Jump to content

Trey McGowens Eligible for the 2020-21 season


Recommended Posts

On thing appears pretty clear to me with the combo of Dalano, Kobe, Teddy, and Trey -- even if we don't have an elite ball handler and distributor, we have enough guys that are comfortable handling the ball to be very dangerous when breaking a press. That plus Fred's desire to push tempo tells me opposing defenses are going to sit back in half court against us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're going to have a good team.  There are no clear weaknesses on the roster for the first time in a loooong time.  I don't know if we have any super stars, but we have some very, very good players. 

If anybody here happens to subscribe to Hail Varsity, I wrote a breakdown of McGowens' first two seasons using his Synergy numbers back in May. Granted, he was in as bad of a situation as a player of

As long as Sadler isn't compelled the day before the start of the season to warn us we're going to suck again, I shall consider the optimism to be valid!

I simply love the idea of NOT having to get the ball to a specific player in order to initiate your offense.  Those wasted few seconds allows a defense to get into better position to defend.   

With the players we have, any number of them can "run" the offense and also defend multiple types of players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I simply love the idea of NOT having to get the ball to a specific player in order to initiate your offense.  Those wasted few seconds allows a defense to get into better position to defend.   

With the players we have, any number of them can "run" the offense and also defend multiple types of players.


This.  There will be a ton of shots going up early in the shot clock this season simply because the defense won’t be fully set.  First, we’ll more rebounds and steals, and second, there won’t be many guys who need to hand the ball off.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

I submit my starting five:

 

Banton

McGowens 

Allen

Stevenson

Mayen

 

I think the surprise of the roster will be the effectiveness of Stevenson. Now let's hope McGowen's plays well and little brother wants to join him.


I don’t see how Stevenson starts over a much improved Yvan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:


 Walker is a big team leader. He will be the first big man off the bench. 

 

That's good news!  How many minutes do you think Yvan will average?  Probably depends on matchups, but I'm still very curious about the possibilities of Banton, McGowans, Allen, Thor, Mayen... I just think they'd be deadly with Mayen at the 5 and positionless basketball.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LK1 said:

 

That's good news!  How many minutes do you think Yvan will average?  Probably depends on matchups, but I'm still very curious about the possibilities of Banton, McGowans, Allen, Thor, Mayen... I just think they'd be deadly with Mayen at the 5 and positionless basketball.  

 

Average, probably anywhere from 20-24 minutes per game, but that will fluctuate depending on the team they are playing.  I could see a game with 30 minutes and then a game with 15.  I think thats the point of Fred's scheme is the ability to throw out something different every game depending on your matchups.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, LK1 said:


This.  There will be a ton of shots going up early in the shot clock this season simply because the defense won’t be fully set.  First, we’ll more rebounds and steals, and second, there won’t be many guys who need to hand the ball off.  

 

On 10/10/2020 at 9:50 AM, Huskerpapa said:

I simply love the idea of NOT having to get the ball to a specific player in order to initiate your offense.  Those wasted few seconds allows a defense to get into better position to defend.   

With the players we have, any number of them can "run" the offense and also defend multiple types of players.

Yeah, I think we'll be fine and score points regardless, which by itself is a huge sigh of relief for husker fans after the last few years. And we finally have some size, although its swiss army size (as fred likes to build his teams; he finally has the construction he likes[and I like]) and not 7 footers. The difference between being good and Great this year will hinge on how we attack in the half court and scheme teams... because I think most of the time we will have the fast break on lock down. damn, I cant wait to see that first teddy-delano-trey fast break!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Can we defend and rebound, offensively and defensively?

 

I don't think rebounding will be a strength, but it also shouldn't be a weakness.  We've got sufficient numbers to rotate through the 5 (Yvan, DW, & Andre), so it shouldn't be a situation like last year where there was a huge size drop off just because our starting center got in foul trouble.  We also have guys that, albeit lacking in either weight (Lat) or length (Shamiel), have developed reputations as willing rebounders.  And then there's our guards.  They're huge, other than Kobe.

 

There's no substitution for pure size, so I imagine that teams like last year's Purdue roster will still give us some trouble on the glass.  The tradeoff there is that we can get out and run when we do grab a board.  Last year we were abused so heavily on rebounding that the bigger teams never even had to consider adjusting their personnel to match up.  Frankly, they were getting multiple extra offensive possessions for every one fast break chance we created...it just didn't make sense for other teams to need to adjust when we were so terrible at rebounding.  I just don't see that being the case this year.

Edited by aphilso1
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

 

I don't think rebounding will be a strength, but it also shouldn't be a weakness.  We've got sufficient numbers to rotate through the 5 (Yvan, DW, & Andre), so it shouldn't be a situation like last year where there was a huge size drop off just because our starting center got in foul trouble.  We also have guys that, albeit lacking in either weight (Lat) or length (Shamiel), have developed reputations as willing rebounders.  And then there's our guards.  They're huge, other than Kobe.

 

There's no substitution for pure size, so I imagine that teams like last year's Purdue roster will still give us some trouble on the glass.  The tradeoff there is that we can get out and run when we do grab a board.  Last year we were abused so heavily on rebounding that the bigger teams never even had to consider adjusting their personnel to match up.  Frankly, they were getting multiple extra offensive possessions for every one fast break chance we created...it just didn't make sense for other teams to need to adjust when we were so terrible at rebounding.  I just don't see that being the case this year.

 

Agree.  We also have the ability to draw fouls on bigs with Banton, Lat, and Shamiel being able to break down bigs off the dribble while being serviceable in guarding them on the other end.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...