Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

Mich St beat Iowa by about 6 yesterday.  They're both pretty good. 

Iowa:  Clark is good...can shoot, overall good game, and she not bashful about shooting.  Their big is pretty good, but the guards are their strength. 

MIch State can shoot well overall. Solid team. 

They'll be tough foes in the B1G

Edited by redsteve

came across this post on the minnesota board (credit MnGirlsHoops) thought it was a good post on recruiting:

"If y'all always keep looking to the future your going to be disappointed. There are 4* and 5* kids on this team. Kids like Mershon and Kadi were rated higher then our 2022 kids. The trick is finding kids that fit your style, your identity.. Do you want quickness, shooters, length, size.. Its a puzzle and unfortunately it takes years to figure that out.. A additional coach on staff we should add would be a very successful AAU coach, they are plugged in to these kids. Some kids are not good enough to play on their states top AAU program, so its not likely they will turn into Power 5 kids.
This game is understanding how to recruit the youth, thats why SDSU, Drake and GB are so successful over the years, they know they arent going to get the 5* kid, probably not even a 4*, but what they do know better then anybody else is how to get kids that fit their system.
SDSU develops long kids that were raw in HS, Drake goes after kids that all handle the ball and are very active, can run a motion offense, and GB they are about 'team' kids that fit their style of play. You wont ever see a kid at GB with carries attitude baggage.
My point is going out and getting the best kid on the board isn't always the answer."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-athletics/2020/12/119637/ohio-state-self-imposes-postseason-bans-for-womens-basketball-womens-golf-and-fencing

"While Ohio State initially sought to self-impose penalties that did not include a postseason ban, the NCAA determined that those penalties were not harsh enough, leading to the decision to ban all three of those teams from postseason competition for one year.

Ohio State is also vacating all wins for women's basketball and fencing competitions in which ineligible athletes participated. Both teams have reduced scholarships (5% for fencing, 7% for women's basketball) for the 2020-21 academic year and face several restrictions on recruiting activity." 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://bigten.org/news/2020/12/29/general-weekly-womens-basketball-central-dec-29-jan-4.aspx

• Clark and Guirantes shared Monday’s Big Ten Player of the Week honors, with Clark also earning the Big Ten Freshman of the Week award. Clark is the second freshman in conference history to be a three-time Big Ten Player of the Week, joining Minnesota’s Amanda Zahui B., who received the honor four times in 2013-14.

i'd put money on Clark adding the honor at least a couple more times to her resume.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

just a note on minnesota: recruit Katie Borowicz from Roseau, Mn has graduated and will forego her senior season and join the gophers. will start practice and is eligible immediately. she stated difficult decision but with the uncertainty of girls hs bb in the state, best decision for her. minnesota hs girls starts jan 14. i think they just started practice this week.

i see Mershon played 18 minutes in a win against Wiscy...had 7 rebounds and 4pts

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 4 weeks later...

Michigan State's coach Suzy Merchant believes the conference should cancel Big Ten Tournament                                         https://statenews.com/article/2021/01/michigan-state-womens-basketball-opportunities-closing?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_featured

“What I think they should do, not that anybody's going to listen, but I don't think we should have our conference tournament,” Merchant said. “I think we should use that week right now and use that as makeup games and opportunities to spread some things out for the health and safety of our student-athletes. No. 1: because playing back to back as a lot, mentally and traveling. Then the other thing is putting a lot of teams together in one place right now is kind of like a petri dish for COVID, I'm not sure that's really something we want to contribute to.”

but, she would be ok with playing the ncaa women's tournament 🤔🤷🏼

Edited by whoopdeedoo

who's on the "hot seat" in the big ten?

seems to me it is Tsipis from Wisconsin and Fahey from Illinois. i really thought Fahey wouldn't return last season. 

Versyp has been teetering imo. 

i noticed Tsipis tried to talk to one of the players during a timeout in the husker game and her body language was like "whatever".

Merchant may not be in favor of playing a B1G tourney but I think if we have a NCAA tourney it sounds like it will be played in one location area. I know the men's will be in and around Indy. Would think the women's will be done the same way. San Antonio I believe is this year location. Really do not see any difference. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

catching the 2nd half of the indiana/psu game. announcer stated indiana's allie patberg is seriously considering returning for her 7th year. 

just when psu has a chance to get back in the game ( a few times), indiana stretches it back out. just too much for psu.

grace burger has her 3rd triple double of the season.

final 90-65

Edited by whoopdeedoo

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2021/2/5/22268989/karissa-mclaughlin-out-for-season

she was to expected to be out for the season with the ankle injury/surgery this past summer. supposedly came back too soon.

"This situation makes McLaughlin’s future with Purdue very unclear. She could return next year thanks to the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility for winter sport athletes. She has the talent to throw her name in the WNBA Draft or could transfer elsewhere for a fresh start with Sharon Versyp seemingly on her way out."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

On 2/16/2021 at 9:19 AM, whoopdeedoo said:

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2021/2/5/22268989/karissa-mclaughlin-out-for-season

she was to expected to be out for the season with the ankle injury/surgery this past summer. supposedly came back too soon.

"This situation makes McLaughlin’s future with Purdue very unclear. She could return next year thanks to the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility for winter sport athletes. She has the talent to throw her name in the WNBA Draft or could transfer elsewhere for a fresh start with Sharon Versyp seemingly on her way out."

Shes not a wnba player, just too small and not very athletic. Will be interesting to see what happens with Purdue, they have a bunch of highly ranked recruits on their roster but they are a terrible team.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:11 PM, Husker22 said:

Shes not a wnba player, just too small and not very athletic. Will be interesting to see what happens with Purdue, they have a bunch of highly ranked recruits on their roster but they are a terrible team.

you may be correct on the WNBA..........however, if she decided to transfer and showed interest in the huskers (btw, very doubtful in my eyes) i would take her....no second thoughts. as long as she passed medical tests on that foot.

holy smokes.........Maryland 41     Iowa 21       

end of first quarter!

Clark has set the all time freshman scoring record for Iowa. she is dropping some bombs. mind boggling to think where she would be if this would have been a "normal" season as far as scheduling. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo