pair of veteran guards that can make large contributions keeps the Boilermakers on the same trajectory.

At the least, I expect Purdue to stay at or around the tournament bubble, and I think if a few things go its way, the Boilermakers are dancing next March. What are those things?

1. A bounce-back year for Layden, specifically with her shot. For a player that hit more than 40 percent of her threes as a freshman, this feels more likely than not.

2. Solid contributions from Learn and Williams. This team has a lot of experience that will likely eat a lot of minutes, but the potential that these two bring should not be overlooked, and they could make the difference between a good or a great year for this team.

3. A No. 1 option emerging. Whether that be Ellis, Layden, Harper or someone else, Purdue could benefit from having a go-to player down the stretch of a game. Spreading the offense out is great, but this may be the key to beating more than just the bottom tier of the Big Ten.

None of these things feel like long shots to happen, and that’s why I like so much of what Geralds has done here so quickly. 

Last season, Purdue was a fun story. This season, Purdue should stay fun, but could also get much, much closer to the glory that the program used to be known for."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/2022-michigan-state-preview?utm_source=email

"It’s crazy to think that Michigan State could improve after losing such a talented player like Clouden, but this roster is much deeper than the one last season if it stays healthy. McDaniel has the potential to be the primary scoring option and help fill some of that void, but will need to improve her efficiency if this team wants to reach new heights. I also love bringing in Visscher, who has proven to be a tremendous two-way player.

Michigan State likely makes the NCAA Tournament last season if it stayed healthy and together, and I think the same thing is true heading into this year. With the mix of new faces and some expected development from last year’s freshmen stars, the Spartans have a real shot at being a sneakily dangerous team, both in the Big Ten and nationally."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/2022-michigan-preview?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Hillmon, Dilk and Rauch were three of the most important players in reaching Michigan’s current mountain top, but there is more than enough talent for KBA to keep the Wolverines from falling into a slump.

A healthy Brown mixed with Kiser, Nolan and Phelia makes for a very solid core that is strong on both sides of the floor, and one that could be able to space out the offense more on the perimeter. That fifth starting spot is an intriguing one, and it could be the decider on if Michigan stays with a similar-ish look (Varejao, Stuck) or shifts to a more guard-heavy style of play (Kampschroeder, Clarke).

No matter what, this team can not and will not look the same without Naz Hillmon. She was a force too powerful and too one of a kind to replace, but Michigan has done extremely well in keeping a roster together that can still have similar aspirations.

I’m very excited to see what this Wolverines roster looks like. This is for sure an NCAA Tournament roster on paper, and if things go right in development — something Barnes Arico has done about as well as any coach in the country — maybe this team even makes it back into the second weekend.

I would have my doubts about that, but KBA has already pulled magic out of a program that was dead and buried for years. Nothing she does at this Michigan program should ever be a surprise anymore.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

29 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

I think Michigan takes a step back. If Brown can stay healthy then it won't much of a step back. Brown when healthy was option two after Hillmon. Their offense will run through her. 

don't overlook Phelia..........she has potential to be a big scorer for Michigan. i don't expect that "sophomore slump" to hit her.

a very good read, imo...he really nailed last years preview. hope this one is very similar

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/2022-nebraska-preview?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Outlook

"Nebraska has the majority of key contributors that made this team so much fun last year, and most of those players were either underclassmen or new to Williams’ system, so it is reasonable to expect to see each of these players improve in 2022-23.

I have almost no doubts in Shelley-Haiby-Bourne-Markowski being excellent once again this season. The offense was electric between these four and their abilities compliment each other well. I also think Weidner fits into the starting lineup pretty seamlessly if that’s what Williams decides to go with.

The question then becomes if the depth is good enough for Nebraska to not only stay at this level, but improve enough to make it out of the first round of the NCAA Tournament. After what I saw from the Cornhuskers last season, I’m inclined to say that it is thanks to impressively fast development from pretty much the entire roster under Williams.

I like Nebraska so much because of the energy that it played with all last year, a fire that is hard to fully describe unless you watch this team. The Cornhuskers were immensely fun, from the efficient passing, the team-first mentality (a top 10 offense nationally with no players above 13.1 PPG) to the three-point barrages to the elite bench mob. Those vibes are hard to replicate, and I think Williams has done a magnificent job at making them a foundation for this program.

Nebraska was a fun surprise in 2021-22, but now the Cornhuskers are back and they want to stay here. They certainly have the pieces at the top to make that happen, but it may come down to the rest of the roster to see if another level is possible this season. The roster is still young, but it’s more than ready to keep winning right now."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Two things I am looking for of the 4 listed is for Haiby to become a more complete player. Having a reliable outside shot would do wonders for her. The rest of her game is pretty good. Second, we need Bourne to play like she did in the second half of the B1G conference all year. She made teams pay with her timely threes. I expect Shelley, Markowski, and Weidner to all step it up. With the returning bench and newcomers this team could have a special season ahead. As always injuries can change a season. Would be nice to see a mostly healthy team this year.  

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/maryland-preview-2022?utm_source=email

"I don’t know how long Maryland can get away with this, but this roster is still so unbelievably talented even with the significant pieces that left through the portal or graduation.

On paper, Maryland looks pretty damn close to as good as it did last season, with a core of Miller-Sellers-Meyers-Alexander-Kubek-Pinzan-Briggs being as good as you will see in the conference, and that’s before bringing in four highly regarded freshmen.

The real question is how well it works together, which is something that is pretty much impossible to predict. Maryland’s core is over 70 percent new faces that have never played a game together, so to try and guess how this group will look early on against the likes of South Carolina and UConn is futile.

I think it’s absolutely possible that the Terps have a similar record to the year they just had, but in a much different way. Maryland is more unpredictable now, and that could lead to some big time wins and really not good losses early on, but if the cogs start to connect and the roster stays healthy, this is not a team I want to see in March.

The Maryland machine had its version of a jam last season, and its answer was to replace two-thirds of the roster. Will it be enough to get past the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2015? The talent amassed here absolutely makes it a possibility."

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/ohio-state-preview-2022?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Outlook

"Ohio State stunned many, myself included, by finishing the regular season atop the Big Ten. The key cogs of that well-oiled machine are back, and that’s enough to make the Buckeyes a must-watch team once again.

This may be the final year for both Sheldon and Mikesell, and both are talented enough to (potentially) get looks at the WNBA. You should watch them any opportunity you can.

Bringing Greene back is also massive. She is another tremendous talent that is always a threat to drive to the basket and is a plenty capable shooter. This offense should be among the best in the country with these three healthy.

I don’t expect the rebounding woes to end with this current roster, but it wasn’t that big of a deal last year and it shouldn’t be again. If the shots are falling, the Buckeyes can make up for that rebounding deficit without much issue.

I would call this offseason’s transfer haul a whiff, though Shumate could be a big get, but the core is together and the freshman class has loads of potential to make up for it.

McGuff has yet to make an Elite Eight, even with some of the most talented teams in the country. He was three points away from doing so last year, and this team looks like it’s even better. That should be the goal, while getting back to the second weekend at all should be the expectation with this combination of talent and experience."

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/indiana-preview-2022?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Outlook

"Indiana lost three cornerstones of the program and potentially improved its talent level. Berger and Holmes are true stars who gained a significant amount of talent, specifically improving the shooting talent.

Even when the Hoosiers were at their best, the offense could feel a little stagnant through isolations. This roster could make Indiana an elite offensive power, with excellent scorers in all phases of the game. Berger and Holmes will only benefit from Scalia and Parrish being on the outside, and it’s scary to think about Scalia being a team’s third option offensively. If Parrish can have even close to a type of transition that Mikesell or Shelley just had from Oregon, this offense has four of the best weapons in the conference.

I am curious what Moren decides to do with her starting lineup. The four I just mentioned should be no-brainers, but will the Hoosiers go smaller with Moore-McNeil or, potentially, Bargesser at point guard, or will they use Geary inside with Holmes. I think Berger will take point guard responsibilities regardless, but Indiana has more options than before on what it wants to look like.

Either way, this is another Hoosiers roster that should be very, very, very good. A third straight Sweet 16 is there for the taking, as is a second Elite Eight in three years. Indiana has been such a fun team to watch rise from nothing to something, and that rise isn’t over yet."

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/rutgers-preview-2022?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Outlook

"Rutgers is almost certainly going to be at the bottom of the standings this year. This is an eight-player roster in late September and, despite me liking pretty much every piece that they added, it would take a true miracle for each player to transition seamlessly into Big Ten basketball, under a new head coach, in just a few months.

