Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2022/4/5/23012252/purdue-womens-basketball-undergoing-massive-roster-turnover

"Since the end of the season, Purdue has now seen four players put their names in the NCAA Transfer portal ahead of next year. Jeanae Terry, Mide Oriyomi, Brooke Moore, and Ra Shaya Kyle will all be taking their talents to new schools in the coming months. On top of that, seniors Nyagoa Gony, Ajah Stallings, and Rokia Doumbia are not returning either. However, Oriyomi, Gony, Stallings and Doumbia did not have very big roles on the court this season."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I'm surprised, and so sorry, to see Whitney Brown Leave. She is irrepressible in her enthusiasm :Cheer2:, and one of my favorite players to watch on court; as well as being a key part of the 'Bench Mob.' I can only guess it is to increase her playing time elsewhere as an upperclassman. I'll always think of her as being the consummate 'Team Mate.' Best Wishes in her future endeavors. :Salute:

From a comment I saw elsewhere:  (So very well said!!!)
"I am stunned, but if Whitney's not on a full scholarship, I definitely understand.

Unless you're on a full schollie, even as an in-state student, getting a college education at UNL isn't cheap. Regardless if you're a walkon or a scholarship player, if you make a B1G women's (or men's) basketball team, you can play ball. Amy Williams isn't running an intermurals team. There are *many* other D1 programs where Whitney could get a full scholarship and potentially earn lots more playing time than she got this past season..............

Even though Whitney didn't play a lot, as the Mob Boss she helped the 21-22 Huskers in a way I'll never forget. It was obvious she was genuine in interview comments about why she loved cheering on her teammates and knew the kind of commitment to each other the 21-22 Huskers had was important to winning.  I really hope somebody else steps up and embraces a role as the next Mob Boss. After all, we can't let the copycats at Michigan become the best bench mob in basketball next year!"

Edited by Red Don

Sorry to see Whitney leave.....and undoubtedly the others too. Our bench has all but disappeared. Thought the transferring / leaving was done.  Wow. 

Will one of the "injured" players leave too?

But on the other hand the starters and the players left could fill out a good line up. Plus the newbies coming in, may actually leave us in a real good position. Will be some serious rebuilding to do this summer/fall, but just might end up Ok. 

Lot's to be seen of course....lots of water to go under the proverbial bridge until fall. What's next ?

Sorry @redsteve🥴  I didn't mean to say that the Glass was Half-Empty (or even Half-Full).  Practically brimming over seems more like it, with all of our starters returning and incoming players.  Last year was a definite move to the upper-half of the B1G, where I think we'll remain.

Edited by Red Don

20 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Sorry @redsteve🥴  I didn't mean to say that the Glass was Half-Empty (or even Half-Full).  Practically brimming over seems more like it, with all of our starters returning and incoming players.  Last year was a definite move to the upper-half of the B1G, where I think we'll remain.

Didn't take it any way in particular. Nor was my post a response to anything you said. No problem at all.  I was just adding to the conversation. 

Like we both said, the roster's going to different next year.  We'll be fine. 

sure hate to see Whit leave...but, understandable. wish nothing but the best for her. 

hmmmm......wonder what is going on in Maryland. Frese has lost some really good talent past few years.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-angel-reese-maryland-transfer-portal-20220406-5lrouw6kjvbrvnhpyujtv3e6va-story.html

Junior forward Mimi Collins became the fifth Terps player to enter the portal since Tuesday morning, a team spokesperson confirmed. Collins joined sophomore forward-guard Angel Reese, an Associated Press third-team All-American last season, and junior Ashley Owusu, an AP third-team All-American in 2020-21, who’d earlier announced their intentions to transfer.

Two reserves in graduate student guard Channise Lewis and sophomore guard Taisiya Kozlova also are moving on.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

another tough loss for the gophers...good recruiter

In four seasons at Minnesota alongside newly-minted Naismith Hall of Famer Lindsay Whalen, Thibault-DuDonis brought three nationally-ranked recruiting classes to Williams Arena – including a current incoming class that ranks 10th in the nation – and the first two five-star recruits in program history. On the court, she was integral in the development of All-Big Ten First Teamer and WNBA draft pick Kenisha Bell as well as All-Big Ten Second Team guards Sara Scalia and Destiny Pitts.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

32 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Huskers, Gophers, PSU and i believe Michigan have openings. if this is true, i would bet on Gophers just because of the name "Whalen"...then Michigan.

Has Love been fired?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Edited by Bugeaters1

18 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Huskers, Gophers, PSU and i believe Michigan have openings. if this is true, i would bet on Gophers just because of the name "Whalen"...then Michigan.

Has Love been fired?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

This is the only thing I've seen regarding Coach Love....

Seven weeks after Chuck Love was suspended as associate head coach for the Nebraska women’s basketball team, he continues to be paid and no timetable is set to resolve his employment status.

Jeffery Griesch, the senior associate communications director for the women’s basketball team, told UNLimited Sports that Love’s suspension “is a legal and human resources matter at UNL,” and he knows of no timeline to settle the issue.

“The announcement of any change in status won’t occur until the human resource/legal issues are resolved,” he said in an email.

Ashley Scoggin, a redshirt sophomore on the basketball team, left the team the same day as Love was suspended, though no information has been released connecting those two actions. 

Shortly after the suspension, head coach Amy Willams declined to comment on a connection between the disciplinary actions.

That’s something that a lot of people have been involved in and I think we’ll leave it at that,” Williams said.

Griesch told UNLimted Sports that while Scoggin is no longer a part of the roster, she still remains on scholarship. Scoggin is able to access all of UNL’s academic resources as well.

Griesch’s response was the first comment from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln about Love’s status since he was suspended.   

Another of my uninformed guesses......may well be way off track....

.....anyway

Might be that there's no "conduct" clause (or something similar) in Loves contract.....so.....

the "Legal" group for UNL is addressing how the issue can be handled.....and not get sued to the ends of the earth.

Could this delay make a new hire more complicated?  Maybe so....since no hire has been made public as of today.

Just speculating....why not ?

https://news.yahoo.com/48-hour-makeover-scalia-changes-090211869.html

"Indiana has become a destination for players seeking a shot at a conference championship and an extended NCAA tournament run, a distinct difference from the past."

the transfer portal most likely keeps Hoosiers fighting for one of the top 4 positions in the Big Ten for next season.
Edited by whoopdeedoo