Trey McGowens Eligible for the 2020-21 season

hhcmatt

3 hours ago, hugh42 said:

“We’ve got a lot of talent and guys are clicking also and together, we really enjoy each other and being around each other,” McGowens said. “I think we’re going to have a really good year.”

I like this.

This is half the battle with a new team sometimes.  So this is excellent to hear.

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

This is half the battle with a new team sometimes.  So this is excellent to hear.

The only problem is, we hear the same thing every year.  I'm pretty sure last year we were hearing guys say pretty much exactly the same.

Like coach speak, I kind of take stuff like this with a grain of salt.

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

The only problem is, we hear the same thing every year.  I'm pretty sure last year we were hearing guys say pretty much exactly the same.

This is also true-- it's a lot easier to click and be around each other at 22-4 or even 0-0 than it is at 4-22.

47 minutes ago, 49r said:

Yup. 

I almost replied with “Well, what do we expect him to say?”

This doesn’t mean anything. 

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Stevenson's numbers at Pitt seem to indicate he's an above average rebounder

Exactly.

Don't get me wrong Chuck was a special case.  But even in today's game finding a guy who can board and hit the 3 isn't all that common.  Even if he's just a college version light that plays right into hoibergs game plan.

If he goes full-on round mound of rebound we might be pretty good.

4 hours ago, atskooc said:

Yup. 

I almost replied with “Well, what do we expect him to say?”

This doesn’t mean anything. 

I get your point, but I view this a little differently (may be due to wearing red sunglasses). Trey played in the ACC so he knows what it will take in terms of talent to compete at a high level. I think we do have the talent to be very good this year. As usual, time will tell.

9 hours ago, 49r said:

As long as Sadler isn't compelled the day before the start of the season to warn us we're going to suck again, I shall consider the optimism to be valid!

On 10/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, 49r said:

Agree with this.

I think we're going to have a much better year, but I dont really put a lot of stock in comments like this.

The comment I always listen for with Hoiberg is something along the lines of 'makes the easy pass' or 'knows the offense' or comments that indicate that the guy has a command of the Hoiberg system.  That guy is going to play and if we have enough of those guys we're going to score easy buckets.

Another random thing to listen for during the season during the pre-game is Hoiberg complimenting a guy who doesn't/hasn't played much as that player is in the Samari Curtis zone. Maybe we'll have a guy there this year or maybe DW got there without stepping on the court.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Why? Who would you leave off the current roster to have him back?

IDK. But he was supposed to be a talented player that had a skill set we didn't have at the time. He was on the precipice of having a pretty big role and cut bait. I'm just saying I wished I could have seen more from him. He was the player I was the most excited about coming in last year. I was just disappointed to see him go, is all.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Why? Who would you leave off the current roster to have him back?

Wood or Arop or whichever of the three centers doesn't make the rotation. 

Curtis was a better shooter than a bunch of guys that were getting more minutes than him last year.  Obviously he wasn't a polished player overall, otherwise he would've been playing more before he left.  But a guy has a good shot from deep and who was an elite scorer in high school already has a pretty darn good skill set from which to build upon.  Wish he would've at least stuck around through the end of last season; would've been nice to have had a larger sample size to judge, plus we clearly would've been playing him serious minutes at the end.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Curtis was a better shooter than a bunch of guys that were getting more minutes than him last year.  Obviously he wasn't a polished player overall, otherwise he would've been playing more before he left.  But a guy has a good shot from deep and who was an elite scorer in high school already has a pretty darn good skill set from which to build upon.  Wish he would've at least stuck around through the end of last season; would've been nice to have had a larger sample size to judge, plus we clearly would've been playing him serious minutes at the end.

I think he's very replaceable. I wouldn't trade Wood for him.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Wood plays an integral part in the Bryce McGowens sweepstakes so I’m not trading him for anything right now. 

15 minutes ago, Jugular said:

I wouldn’t trade Arop for him either. We need some good chemistry guys on the bench. Arop provides that. And he will play hard and not demand the ball if we need him for limited minutes

This. Once you have a roster full of talented players, having 13 of them can really cause chemistry issues. The coaches have been vocal about how it’s impossible to keep 13 guys happy, which is why they’ve always preferred to take a couple sit-out transfers. With the new one-time transfer rule, there won’t be nearly as many sit-out transfers. 

I hope we always have a guy like Arop on scholarship, even if we never need them for significant minutes. 

10 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Wood plays an integral part in the Bryce McGowens sweepstakes so I’m not trading him for anything right now. 

Yep.  I think Wood is a good player and will help us a lot, but I believe this is a massive, genius vision of Fred's to get a 5* kid in a Husker jersey under his watch.  If that does, in fact, happen, get ready for a renaissance.  

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

This. Once you have a roster full of talented players, having 13 of them can really cause chemistry issues. The coaches have been vocal about how it’s impossible to keep 13 guys happy, which is why they’ve always preferred to take a couple sit-out transfers. With the new one-time transfer rule, there won’t be nearly as many sit-out transfers. 

I hope we always have a guy like Arop on scholarship, even if we never need them for significant minutes. 

Be especially nice if he could become that one guy (like other teams always seem to have) who can come in and kill you with a few well-timed three-pointers.

24 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Be especially nice if he could become that one guy (like other teams always seem to have) who can come in and kill you with a few well-timed three-pointers.

I just had visions of freshman year Brian Conklin. We had real talent on that team, with Belcher, Ffriend, Bradford and Cochran. Had some big wins that year, and it seemed like a ton of real close losses. 

This was back when we had to listen to most of the games on the radio, especially early in the season. For awhile, I thought the announcers were mispronouncing Cochran. Seemed like the kid never missed. 

On 10/27/2020 at 8:54 AM, uneblinstu said:

I still wish Samari Curtis would have stuck it out...

That was extremely frustrating because dude didn't even wait until the end of the first semester and then 2 games later Jervay gets suspended for two games and there is an opportunity. 

Just a really bad timing sort of guy...he decommited from Cincy because Cronin left and then goes to Evansville and they replace Walter McCarty with Todd Lickliter the week after het gets there.