Red team

Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

35% is not average or decent, that is a good shooter and would put in the top 100 nationally.

I could see Webster, Trey, Teddy, Banton, and Lat playing a lot together. That gives you 3 good shooters, one average shooter, and whatever Banton turns out to be. Trey and Webster created a lot of their own shots so I think they will get better looks and hopefully better %s.

In the 2018 season, the national average was 35.1 percent and it was 35 percent in 2017.

18 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

At Western KY Banton shot 21% from 3 and 56% from the line, and (at least as of last year), his form was atrocious.  I have a lot of high hopes for Banton as an all-around ball-handler/slasher/passer/rebounder.  But unless Fred has some magic dust in his pocket, not counting on him being anywhere close to a decent shooter from the outside.  Especially considering that "decent" in today's game should be at least 35% from 3.  Hope I'm wrong and he has significantly improved his shot.

Thor shot below 25% his first two years here.   He shot 38% last year.   Things can change with different systems.  Not saying I think he’s gonna hit at a 40% rate but things as simple as getting good looks can make a huge difference.  

Red Team on Friday has 

Kobe Webster

Teddy Allen

Trey McGowens

Derrick Walker

Andre Eduardo

Trevor Lakes

Chris McGraw

White Team has 

Dalano Banton

Yvan

Thor

Lat Mayan

Akol Arop

Elijah Wood?

I didn't catch where Wood was but heposted himself shooting in a white jersey on Friday. Possible that's an old picture though

21 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Red Team on Friday has 

Kobe Webster

Teddy Allen

Trey McGowens

Derrick Walker

Trevor Lakes

Chris McGraw

White Team has 

Dalano Banton

Yvan

Thor

Lat Mayan

Akol Arop

Elijah Wood?

I didn't catch where Eduardo was.  Wood posted himself shooting in a white jersey but that could have been an old picture. I don't know if they played 5 on 5 or were just in drills

That’s Eduardo in red with Walker in the pic, so if that’s from yesterday he was red.

I remember seeing Banton play at last year's open-to-the-public scrimmage in the Vault.

What stood out was the number of rebounds and put-backs he had at the rim--he was always at the right place at the right time for those.  Hopefully, that is a basic skill for him (not just a fluke for him or misremembering by me).

11 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

The line was moved back last year, percentages dropped.

As a comparison, the 50th best 3-pt shooting team last year (Quinnipiac) shot 35.7%. The year before, with the line closer, the 50th best (Nicholls St.) shot 37.0%. Last year, 4 teams shot better than 39%, 11 did it the year before. Moving back the line also lowered overall percentages. KenPom or somebody said it also seemed to affect mediocre shooters more than good ones, which makes sense.

Math nerds will point out that lowering the percentage even one point is significant for 3 pt baskets in a philosophy of only taking 3s and layups. It moves the needle slightly in calculating the value of 10-foot jump shot vs. a 3 pointer. Villanova seems to be a trend setter in getting into the lane, jump stopping and using these short, high-percentage jump shots. If you can shoot 60% on them, then it's as efficient as a 40% 3 pt shot. Of course, an 18 foot jump shot is still a bad shot.

Sorry if anybody gets a headache from this post. 

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

I remember seeing Banton play at last year's open-to-the-public scrimmage in the Vault.

What stood out was the number of rebounds and put-backs he had at the rim--he was always at the right place at the right time for those.  Hopefully, that is a basic skill for him (not just a fluke for him or misremembering by me).

I'm not a "source" guy, but I have it on very good authority that Banton stepped on campus last year and was immediately our best player

Banton and McGowens haven't been reliable outside shooters in their college career and that's certainly the book on Banton.  Maybe one of them makes a Thor like leap but it seems a lot more likely that they'll be below average outside shooters.  You can mitigate this stuff though, especially since both are capable of performing as PGs/Combo guards.  They can be driving to the basket and if they're making the smart decision whether to pass or shoot, it will work out when guys like Thor and Lat are on the corner waiting to pop a 3. (or even Webster, Allen, or heck even Stevenson). 

I'm very curious what sort of percentage Kobe Webster can hit from outside taking open shots. He spent most of his career being the focal point of an offense and having to get his own shot.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

I remember thinking he was by far our best rebounder on our Italy trip last year 

Kobe Webster said he thinks shooting will be a strength of the team. Outside of himself, he mentioned Lat, Teddy and Thorir as the best shooters on the team. All three have posted good percentages on decent volume (though for the first two, that was at the JUCO level).

