Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

27 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Rutgers announces their non-con:

DNP Harvard
308 Central Connecticut
298 Delaware State
272 St. Peters
264 South Alabama
246 Wagner
169 Fairfield
160 Vanderbilt (St. Thomas, V.I.)
129 @ Pittsburgh
115 Stonybrook (St. Thomas V.I.)
73 DePaul
7 Arizona (St. Thomas V.I.

what the......?????

Very weak schedule for Rutgers, Depaul will likely be better than last year but theres so many really bad teams on it.

• 3 weeks later...

news from msu's scrimmage:

https://statenews.com/article/2021/10/four-takeaways-from-michigan-state-womens-basketballs-open-practice?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_latest

"

Clouden looked a lot like she did last season during her first-team All-Big Ten campaign today. She played off of Winston as the two guard and made play after play off the dribble. She got into the lane with her explosive first step and finished with both hands at the rim or in the paint on a floater. After leading the Spartans in scoring as a junior, Clouden is set to do it once again. 

Winston matched Clouden’s offensive aggressiveness with taking and making shots at a frequent rate. On the other end of the floor, Winston was a menace for whoever was running the offense against her. She was inside the jersey of whoever she was guarding and disrupting them from start to finish

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 3 weeks later...

Hawkeyes loses another one:

IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa women’s basketball sophomore Shateah Wetering suffered a season-ending torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) of her left knee in practice. The announcement came Thursday by P. Sue Beckwith, MD, head coach Lisa Bluder.

“Shateah (Wetering) was having a terrific preseason when she suffered this injury,” Bluder said. “She was playing confidently and stood out as one of our most improved players from last season. Shateah will use this year to rehab, learn from a coach’s perspective and be an active teammate for her sisters on the team.”

Edited by whoopdeedoo

just a little minny news. was talking to my cousin who lives near minneapolis. he told me there is an interesting article on the Sissoko (6'2" F, former 5 star recruit). appears she is really stepping up her game. and if they get some consistency out of the center Sconiers....winning at Williams will be really tough.

side note: the reason i mention minny is because this is one of the teams i feel the huskers will battle with in the standings and a possible NCAA berth.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

On 11/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, whoopdeedoo said:

just a little minny news. was talking to my cousin who lives near minneapolis. he told me there is an interesting article on the Sissoko (6'2" F, former 5 star recruit). appears she is really stepping up her game. and if they get some consistency out of the center Sconiers....winning at Williams will be really tough.

side note: the reason i mention minny is because this is one of the teams i feel the huskers will battle with in the standings and a possible NCAA berth.

Minny struggling to put Jackonville State away.

• 3 weeks later...

Purdue knocks off #17 Florida State 66-61.

Purdue (4-2) went scoreless in the 2nd quarter, gave up a 27-0 run and still defeated 17/22 Florida State (5-2) 66-61. Boilers made 12 3's.

this is one big ten team i have had in the back of my mind......just might keep an eye on them. now, i don't think they have a top 5 finish in front of them...........but, the new coach (Gearlds) could cause some teams headaches.

• 3 weeks later...

just some big ten news...my cousin from minnesota sent me this comment from a gopher forum. plus, he added there seems to be a growing number of similar comments. imo, with the recruiting class she has coming in for next season, i think the "powers that be" will see how next season unfolds.

Whalen on the "hot seat"?:

"I saw a quick interview with Lindsay on KARE 11 Sports last night, after the game. She sounded beaten and deflated and ready to hang it up. The clips of the game showed a team that was defensively porous and incredibly lazy. 

Either Lindsay has to suck it up, design a system that works for these players and then teach it, or she needs to resign the fact that she was a hell of a player, but not a coach. Coaching is a different beast. Not everyone is cut out for it and it's especially hard if you are in a program that requires a lot of teaching. Is Lindsay a teacher? The current results tell us she is not.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to say thanks for giving me a shot and then move on to do something that you love an are gifted at doing. Coaching may not be what Lindsay is good at."