Big Ten team news...(Hoopla's picks complete p. 17)

whoopdeedoo

thought i would start this post for any news involving other Big Ten teams.

https://dailyiowan.com/2020/10/11/iowa-womens-basketball-2021-recruiting-class-cracks-top-25/

"The Hawkeyes have shifted to a four-out one-in, read and react type of offense that really utilizes the guards and wings as opposed to using two true post players. The Iowa coaching staff believes Ediger’s versatility will work well in this fast-paced offense as she continues to improve."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Gophers have put out statement on the upcoming season:

(partial statement)...

This season will be extremely different than previous seasons. Based on recommendations from local health officials and guidelines in place on the state and local levels, there will be a drastic reduction in the number of spectators permitted to attend Gopher sporting events. Current guidelines from the Minnesota Department of Health specify that venues must reduce occupant capacity to no more than 250 (indoor venues) patrons. With this reduction, we anticipate few or no spectators at home basketball games. Our staff is committed to working closely with government officials to monitor guidelines and adjust policies as needed.

Due to these realities, Gopher Athletics is taking the following steps to ensure its ability to adjust to the changing circumstances around COVID-19.

• If fans are permitted to attend home basketball games, a limited number of tickets may be distributed on an individual, game-by-game basis.
  • There will be no basketball season tickets. Your status as a season ticket holder remains unchanged, and your season ticket location will be retained for the 2021-22 season.
  • There will be no season ticket upgrade or adjustment process for the 2020-21 basketball season. Seat upgrades and change requests will take place prior to the 2021-22 season.
  • Gifts made after November 1, 2019 will continue to provide current year Gopher Score points through the 2021-22 athletics season.

also stated season ticket holders are eligible for 100% refund if they choose to do so.

That's pretty hard core......maybe needed, but maybe overboard reaction.  Everyone has their own opinion of course. 

Maybe they'll ease up as the season goes on, and new vaccines, with instant testing improvements....etc etc

This whole COVID thing is what it is ...it sucks frankly. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/10/19/womens-basketball-indiana-women-built-to-overcome-challenges.aspx

taken from the beginning of the article:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Want to win women's basketball championships?

You'd better have a good backcourt.

Want a deep NCAA Tournament run?

Guards must take over games.

Challenge Indiana coach Teri Moren that there's a better backcourt nationally than senior Ali Patberg and junior Grace Berger as starters, with senior Jaelynn Penn and Notre Dame transfer Danielle Patterson in the mix?

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/women_basketball/article_c33815ba-27b6-11eb-b0d6-3bf79257088e.html

"As Kieger put it, Penn State will look to play “positionless basketball" and will do so by increasing the number of shooters on the court and ensuring the Lady Lions will be able to find balance and spread the floor."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

17 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/women_basketball/article_c33815ba-27b6-11eb-b0d6-3bf79257088e.html

"As Kieger put it, Penn State will look to play “positionless basketball" and will do so by increasing the number of shooters on the court and ensuring the Lady Lions will be able to find balance and spread the floor."

Sounds a bit like the approach of Fred Hoiberg and our men's team.  You do still need length, or you will get killed on the boards.  Fred is committed to this approach, and recruits accordingly. Sounds like Kieger is dealing with the current cards she's been dealt. Still, it could work. Should put lots of pressure on opponents defense.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

She would have started here as well.

It could be said she should have started last year...she might have been less of a distraction with no scowl on her facer all the time.

Today, She played most of the game (29 min) and scored 22

Edited by redsteve

Leigha Brown is a Quality Player (& I wish she were still a 'Husker' :nod:); but I'm not so sure I can claim the same for the family.  I don't know why the 'Husker' mystique didn't seem to take with Leigha, but I do remember several tweets denigrating Nebraska, even threatening her leaving, during her time here that could only have come from regular or extended family-members. 

True, Michigan never offered her out of HS, and maybe that was her ultimate 'dream' from early school years.  If so, she has achieved her dream, and as a starter too boot; and the journey for family to see her play now is just a skip, hop & a jump from home, rather than an extended road trip. 

If so, Kudos to Leigh Brown; she is a great player, and I have nothing but thanks for the contributions she made to the Huskers while here and Best Wishes for her continued success wherever she plays. :nod:

Edited by Red Don

holy buckets....watched the iowa-drake game. iowa won 103-97.

clarke 30 

czinano 27

warnock 20

caitlin clark is something special. scored 30 against drake and 27 against uni. she gets to the basket and can shoot from anywhere on the floor. i'll say it right now-be surprised if she doesn't end up becoming iowa's all time leading scorer. i also wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't have at least a handful of games where she breaks 40+ during her career. she can just plain score. if she stays healthy, gonna have quite the career at iowa. iowa isn't a great defensive team, however, your going to have to outscore them...and that isn't going to be easy.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

6 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

holy buckets....watched the iowa-drake game. iowa won 103-97.

clarke 30 

czinano 27

warnock 20

caitlin clark is something special. scored 30 against drake and 27 against uni. she gets to the basket and can shoot from anywhere on the floor. i'll say it right now-be surprised if she doesn't end up becoming iowa's all time leading scorer. i also wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't have at least a handful of games where she breaks 40+ during her career. she can just plain score. if she stays healthy, gonna have quite the career at iowa. iowa isn't a great defensive team, however, your going to have to outscore them...and that isn't going to be easy.

That has been Iowa MO is no defense.

Edited by Bugeaters1