Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

USC and UCLA kind of interesting.  If I was robbing the "pack 12", I think I'd of shot for Stanford and Oregon.  As Stanford would make the big 10 the dominant women's conference by like not even close VB, BBall etc. etc. .  Oregon would create relevancy in track and baseball on the men's side. That being said California recruiting should be wide open now.  Hint: time to dive into that pool of talent.

The money hunt is obvious and yes the conference could score big. Beyond that my search for other benefits is not coming up with much.  Recruiting?  Yes, UNL gains exposure California but so do all of our conference competitors.  And the flip side of that coin is that USC and UCLA may develop further access to NE and IA talent. Remember - Mike Riley recruited in SoCal.  How did that go?   More and more I miss the days of driving to Boulder, Lawrence, Manhattan, and Ames

Edited by Tom Jones
added something

20 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

The money hunt is obvious and yes the conference could score big. Beyond that my search for other benefits is not coming up with much.  Recruiting?  Yes, UNL gains exposure California but so do all of our conference competitors.  And the flip side of that coin is that USC and UCLA may develop further access to NE and IA talent. Remember - Mike Riley recruited in SoCal.  How did that go?   More and more I miss the days of driving to Boulder, Lawrence, Manhattan, and Ames

Yes, did it numerous times. Columbia and Norman too. Those were fun days. All were great places to go, great people....except the Boulder drunk students :) (remember the day that the entire student section was thrown out of the football game by police )

Edited by redsteve

It will be interesting to see what Norte Dame does.  I would imagine they will need to do something fairly soon regarding football.  They may be stuck with the ACC for all other sports if they signed the ACC television contract.  It would be nice to add them to our women's basketball conference play.

1 hour ago, Tinpanalley said:

It will be interesting to see what Norte Dame does.  I would imagine they will need to do something fairly soon regarding football.  They may be stuck with the ACC for all other sports if they signed the ACC television contract.  It would be nice to add them to our women's basketball conference play.

Regarding football, found this info on the web.  Won't be a simple process to join another conference.

ESPN's contract with the ACC runs through 2036. That grant of rights deal includes language that if Irish choose to join a conference in football before 2036, they are contractually obligated to join the ACC.

19 hours ago, caveman said:

USC and UCLA kind of interesting.  If I was robbing the "pack 12", I think I'd of shot for Stanford and Oregon.  As Stanford would make the big 10 the dominant women's conference by like not even close VB, BBall etc. etc. .  Oregon would create relevancy in track and baseball on the men's side. That being said California recruiting should be wide open now.  Hint: time to dive into that pool of talent.

i won't be surprised at all if one of them join (Stanford or Oregon........along with Notre Dame).

Edited by whoopdeedoo

from Pat Forde's column in Sports Illustrated:

• As we trend toward survival of the richest and fittest, how secure should the less marketable and successful schools feel within the Big Ten and SEC? If everything is negotiable and every agreement is breakable, is the Big Ten really committed to keeping Purdue and Minnesota for the long term? What about Vanderbilt and the Mississippi schools in the SEC? Watch your backs, Boilermakers and Gophers and Commodores and Rebels and Bulldogs.

3 hours ago, 12dozen said:

ESPN's contract with the ACC runs through 2036. That grant of rights deal includes language that if Irish choose to join a conference in football before 2036, they are contractually obligated to join the ACC.

Looks like Norte Dame may have shot themselves in the foot.  Heard their football TV contracts is only worth 15 million and they get their share of non football revenue from the ACC contract.  They would be at least making double if not triple that money in the Big Ten.

22 hours ago, Tinpanalley said:

Looks like Norte Dame may have shot themselves in the foot.  Heard their football TV contracts is only worth 15 million and they get their share of non football revenue from the ACC contract.  They would be at least making double if not triple that money in the Big Ten.

IF Notre Dame would make a decision to withdraw from the ACC from athletics, they can play football wherever they choose...just pay the exit fee. i doubt this would be a financial hardship for ND. i'd be a little surprised if there isn't a push for this to happen. former ND qb Brady Quinn says ND should join the "BigTen".

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

IF Notre Dame would make a decision to withdraw from the ACC from athletics, they can play football wherever they choose...just pay the exit fee. i doubt this would be a financial hardship for ND. i'd be a little surprised if there isn't a push for this to happen. former ND qb Brady Quinn says ND should join the "BigTen".

...and do not forget about the role NBC may play into the equation. 

more good reads ..... https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/big-ten/shatel-this-new-big-ten-is-a-predator-with-its-eyes-on-notre-dame/article_f53040f4-f9ad-11ec-9cbf-63f2e7249495.html..... and 

https://omaha.com/ap/sports/usc-ucla-belong-in-big-ten-after-outgrowing-pac-12/article_e1af6ad0-49c3-5ee1-a4e8-5b61be3d92cb.html

These are interesting in part because one offers a local point of view and the other an analysis from a prominent Cali writer.  

All this discussion so far focuses on the creation of two super leagues which appear more and more to headed toward a mirror image of the NFL - two leagues each with two or three divisions and the end of regular season non conference games.   What is (understandably) left out so far is the bleak future awaiting schools who are deeply rooted in conference traditions but lack the historic achievements and TV markets apparently required for admittance into the super leagues.  In our case, Kansas***, K-State, and perhaps even Okie State and Colorado.  Are they destined to take a big step down into the world of the FCS?  

