Red team

Norm Peterson

19 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

We're kidding ourselves if we think that Mack isn't still a starter on this roster.  He was one of those guys that was destined to either be The Man or off the team, and unfortunately he was the latter for us.  But seriously, he would've thrived this year surrounded by so many playmakers.

I am not convinced Mack would be starting.  Perhaps he would; but without knowing or seeing our current talent, everything is simply a guessing game, right?

Mack is talented; but his on-the-court attitude affected team play.  His off-the-court attitude and character wasn't to hot either. 

Do you really want a starting point guard who can't make free throws?  The current team appears to be built with the capability of everyone handling the ball.  It appeared to me that Cam would sort of pout when he didn't control the offense.  Banton can see over the defense while at the point, and that seems to be a unique attribute. 

So although you may be right in your assessment and although Cam was talented, I personally struggle seeing where Cam would fit in with our current roster. 

8 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not convinced Mack would be starting.  Perhaps he would; but without knowing or seeing our current talent, everything is simply a guessing game, right?

Mack is talented; but his on-the-court attitude affected team play.  His off-the-court attitude and character wasn't to hot either. 

Do you really want a starting point guard who can't make free throws?  The current team appears to be built with the capability of everyone handling the ball.  It appeared to me that Cam would sort of pout when he didn't control the offense.  Banton can see over the defense while at the point, and that seems to be a unique attribute. 

So although you may be right in your assessment and although Cam was talented, I personally struggle seeing where Cam would fit in with our current roster. 

Yeah. Mack sucked as a shooter and didn't want to play defense. Which is sad because he had NBA caliber explosiveness.

It's likely Banton isn't a great shooter either but his length on D is an advantage and he's probably at least a decent facilitator in comparison.

Edited by Norm Peterson

I expect Banton will be a very efficient scorer.   He's going to get layups from passing&slashing,cutting, FT and post ups over smaller guards.   He may take an occasional 3 but I don't see him jacking up a lot of 3's.  Should lead to a good shot %.   I am thinking he will be in the 8-12 pt range for average. 

I think we will see a balanced scoring team.  Teddy is probably the highest volume shooter and then maybe Trey?   Other than those guys I think the team will be pretty even on scoring.   I think our depth will also even out the scoring.   Just my guess. 

Edited by REDitus

If they lay off Banton when he is at the three point line, he will simply continue to penetrate until he is stopped.  He then has the height and ability to find the open man when the defense collapses or finish at the hoop.

Of course the focus is on offense, but I'm equally excited about the defensive end.  Our ability to switch, and our ability to pressure the perimeter while still defend the paint will surely be enhanced.

6 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

If they lay off Banton when he is at the three point line, he will simply continue to penetrate until he is stopped.  He then has the height and ability to find the open man when the defense collapses or finish at the hoop.

Of course the focus is on offense, but I'm equally excited about the defensive end.  Our ability to switch, and our ability to pressure the perimeter while still defend the paint will surely be enhanced.

Doc has got some more pieces to work with for sure. 

22 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I have a lot of concerns about the defense. Outside of Trey, I see a lot of guys who may have trouble staying in front of Big Ten guards and wings. And, although we have great overall length, we still don't have a rim protector waiting in the middle to erase mistakes. Not sure pressuring on the perimeter would be our best option. A packline style defense would work well for this team, IMO. However, Doc's defenses historically seem to be at their best when he has a bunch of smaller, quicker guards who can get out and harass the offense on the perimeter. Will be interesting to see what we do. 

22 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I believe that will be Yvan Ouedraogo defining role while at Nebraska and will start to be established this season.

I’d love to be wrong, but he had 9 blocks in 685 minutes last year. I’ll give him a pass on the stats since he was a 17 year old freshmen. But, I saw no evidence of shot blocking instincts and he doesn’t have great length (6’9” wingspan). For comparison, Eduardo has a 7’4.5” wingspan. 

54 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I believe that will be Yvan Ouedraogo defining role while at Nebraska and will start to be established this season.

He’ll definitely get more blocks this year with his insane body transformation, but I expect we’ll be blocks by committee when considering our general length.  Andre is a pretty serious specimen for shot blocking down the road and may help us some this year. 

24 minutes ago, LK1 said:

He’ll definitely get more blocks this year with his insane body transformation, but I expect we’ll be blocks by committee when considering our general length.  Andre is a pretty serious specimen for shot blocking down the road and may help us some this year. 

Agreed. This is the year it STARTS. That video of his this offseason...if he leaps that high that fast he will block shots and make people think twice about coming into the paint. Its cumulative though. The length thats on the perimeter gives him that much more time to identify penetration and swat the shit out of the basketball. At a minimum alter the shot. I saw that kid BATTLE last year. Now, he lost way more than he won. This year I think its a  50/50 floor.

21 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I’d love to be wrong, but he had 9 blocks in 685 minutes last year. I’ll give him a pass on the stats since he was a 17 year old freshmen. But, I saw no evidence of shot blocking instincts and he doesn’t have great length (6’9” wingspan). For comparison, Eduardo has a 7’4.5” wingspan. 

Eduardo might not be as far behind Yvan as some on here seem to think.

30 minutes ago, REDitus said:

Looks like Trey switched from nbr 2 to nbr 8.    Jace Piatkowski must of moved on.  That red/white wall line gives you a great background for comparing heights among players vs what's listed on the roster.   

Trey is #2 in the photo, the scrunched-up number just happens to look like an eight.

From huskers.com, NU still lists Jace Piatkowski as being on the roster: https://huskers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster