Red team

Norm Peterson

14 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I may or may not have found a box score for this scrimmage that may or may not have been accidentally posted somewhere and Teddy Allen may or may not have put up 29 points in a 21-point Red team win that included a 35-9 run to start the second half. 

Well, if they’re trying to divide the roster up to make balanced teams, they sure aren’t doing a very good job of it.

10 hours ago, jayschool said:

He may or may not. Hypothetically, of course.

I probably shouldn't because I don't believe it was supposed to be available publicly. I'll just say it was their first scrimmage in PBA and the shooting numbers reflected that. Kobe Webster led the White team by a lot with 25 points but it took him a lot of shots to get there.

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I probably shouldn't because I don't believe it was supposed to be available publicly. I'll just say it was their first scrimmage in PBA and the shooting numbers reflected that. Kobe Webster led the White team by a lot with 25 points but it took him a lot of shots to get there.

How’d Lat do? (Last question, I promise)

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Does this look to you like a team that should climb out of the Big Ten cellar?

On paper it has a chance to, but these guys have to go out and prove it. For all of its flaws last year, I did not at all see that team being quite THAT bad coming.

I think a lot of it will come down to how efficient guys like Teddy, Trey, Dalano and Lat can be. Trey being the same player he was at Pitt isn't going to get you anywhere. Lat has to be a consistent shooter. I'm pretty confident in Teddy being able to do his thing. Is Dalano ready to consistently stuff the stat sheet and impact games? He wasn't as a freshman and we haven't seen him in real competition since.

I don't love the rosters for Northwestern and Purdue in particular. Maryland is in trouble if Wiggins and Ayala don't have a bounce-back year after a rough 2019-20. Minnesota has some pieces with Robbins and Gach both being eligible, but they had Oturu last year and still weren't any good. As good as the league should be, there are some vulnerable teams. Nebraska's just the biggest wildcard of the bunch coming off the worst season, so they drop to 14 for most by default.

58 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

I guess impossible to really know but how does this years roster compare to say the 2014 team or the team that won over 20 games a few years ago?

Start your comparison with Petteway, Palmer and Allen.

I think each of those guys is an elite scorer who can create his own shot and be a volume scorer who can find a bucket when you need one.

Each of those other teams, though, had a second and third guy who, though slightly less prolific in the scoring department, could still shoulder a load.

So, you had Shields and Pitchford in 2014, and then Copeland and Watson a couple of years ago. Does this team have that couple of guys? Maybe. You expect McGowens to be someone who can put up double-figure scoring and perhaps Banton as well. Maybe that 2nd or 3rd scorer is Lat Mayen.

Then, after the top 3 scorers, you're really looking for role players who can fill certain functions. A Roby who's sneaky quick and long or a Gallegos who can shoot treys off the dribble and force the D to account for him.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I expect this crew to take a rather large step forward this year. But we were a pretty large step behind the rest of the league last year and a large step might not get us very far. I could see us finishing anywhere from 12th or 13th all the way up to 9th or 10th. Depends on how good the rest of the crew is. After Teddy Allen, do we have guys who can put up points? That's the question.

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Start your comparison with Petteway, Palmer and Allen.

I think each of those guys is an elite scorer who can create his own shot and be a volume scorer who can find a bucket when you need one.

Each of those other teams, though, had a second and third guy who, though slightly less prolific in the scoring department, could still shoulder a load.

So, you had Shields and Pitchford in 2014, and then Copeland and Watson a couple of years ago. Does this team have that couple of guys? Maybe. You expect McGowens to be someone who can put up double-figure scoring and perhaps Banton as well. Maybe that 2nd or 3rd scorer is Lat Mayen.

Then, after the top 3 scorers, you're really looking for role players who can fill certain functions. A Roby who's sneaky quick and long or a Gallegos who can shoot treys off the dribble and force the D to account for him.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I expect this crew to take a rather large step forward this year. But we were a pretty large step behind the rest of the league last year and a large step might not get us very far. I could see us finishing anywhere from 12th or 13th all the way up to 9th or 10th. Depends on how good the rest of the crew is. After Teddy Allen, do we have guys who can put up points? That's the question.

TP3 was the most explosive, JPJ the most smooth, but Teddy will be the most efficient.  I know this is crazy to say since he hasn't played a game for us yet, but I think Teddy will be the best scorer we've had thus far in the Miles/Hoiberg eras. And you can hold me to that quote, a la Lindsey Graham.

I'm not as worried about finding a secondary scorer as I am in finding some stoppers on defense.  If we are disappointed this season, I believe it will be from losing too many games in the 80's rather than games in the 60's.

They have some partial video of the scrimmage on the husker hoop twitter or husker facebook.  

https://twitter.com/HuskerHoops/status/1328745966162219009/video/1

I'm going to guess they started the small lineup and rotated Walker in.   I'm going to guess Lat was the 2nd high scorer after Allen and Trey was third highest for Red.    I'm going to guess that Webster led the scoring for White followed by Stevenson.    To those who have seen the boxscore  am I right? 

