2021 PG Alston Mason -> Oklahoma

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

Could this make up for us not getting Alton Mason all those years ago?

Ā 

Wasn't really familiar with Alton at all. For those who don't know, Alston is his son. Alton was a standout in Lincoln NE and ended up at Arizona St where he had a great career as a 3 year starter and then playing in Europe.Ā  The funny this is if you google him you'll mostly come up with information on his other son, Alton Mason Jr who is a highly successful male model.

We're full on scholarships for 2021 now butĀ we seem to be proceeding like we will have our inevitable attrition.Ā 

The dad was a top-notch high school player in an era when Nebraska kids didn't get nearly as much exposure as today. Found this Daily Nebraskan story about Danny not recruiting the state after the Strickland/Badget/Woolridge group:Ā 

Ā 

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/faced-with-recruiting-difficulties-nee-eyes-out-of-state-players/article_87866753-227a-5a37-bffa-52087cc3cce2.html

The lack of interest in both this program, and high school basketball as a whole, will undermine recruiting in Nebraska for years to come, Collura said. (Mason's coach, Rick Collura)

Ā 

8 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Ā 

Wasn't really familiar with Alton at all. For those who don't know, Alston is his son. Alton was a standout in Lincoln NE and ended up at Arizona St where he had a great career as a 3 year starter and then playing in Europe.Ā  The funny this is if you google him you'll mostly come up with information on his other son, Alton Mason Jr who is a highly successful male model.

We're full on scholarships for 2021 now butĀ we seem to be proceeding like we will have our inevitable attrition.Ā 

He went to Marquette out of high school and then transferred to Arizona State after going juco.Ā 

Edited by atskooc

19 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The dad was a top-notch high school player in an era when Nebraska kids didn't get nearly as much exposure as today. Found this Daily Nebraskan story about Danny not recruiting the state after the Strickland/Badget/Woolridge group:Ā 

Ā 

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/faced-with-recruiting-difficulties-nee-eyes-out-of-state-players/article_87866753-227a-5a37-bffa-52087cc3cce2.html

Ā 

I didnā€™t realize we basically didnā€™t recruit him. Sad.Ā 
Ā 

I know he went to Marquette because they were his first offer.Ā 
Ā 

I would have loved seeing him in Husker red.Ā 

It's amazing how brutally honest Danny Nee was in thatĀ DN article. At one point when talking about the talent in Nebraska and given that the state of Nebraska had 15 D-1 kids, he named 3 as high end and said you'd need to help him on the rest.

Ā 

His reasons for not recruiting Mason was that they already had Lue and Mason's support people thought he would be better if he got out of Lincoln. If you're honestly evaluating it definitely was the right call.

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It's amazing how brutally honest Danny Nee was in thatĀ DN article. At one point when talking about the talent in Nebraska and given that the state of Nebraska had 15 D-1 kids, he named 3 as high end and said you'd need to help him on the rest.

Ā 

His reasons for not recruiting Mason was that they already had Lue and Mason's support people thought he would be better if he got out of Lincoln. If you're honestly evaluating it definitely was the right call.

I went to Northeast and graduated just before Alton started going there. I know firsthand that there were reasons that leaving Lincoln was always best for him. No idea if that factored into Nee's decision, but Collura surely knew.Ā 

Ā 

Knowing Collura, those comments were largely self-serving. My sister witnessed a basketball player steal a car stereo just before the state tournament,Ā  reported it to the school and the police and the kid didn't sit out at all on the way to a state title.Ā 

Ā 

Glad to know that Alton was highly successful and hope his son ends up in red.

1 hour ago, BugeaterZ said:

I went to Northeast and graduated just before Alton started going there. I know firsthand that there were reasons that leaving Lincoln was always best for him. No idea if that factored into Nee's decision, but Collura surely knew.Ā 

Ā 

Knowing Collura, those comments were largely self-serving. My sister witnessed a basketball player steal a car stereo just before the state tournament,Ā  reported it to the school and the police and the kid didn't sit out at all on the way to a state title.Ā 

Ā 

Glad to know that Alton was highly successful and hope his son ends up in red.

What year did you graduate? Iā€™m a 94 Rocket grad.Ā 
Ā 

And Iā€™m pretty sure I know who youā€™re talking about. I think that kid actually lived with Collura for a while so heā€™d stay out of trouble during the tournament.Ā 

Edited by atskooc

7 hours ago, atskooc said:

What year did you graduate? Iā€™m a 94 Rocket grad.Ā 
Ā 

And Iā€™m pretty sure I know who youā€™re talking about. I think that kid actually lived with Collura for a while so heā€™d stay out of trouble during the tournament.Ā 

I graduated in 93 and my sister was class of 95. Probably lots of Rockets heard about it.

Ā That is cool if he had kids stay with him, but that situation was a bit too much win at all costs for me. LPS wouldn't let that go these days.

52 minutes ago, BugeaterZ said:

I graduated in 93 and my sister was class of 95. Probably lots of Rockets heard about it.

Ā That is cool if he had kids stay with him, but that situation was a bit too much win at all costs for me. LPS wouldn't let that go these days.

I was a rocket too. Aced my 1st test in Colleras algebra class, after that the seating chart changed and i was magically sitting right next to one of his starters for the rest of the semester

1 hour ago, BugeaterZ said:

Oh, I get it. I thought it was fishy he had the kid live with him.Ā 
Ā 

It never sat well with me.Ā 
Ā 

But I cheered them on none the less.Ā 

• 6 months later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2021 PG Alston Mason -> Oklahoma