Webster shot 37%, 41% and 33% in his three years at Western Illinois. I'm guessing Hoiberg's going to be able to generate easier looks for him than he got at WIU so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to at least get back to that freshman year percentage.

Stevenson shot 39% at Pittsburgh on a small sample size (just over one attempt per game).

That gives you five guys that you can reasonably hope to see shoot in the 35-40% range. Banton and McGowens will probably be poor shooters while the three bigs will likely be non-shooters.

Last year, Thorbjarnarson was the only one in that range with everybody else right around that break-even point (33%) or worse. Nebraska probably won't be one of the best shooting teams in the Big Ten, and there's been enough variance with al of these guys to have some doubt, but I think you can reasonably be optimistic about the team having enough shooting to be competitive this season.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

As a comparison, the 50th best 3-pt shooting team last year (Quinnipiac) shot 35.7%. The year before, with the line closer, the 50th best (Nicholls St.) shot 37.0%. Last year, 4 teams shot better than 39%, 11 did it the year before. Moving back the line also lowered overall percentages. KenPom or somebody said it also seemed to affect mediocre shooters more than good ones, which makes sense.

Math nerds will point out that lowering the percentage even one point is significant for 3 pt baskets in a philosophy of only taking 3s and layups. It moves the needle slightly in calculating the value of 10-foot jump shot vs. a 3 pointer. Villanova seems to be a trend setter in getting into the lane, jump stopping and using these short, high-percentage jump shots. If you can shoot 60% on them, then it's as efficient as a 40% 3 pt shot. Of course, an 18 foot jump shot is still a bad shot.

Sorry if anybody gets a headache from this post. 

Half of what you wrote is 60 percent correct.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Can someone answer whether being on "red" or "white" team even means anything or is static throughout practice? 

Practice jerseys are often reversible and coaches switch guys in and out all practice for drills and live work. 

I think the bolded is true.   I think this early in the preseason red vs white doesn't mean much.   I think they will work various combinations until they identify the best combination then they will have guys swap around to work out best rotations.  

On 10/2/2020 at 11:05 AM, NUdiehard said:

At Western KY Banton shot 21% from 3 and 56% from the line, and (at least as of last year), his form was atrocious.  I have a lot of high hopes for Banton as an all-around ball-handler/slasher/passer/rebounder.  But unless Fred has some magic dust in his pocket, not counting on him being anywhere close to a decent shooter from the outside.  Especially considering that "decent" in today's game should be at least 35% from 3.  Hope I'm wrong and he has significantly improved his shot.

After watching the footage below, I have some optimism that his shooting accuracy will have a Thor-esque transformation. He looks better than he did a year ago.

https://huskers.com/sports/mens-basketball

38 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

After watching the footage below, I have some optimism that his shooting accuracy will have a Thor-esque transformation. He looks better than he did a year ago.

https://huskers.com/sports/mens-basketball

After watching the footage in the Eduardo Andre feature I hope Big Ten refs don't like to call traveling.

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

After watching the footage in the Eduardo Andre feature I hope Big Ten refs don't like to call traveling.

LOL, yeah. Fortunately, he's not going to be one of our primary ball handlers. But I could see him getting serious minutes, especially if his jump shot is as legit as it looks in the video.

17 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

McGowens got his waiver! (siap). This is huge, especially defensively. 

This raises an interesting question:

Is there anyone from last year's roster who left with eligibility remaining who you wish was still on the team?

Cam Mack

Dachon Burke

Jervay Green

Kevin Cross

Samari Curtis

Would you bump anyone from the current roster in order to make room for any of the above? I'm thinking maaaaybe Dachon Burke, but he'd be about it. I think Coach Hoiberg has used the available scholarships very well to replace those spots.

30 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think we can start to predict some starting lineup possibilities now.

I’m confident you can pencil in Banton, McGowens, Teddy and Lat. Will be interesting to see if we go big with Yvan or Walker, small with Thor or Shamiel, or smaller with Kobe at that 5th spot. 
I think our 9 man rotation is pretty set, unless Andre surprises me. 

Edited by millerhusker