What is so weird about doing this preview is looking down the line for this team. Most of these players will have run out of eligibility in two years, and the Scarlet Knights almost certainly will not be competing for any postseason play in either season. I like both freshmen and am excited to see them both get significant time this year, but there is no way to predict the future of Rutgers basketball at this point.

It is not all doom and gloom for a program that had been coached by one of the legends of the sport for nearly 30 years. I think Washington is a great hire, and the transfer portal makes the potential for a speedy rebuild possible. Rutgers also could bring in more exciting players this season, but it seems more likely that this roster will be filled with walk-ons considering it’s, you know, September 19th.

This will be an interesting team to watch because of how weird the situation of it is. The talent in the eight players here isn’t bad, but it’s just not enough to think the Scarlet Knights are going to improve on what was already a down year."

https://hooplanewsletter.substack.com/p/2022-iowa-preview?utm_source=post-email-title&isFreemail=true&utm_medium=email

"The depth is a bit of a question mark, but Bluder has answered that with a terrific recruiting class featuring three top 100 prospects. Hannah Stuelke is the highest-regarded of the group and was Miss Iowa Basketball as a senior. The one I am looking at the most for this season, though, is Taylor McCabe, who holds her high school record with 389 three pointers. An offense like this can always use shooters, and McCabe could be an excellent spark plug off the bench."

Share Hoopla

Outlook

Injuries aside, this Iowa Hawkeyes roster has no excuses. It is, front to back, a powerhouse roster, led by a player of the year contender in Clark and one of the best forwards in the country in Czinano. 

But this team also isn’t just two players. Warnock, Martin and Marshall are tremendous and could be stars elsewhere, but instead perfectly fill their roles to make Bluder’s system work to perfection. Bringing in Molly Davis was just icing on the cake, as her abilities as a scorer and passer should either help Clark find more space or allow for the Iowa offense to continue to flow, even when Clark is on the bench.

Finally, if all the proven talent wasn’t enough, Iowa has three excellent freshmen coming in that all could break out if needed, giving the Hawkeyes both an extremely high floor and one of the highest ceilings in college basketball.

With this much talent, there should only be one question: Can Iowa win a national championship? Broadly, I think the answer is yes, this roster is at least capable of it. But Iowa actually doing it will come down to two major things:

1. Defense. It got better last year and needs to continue to improve. The Hawkeyes don’t have to be a brick wall but they need to be able to make stops to take a burden off their scorers.

2. Clark’s efficiency and consistency. We all know how good Clark is and how she can flip a game on its head at a moment’s notice. But Clark has to limit the turnovers and she has to get her shooting numbers back up around where they were as a freshmen, something she’s absolutely capable of with this roster.

I don’t think either of those things are insane asks. Iowa most certainly should get to the second weekend this year and, truly, should get to the program’s first Final Four since 1993 with this blend of talent and experience.

Iowa is the Big Ten’s most electric team, a true tour de force of offensive firepower. It’s also likely the best one this year, and should have the expectations to match it.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 3 weeks later...

just read an article from minnesota's StarTrib. states Mi'Cole Cayton has just returned to practice after suffering knee injury. she is doing non-contact work for now. another guard Katie Borowicz is still having struggles with her legs after having brain surgery last spring. done to relieve pressure that was causing tingling and numbness in her legs. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 5:12 PM, whoopdeedoo said:

just read an article from minnesota's StarTrib. states Mi'Cole Cayton has just returned to practice after suffering knee injury. she is doing non-contact work for now. another guard Katie Borowicz is still having struggles with her legs after having brain surgery last spring. done to relieve pressure that was causing tingling and numbness in her legs. 

• Whalen said guard Mi'Cole Cayton, a grad transfer from Nebraska, is close to returning to practice. Cayton is coming back from a knee injury that has kept her out of training camp . She is back doing non-contact drills with the team.

pretty good read......and, if mollie davis and mcCabe contribute as advertised, 😫 . it's a veteran team, i don't think an elite eight or even a possible final 4 appearance would be out of the question. should add, if they get a favorable NCAA draw.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34890297/iowa-women-basketball-duo-takes-aim-history-again-caitlin-clark-monika-czinano

Edited by whoopdeedoo