Wilhelm Breidenbach is N

hhcmatt

Nebraska has secured the services of their second recruit for the class of 2021 in F/C Wilhelm Breidenbach from Santa Ana, California. Breidenbach as a member of basketball power Mater Dei High School had been on Nebraska's radar for most of the Fred Hoiberg era. (Nebraska offered in June of 2019, Fred started in April of 2019)

Breienbach clocks in at 6'9" 210# and his combination of height, high motor, and ability to stretch the floor on offense via outside shooting is specifically what Nebraska is looking for in the post. This in-person review from one of our members spells out in detail what we might expect in the future at Nebraska from Breienbach:

On 12/26/2019 at 11:00 PM, TheKamdyMan said:
Breidenbach and his famed high school basketball program is currently in Portland playing in a holiday invitational tournament.  His school easily has 5 high major prospects on the team including 5 star Kentucky PG commit Devin Askew.  

I would say he's roughly 6'9'' with shoes.  He does not look like your typical basketball player but I definitely see why Hoiberg and company like him.  While the team doing pre-game shoot around he spent the majority of his time shooting free throws and making probably 90%.  He's got an extremely easy shot without many moving parts which is nice to see from a "big man".

In the game he was a true hustler.  He was running hard both on defense and offense, he was the guy calling out everything on defense, he was diving for loose balls on the floor, and battled in the paint.  He only attempted one 3 in the game and missed it but made a decent amount in pre-game.  He was skilled for a big man with his passing abilities and has good hands receiving the ball.  He was extremely limited when he put the ball on the floor though but that can be expected.

All in all he had 16 points and was 4/4 from the line with probably 7 rebounds and a couple blocked shots.  For as deep as his team is he's very much the number two to their 5 star PG and is probably why those two were the captains.  You could also see the respect his teammates have for him as they made sure in warmups he would get his "change" even when he didn't make a shot.

He would definitely fit the mold of big that Fred employs and is very cerebral on the court, which one would expect from a guy that's considered Stanford and has Ivy League offers.  I really hope he's N come next November.

Nebraska currently has all of their scholarships for 2021 filled though they're continuing to actively recruit that class with the foregone conclusion that player attrition is inevitable.

View full article

With schollies now full for 2021-22, it's a good time to look at that season's roster composition.  

We lose:

Kobe

Thorir

We add:

Lakes

Tominaga

Breidenbach

For perhaps the first time ever since I've followed Nebrasketball, we are set to have an abundance of riches in the post.  Walker, Yvan, Andre, Lat, and Breidenbach all give you different options at the 4/5.  Plus throw in Shamiel who can give you some small-ball minutes there too.  The 2/3 cupboard appears pretty well stocked, too.  I have to assume that HCFH and Co. are looking almost exclusively at ball handlers at this point, to fill whatever early attrition roster spots open up.

18 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Really like it that about everybody that has seen him says he plays hard.  A trait that will give him a chance to play and excel right away.

That really is an underappreciated skill, and is particularly valuable in post players.  Hard working guys can thrive on defense and the boards even with less than ideal size (Charles Barkley, Draymond Green, Dennis Rodman, etc).  So a legit 6'10" guy with some polished offensive skill and that plays hard has me very excited.

50 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

That really is an underappreciated skill, and is particularly valuable in post players.  Hard working guys can thrive on defense and the boards even with less than ideal size (Charles Barkley, Draymond Green, Dennis Rodman, etc).  So a legit 6'10" guy with some polished offensive skill and that plays hard has me very excited.

You would like to think that everyone plays hard but there is that next level that you need to reach to really stand out. Sounds like this kid has it.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

My unreasonably optimistic take on his recruiting video footage...

If you squint, this kid looks like a young KD out there...both in his game and shooting form.  So similar with that high release point and slight follow-through with the thumb of the guide hand.  Sadly, also in lack of upper body strength.

I'd say his game reminds me a lot more of KG than KD...

I've watched four of his games now on YouTube. Kevin Durant and Kevin Garnett are... lofty comparisons.

