Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

The next few weeks will be interesting.  Go Get 'em Ladies.

Nebraska Women's Basketball Upcoming TV Schedule
(All Times Central)

Dec. 30 (Thursday) - @Michigan State - 2 p.m. - BTN
Jan. 4 (Tuesday) - Michigan - 8 p.m. - BTN
Jan. 9 (Sunday) - Iowa - 1 p.m. - FS1

Jan. 13 (Thursday) - @Indiana - 5 p.m. - BTN
Jan. 16 (Sunday) - @Iowa - TBA - BTN

12 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

sorry for the repost about the msu game, 12dozen......you beat me to it😁

I hadn't noticed. Nothing wrong with a repost. Shows our interest.  Regarding the MSU game, I just looked at the channel guide on my cable TV, it shows Iowa vs Penn State at 2:00 on Thursday.  Sure hope my guide is wrong.  Might do a little more research.  🙂

10 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

I hadn't noticed. Nothing wrong with a repost. Shows our interest.  Regarding the MSU game, I just looked at the channel guide on my cable TV, it shows Iowa vs Penn State at 2:00 on Thursday.  Sure hope my guide is wrong.  Might do a little more research.  🙂

just "googled" it. shows the game being cancelled? wow

IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s basketball game at Penn State on Thursday, Dec. 30 at 2 p.m. CT has been canceled out of abundance of caution due to positive COVID-19 test results within the Nittany Lions’ basketball program.

The decision was made as part of the protocols established by the Big Ten Conference and Penn State Athletics medical staff, and in consultation with university, local and national officials and guidelines.

Information regarding how this game will be treated in relation to the Big Ten Conference 2021-22 Forfeiture Policy will be announced in the coming days.

The Hawkeyes host Illinois on Sunday, Jan. 2 inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. (CT) on B1G+.

Big Ten Women’s Basketball Weekly Honor Roll
Mackenzie Holmes, Jr., F, IND: Led with a team-high 18 points on 8-for-12 shooting in Indiana's non-conference finale against Southern Illinois on Dec. 23, adding seven rebounds
Katie Benzan, Gr., G, Maryland: Went 6-for-9 from outside the arc and 8-for-12 from the field to lead the Terrapins with 22 points, six assists and no turnovers at Coppin State on Dec. 21
Annika Stewart, So., C/F, Nebraska: Erupted for career highs of 21 points and three blocked shots in just 15 minutes of action to help Nebraska head to the holidays with a perfect 12-0 record with a 72-61 win over defending Mountain West Conference champion Wyoming on Dec. 22

• 2 weeks later...

Maryland is at Minny on Sunday.

Coach Frese comments on Whalen's next class:

It's been a long time since she coached Minnesota for that one season. But she has kept her eye on the program and kept in touch with Whalen, reaching out to the Gophers coach after her emergency appendectomy this week.

She also expects the Gophers' prospects to rise once the recruiting class of Mallory Heyer, Amaya Battle, Mara Braun and Nia Holloway — a top-10 class — gets to campus come fall.

"That is a very talented group," Frese said. "We recruited a lot of them. I see a big jump next year, really in two years. That class is special."

• 2 weeks later...

just searching for some big ten news. came across this about Maggie Czinano---minny's recruit and sister of iowa's Czinano. really rough start for her...

"Early on, she sprained an ankle. And then she developed an eye infection that threatened the sight in her left eye. Nobody is sure how it happened. But a scratch in the eye allowed bacteria in. At first it felt like there was an eyelash in her eye, bothersome, painful.

"One day I woke up and there was no vision in it,'' she said. "Very scary. Doctors said I was 12 hours away from losing the vision [permanently]. Several doctors visits later I have it back. To this day I have to wear protective eye gear.''

And then Maggie had to deal with a long-term, flu-like illness that was never really diagnosed. There were multiple negative COVID-19 tests, negative flu tests.

Still not 100%, she only recently returned to practice"

turmoil in minny?...

Whalen has lost her team. Probably started back when Destiny Pitts left. The players are not buying into what she is selling, and that makes it difficult to win games. I blame the AD for hiring someone who was not qualified for the position. Players lose interest, pride, and motivation toward being successful, and just go through the motions with little to no effort. Typically, it's nearly impossible to get players back at this point. Sad to say.
Unfortunately, CoachJD might be right.. 
I can't say it was a bad hire at the time, can hardly fault the AD for the selection.
I liked the defensive intensity against Purdue, but we lost badly to a team that fired their coach, players left and the new coach got transfers in to replace the good ones that left..

On paper it's a big loss as Jasmine Powell is second on the team in minutes.  I do wonder though is it coaching, player attitude or a little bit of both.  Jasmine has been on every team Whalen has coached, so there is a possibility that she is not even Coach Whalen's recruit.  When you step in as a head coach, you do not necessarily step in to a situation where players want to work or or have their culture changed.  In short sometimes it's better to clean house when you come. I have always been of the attitude that it takes 5 years to build a program, but also that things should be trending upward by year 3.   She's in year 4 and without a quick about face, things will not exactly be trending upward.

Anyway time will soon tell.  If she gets the hook, we might want to be at the ready to rob the cupboard.  She has a ton of talent coming next season.

4 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

only way Whalen loses her job is if next years recruits start hitting the portal. i think they are already signed. not sure how that works......can they enter the portal before even hitting campus (as freshman)?

Usually that means...

If you change your mind after you sign and want to “decommit” to the college, you risk losing one year of eligibility at your new school, and must sit a year of residence and not compete.

If you want to decommit because the coach gets fired before you come on campus...that may mean extenuating circumstances

But with the new transferring at the drop of a hat,,,anything may possible these days

Edited by redsteve