Edited by REDitus

44 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

TP3 was the most explosive, JPJ the most smooth, but Teddy will be the most efficient.  I know this is crazy to say since he hasn't played a game for us yet, but I think Teddy will be the best scorer we've had thus far in the Miles/Hoiberg eras. And you can hold me to that quote, a la Lindsey Graham.

I'm not as worried about finding a secondary scorer as I am in finding some stoppers on defense.  If we are disappointed this season, I believe it will be from losing too many games in the 80's rather than games in the 60's.

Believe he has Andrew White to beat out for that title. AW3 had a 58.8 eFG% and a 61.4 TS% (True shooting percentage factors in FT makes into your eFG%)

16 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Believe he has Andrew White to beat out for that title. AW3 had a 58.8 eFG% and a 61.4 TS% (True shooting percentage factors in FT makes into your eFG%)

Andrew White?  Never heard of him.  Benedict Andrew, sure.  But not an Andrew White.

In seriousness, I didn't think of him because he wasn't a true scorer.  He was a fantastic shooter, but not a "create your own shot" kind of player like the others being compared.

Edited by aphilso1

3 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

I guess impossible to really know but how does this years roster compare to say the 2014 team or the team that won over 20 games a few years ago?

This season’s team should be better on the glass and longer defensively.  It has a lot more depth.  

Beyond that, though, I think overall team shooting will be a huge step forward and an even bigger step forward next season.  So on the surface it seems fairly close, but for what Fred wants to with his 5 our offense, this roster is well beyond what the others were capable of doing.  

1 hour ago, REDitus said:

They have some partial video of the scrimmage on the husker hoop twitter or husker facebook.  

https://twitter.com/HuskerHoops/status/1328745966162219009/video/1

I'm going to guess they started the small lineup and rotated Walker in.   I'm going to guess Lat was the 2nd high scorer after Allen and Trey was third highest for Red.    I'm going to guess that Webster led the scoring for White followed by Stevenson.    To those who have seen the boxscore  am I right? 

1) Correct

2) Half-right; Lat and Dalano were tied for second (14 each).

3) Correct (as I said earlier, he had 25). Shamiel and Elijah tied for second (11 apiece).

37 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

1) Correct

3) Correct (as I said earlier, he had 25). Shamiel and Elijah tied for second (11 apiece).

Elijah, baby. Don't sleep on Elijah. Some have seemed quick to write him off. Do so at your own peril.

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I don't doubt this to be true. Don't doubt it at all. Teddy is a junkyard dawg. He's just going to put up points and that's just the way it's going to be. He's like the kid on the 6th grade basketball team who scores the most points not because he's more skilled than anyone else but because he's just more aggressive than anyone else and just more determined.

Watch some of his freshman year highlights. The kid was fearless. No deer in the headlights look. He's like the honey badger. So, you're a big ol' lion, huh? Honey badger don't GAF. He's going to through a dunk down on your ass and act like it was NBD.

In fact, I think "Honey Badger" as a nickname might be more fitting than "Teddy Buckets."

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

1) Correct

Thank you for the response.  (I missed or failed to recall your Webster tidbit so forgive me for that.)   Elijah tied for 2nd in scoring for White?  Nice!  Love to hear freshmen doing well.   Again appreciate the feedback. 

Edited by REDitus

The thing that strikes me about the rotation and we've really never been able to say....is that I don't see anyone that is eligible that I think is incapable.   Now there are guys that may not end up being very good or don't pan out.   But to me, there's no one on the surface right now that stands out in a bad way.   And we've always traditionally had at least one if not 2, 3 or 4 of those guys.   If that continues to hold true, that is a pretty valuable x-factor in terms of depth.

27 minutes ago, nustudent said:

The thing that strikes me about the rotation and we've really never been able to say....is that I don't see anyone that is eligible that I think is incapable.   Now there are guys that may not end up being very good or don't pan out.   But to me, there's no one on the surface right now that stands out in a bad way.   And we've always traditionally had at least one if not 2, 3 or 4 of those guys.   If that continues to hold true, that is a pretty valuable x-factor in terms of depth.

How many years in the past have I lamented "if we just had a decent power forward" or "the only thing missing is a really good shooting guard" or words to that effect? It seemed like a lot of years we were just one player short, had decent quality starters at 4 out of 5 spots, but could just never seem to put it all together.

You look at this roster and you go by what we've been told and you think this might actually be a season where we might have 4.5 out of 5 if not 5 out of 5 spots.

And then I think we have some quality depth as well.

The question is whether we have enough good shooters that your leading scorer can have an off night and it doesn't kill you. And then, for me, I wonder how much of a step forward Yvan has taken (or if others on the roster are further along.)

But, yeah. I hear ya.