He already does a lot of things for Mater Dei that Hoiberg likes to have his big men do – ball screens, hand-offs, initiating offense from the high post as a passer, playing on the perimeter, grab and go on rebounds if the opportunity is there. According to MaxPreps, he made 16 3s in 30 games last year (they don't chart misses). He was 2-10 in the four games I've watched. The shot is smooth but it seems like he still has a ways to go before he's a consistent shooter. Good footwork in the post, heavily favors the left hand around the basket despite shooting jumpers right-handed, good passer, good help defender, plays hard (tries to take charges and hits the floor for loose balls often, runs the floor hard). He's definitely going to have to hit the weights hard once he gets to Lincoln and needs to play more physically on the defensive glass (gave up position too easily at times), but he's active on the offensive glass when he's not floating out at the 3-point line.

12 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I've watched four of his games now on YouTube. Kevin Durant and Kevin Garnett are... lofty comparisons.

He already does a lot of things for Mater Dei that Hoiberg likes to have his big men do – ball screens, hand-offs, initiating offense from the high post as a passer, playing on the perimeter, grab and go on rebounds if the opportunity is there. According to MaxPreps, he made 16 3s in 30 games last year (they don't chart misses). He was 2-10 in the four games I've watched. The shot is smooth but it seems like he still has a ways to go before he's a consistent shooter. Good footwork in the post, heavily favors the left hand around the basket despite shooting jumpers right-handed, good passer, good help defender, plays hard (tries to take charges and hits the floor for loose balls often, runs the floor hard). He's definitely going to have to hit the weights hard once he gets to Lincoln and needs to play more physically on the defensive glass (gave up position too easily at times), but he's active on the offensive glass when he's not floating out at the 3-point line.

Not to put you on the spot because a lot can happen in the next 12 months, but with Mayen, Ouedraogo, Andre and Walker all expected back for 21-22, would much be expected of Breidenbach next year? Or is he a rotation player no sooner than 22-23? 

Edited by jayschool

27 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Not to put you on the spot because a lot can happen in the next 12 months, but with Mayen, Ouedraogo, Andre and Walker all expected back for 21-22, would much be expected of Breidenbach next year? Or is he a rotation player no sooner than 22-23? 

You didn't ask me, but I think that answer comes down to if Lat is as good as advertised.  If he is, then we already have a stretch big on the roster and Wilhelm can basically just be his understudy. 

Yvan, Andre, and DW are all more of traditional posts.  It's hard to imagine more than one of them being on the floor at any given time, and I think we will intentionally go small at times while having all three of them on the bench.  So there's three guys all vying for maybe 30-35 minutes of playing time per game.  That's not enough to keep three guys happy.  I think at least one of them will transfer out.  A 21-22 roster with 4 bigs -- two stretch and two traditional -- seems about right.

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

You didn't ask me, but I think that answer comes down to if Lat is as good as advertised.  If he is, then we already have a stretch big on the roster and Wilhelm can basically just be his understudy. 

Yvan, Andre, and DW are all more of traditional posts.  It's hard to imagine more than one of them being on the floor at any given time, and I think we will intentionally go small at times while having all three of them on the bench.  So there's three guys all vying for maybe 30-35 minutes of playing time per game.  That's not enough to keep three guys happy.  I think at least one of them will transfer out.  A 21-22 roster with 4 bigs -- two stretch and two traditional -- seems about right.

Too many bigs? Are we talking about Nebraska basketball?

5 hours ago, jayschool said:

Going to have to wait until we see what next year's roster looks like before I feel good about making any sort of projections. Will be interesting to see what kind of senior year he has too, especially without Devin Askew on the team. Breidenbach's sophomore year was actually better than his junior year, so it's hard to project forward from now until I see more of him and more of what this year's Nebraska team will look like. He might be better served playing a smaller role early on even if he doesn't redshirt while he adjusts to the physicality and speed of the college game.

16 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

I would like to see Breidenbach and Traudt paired together in two or three years.  I think they would really compliment one another.

W.B.: "You're the best, Isaac!"

I.T.: "No, you're the best, Wilhelm!"

Oh wait...you probably meant complement.  My bad.  😃

Edited by aphilso1

On 10/12/2020 at 8:12 PM, Jacob Padilla said:

So Wilt Chamberlain then...?

Edited by basketballjones