If so, other than taking responsibilities for the sentimental loss of old rivalries and their associated trophies, the two super leagues do not suffer - they come to absorb all the national powers in the two major sports.  With the exception of basketball.  For example, what happens to Big Blue in Kansas?  

at some point (not far down the road), i still could see Stanford, Oregon, and Washington begging to get in. Stanford just may be enough to lure Notre Dame (OR, it just may be the opposite).

it will be interesting to see where/how Phil Knight enters in. 

*update*: after a little more research, i now believe you can drop Stanford from the equation. i would watch ND, Oregon, Washington, and Kansas.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

USC and UCLA women's basketball

From a brief look at them both,  and mostly just guess's at this point....

When they come in to the B1G.....both of their current BBall women's team's...they  probably may not be in the top half of the B1G. They haven't shown it in the NCAA's anyway. The Pac 12 won't miss them (women's BBall) probably, when their gone.

USC has struggled somewhat to be competitive, and had issues keeping good recruits. UCLA has had nice recruiting, but hasn't materialized into a powerhouse so far.

The biggest issue for the two LA teams may be the amount of travel that will be required in the Big Ten will be extreme. The nearest Big Ten school is us. Lincoln lies just shy of 1,500 miles from LA.   They would have to travel extensively and exhaustively. Could be an issue in them keeping players.

Maybe the B1G wanting them both is for the men's basketball, and football interest and revenues.  All the other USC and UCLA men's and women's teams are along for the ride so to speak.

Doubt that teams (any league or independents) moving to other leagues has stopped...or will even slow.

Personally speaking, will be real interesting to watch them in our arena, as well as how they do in the B1G.

re: B1G expansion

i'll have to paraphrase here, but, listening to sports station this morning (7/11) the discussion lead to be careful about any discussion about the B1G regarding Washington and Oregon. one source stated they (B1G) not interested. 

so, who knows---it is a rumor. expansion talk sure did quiet down pretty fast. 

they did discuss Notre Dame is still #1 on the short list. added should ND tell the B1G they would join in all sports but football-------it's NO deal.

I know that football and dollars are what's driving this, but it still seems to me that the B1G likes to present itself as an academic conference as well.  For that reason, I don't see Oregon being invited.  Washington, yes, but not Oregon.

That being said, my opinion on Oregon academics is from a few decades ago, so perhaps they've improved in that area.  But if either two were seriously being considered, I would put my money on Washington, and they are my personal preference (I might be a little biased since I went to grad school there in the 90s).

I graduated from NU in 1966.  Got Married and moved to Washington and worked for Boeing for 9 years. Picked up a second engineering degree from UW but then moved back to Nebraska to raise our kids here.  Best move I ever made. Seattle was in the early stages of decline even at that time.    I don't want to see Washington and Oregon and all their way left crazy politics in the Big Ten.

7 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

re: B1G expansion........................ 

they did discuss Notre Dame is still #1 on the short list. added should ND tell the B1G they would join in all sports but football-------it's NO deal.

I know this is not necessarily your take, but if it is 'sports radio's' take, I would think that would be very short-sighted.  The way the Big Ten has pursued ND, only to be spurned at every attempt, I'd think if they could get ND for any sport, it would only be a matter of time before football came too, especially now that USC, one of ND's annual classics, is joining the B1G. I  don't know any specifics, but ND may need some time to extricate itself from their existing football obligations.

Edited by Red Don

one of minny's incoming star recruits, Nia Holloway, suffers season ending knee injury

https://gophersports.com/news/2022/7/12/womens-basketball-holloway-suffers-season-ending-knee-injury.aspx

i thought her and Mara Braun(sp?) had/have the potential to make the biggest contribution as freshman.

in tragic news, iowa's recruit Ava Jones was involved in a terrible accident. her father was killed, Ava and her mother are in critical but stable condition. i believe the car jumped the curb and ran into them. i think her brother, who was also there, was released. not positive though.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

one of minny's incoming star recruits, Nia Holloway, suffers season ending knee injury

https://gophersports.com/news/2022/7/12/womens-basketball-holloway-suffers-season-ending-knee-injury.aspx

i thought her and Mara Braun(sp?) had/have the potential to make the biggest contribution as freshman.

in tragic news, iowa's recruit Ava Jones was involved in a terrible accident. her father was killed, Ava and her mother are in critical but stable condition. i believe the car jumped the curb and ran into them. i think her brother, who was also there, was released. not positive though.

So sorry to hear. Tragic loss for Ava and family. Hope they can cope well and recover as best is possible. Very sad... and yes, tragic.

Holloway was expected to be a factor for Minn. Another sad deal.

Terrible news Whoop!!!  ☹️  especially regarding the Jones family.  Prayers to the family!!!   :Cry:

(here is a little more information on the tragedy - they were hit by an impaired driver who was not licensed, while standing on  a sidewalk.)

https://www.kwch.com/2022/07/11/nickerson-hs-basketball-star-mother-still-hospitalized-kentucky/

Edited by Red Don