Red team

Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Washut's current  projection: Banton, McGowens, Teddy, Lat, Yvan. 

I like that group, but it requires McGowens to be cleared for this season. If he isn't, I presume Webster will take his place. I think we can be okay without McGowens, but we should be a lot better with him. Fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Probably for a reason

He was one of the best and most impactful players last year during that scrimmage. It was clear he and Banton would have been the best players on the team last year if they were eligible. I imagine he's a lot closer to the top 7 than this board seems to think. 

44 minutes ago, jayschool said:

If TEAM A is:

• Banton
  • McGowens
  • Allen
  • Mayen
  • Ouedraogo

And TEAM B is:

• Webster
  • Thor
  • Stevenson
  • Walker
  • Andre

How would either group fare against TEAM 😄

• Mack
  • Burke
  • Thor
  • Cheatham
  • Ouedraogo

Team B looks about equal to last year's starters.  So that's certainly some cause for optimism.  

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

If TEAM A is:

• Banton
  • McGowens
  • Allen
  • Mayen
  • Ouedraogo

And TEAM B is:

• Webster
  • Thor
  • Stevenson
  • Walker
  • Andre

How would either group fare against TEAM 😄

• Mack
  • Burke
  • Thor
  • Cheatham
  • Ouedraogo

If Banton, Stevenson, Walker plus 2 (as reported) were normally beating last years starters, then I'd say Team B > last years team.

39 minutes ago, 4huskers said:

If Banton, Stevenson, Walker plus 2 (as reported) were normally beating last years starters, then I'd say Team B > last years team.

Except that you're taking the best playmaker, Banton, and moving him up to Team A.  Also, I took the "beating the starters" comments to mean that it was a fair fight between the two squads, not that the redshirt/reserve team was winning 90%+ of the time.  I think Hoiberg would have been more effusive in his praise if they were lightyears ahead of the starters.

I would pick out a top 8 for getting minutes and for the main rotation. 

Banton   -------------

|  ---Webster

McGowens ----------

| -----Thor

Allen  ----------------      

Mayen ---------------

| ---Stevenson 

Ouedrogo -----------

Than these guys for depth situations. 

Walker,Andre provide post depth

Thor then Wood for guard depth

Arop depth at the wing&4.  

Edited by REDitus

On 9/30/2020 at 10:16 PM, NUdiehard said:

I think the X-factor this year is going to be Lat.  Not only whether he can be a true impact player, but an impact player at the 5. He could open up the lane and so many other options on offense. Question is whether he can guard opposing 5 and rebound. Hear he is relentless, so that will help, but is he big and strong enough. 

Is he even going to be playing the 5.   Washut seems to think he'll be playing a lot at the 4 with Yvan at 5.

I think you're looking at a rotation of

G- McGowans/Webster

G-Banton

SF-Allen/Thor

PF-Lat/Stevenson

C-Ouedraogo/Walker

The top 5 seems to be Trey, Delano, Allen, Lat and Yvan.   I think we have 4 pretty solid reserves that will see quite a bit of time in Webster, Thor, Stevenson and Walker.   There's alot of versatility and flexibility in the lineup with some of those guys.

I think Arop can carve out a role too as the 10th guy in certain minutes.   Andre, to me, will play as well, but more match-up specific and foul trouble related.   I don't see Wood playing much at all this year and of course Lakes is sitting out.

Think it was mentioned that we went from easily being the shortest team in the league last year to the second tallest (in terms of average height) this year.   And it's not just at the 4 or 5.   We got bigger all over.  

It's a new roster and we're coming off the worst season in program history and the Big 10 is a monster.....but there's some very valid reasons for hope.

29 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Is he even going to be playing the 5.   Washut seems to think he'll be playing a lot at the 4 with Yvan at 5.

That was kind of my whole point.  I don't know what the staff has planned for Lat.  I'm just saying that I think NU's best chance of success is if Lat can be an impact player at the 5.  I have no idea if he can or not.  No idea if he is physical enough or strong enough.  Heck, I don't even know if he is any good.  But if reports are true that he is playing well and they expect good things from him, and he is a really good shooter, I would love to see him get some run at the 5. 

Nebraska will not be able to out-talent its opponents.  Its best hope it to have a unique offense that can cause match up problems and give it a unique advantage.  Small ball is taking over the NBA.  The Rockets had a starting lineup with Robert Covington at center (6'7" 209 lbs) and no other player taller than 6'5".  If they can do that in the NBA, I would think Lat could play some 5 since he is 6'9" and 210 lbs+.  Plus, you have Banton who is 6'9" and the other players are all pretty tall and very thick/strong for their positions.

Playing Lat at center would allow NU to play a 5-out system, which would really open things up for our driving wings like Banton, Trey and Allen.

31 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think you're looking at a rotation of

G- McGowans/Webster

G-Banton

SF-Allen/Thor

PF-Lat/Stevenson

C-Ouedraogo/Walker

The top 5 seems to be Trey, Delano, Allen, Lat and Yvan.   I think we have 4 pretty solid reserves that will see quite a bit of time in Webster, Thor, Stevenson and Walker.   There's alot of versatility and flexibility in the lineup with some of those guys.

I think Arop can carve out a role too as the 10th guy in certain minutes.   Andre, to me, will play as well, but more match-up specific and foul trouble related.   I don't see Wood playing much at all this year and of course Lakes is sitting out.

Think it was mentioned that we went from easily being the shortest team in the league last year to the second tallest (in terms of average height) this year.   And it's not just at the 4 or 5.   We got bigger all over.  

It's a new roster and we're coming off the worst season in program history and the Big 10 is a monster.....but there's some very valid reasons for hope.

Worried about the shooting with that starting lineup.  Yvan is a complete non-shooter.  Banton (unless he has improved immensely) is a very poor shooter and Trey was never a consistent shooter at Pitt (about 31% from 3 which is very poor).  Allows defense to sag off on defense and clog the paint making it very difficult for guys to dribble penetrate. 

7 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Worried about the shooting with that starting lineup.  Yvan is a complete non-shooter.  Banton (unless he has improved immensely) is a very poor shooter and Trey was never a consistent shooter at Pitt (about 31% from 3 which is very poor).  Allows defense to sag off on defense and clog the paint making it very difficult for guys to dribble penetrate. 

That is going to be our weakness regardless of who Fred puts on the court.  Adding Lakes and Tominaga for 2021 will be nice, but this year's team doesn't have enough shooters on it to truly spread the floor.  I expect we're still a year away from running the offense the way the coaches really want to.

2 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

That is going to be our weakness regardless of who Fred puts on the court.  Adding Lakes and Tominaga for 2021 will be nice, but this year's team doesn't have enough shooters on it to truly spread the floor.  I expect we're still a year away from running the offense the way the coaches really want to.

I agree this team still lacks shooters, but a lineup of Kobe, Banton, Allen, Thor and Lat is intriguing to me.   Enough ball-handling and fire-power to put up points, and though a bit small, should have enough size to compete on defense and rebounding.  When examining the PF/C spots, must remember that Banton is 6'9".  Even though he may play guard on offense, he can still guard opposing PF or most teams (unless they have a complete bruiser).  This allows Lat to play 5 and Kobe, Allen and Thor to match up with opposing guards/wings. 

2 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I agree this team still lacks shooters, but a lineup of Kobe, Banton, Allen, Thor and Lat is intriguing to me.   Enough ball-handling and fire-power to put up points, and though a bit small, should have enough size to compete on defense and rebounding.  When examining the PF/C spots, must remember that Banton is 6'9".  Even though he may play guard on offense, he can still guard opposing PF or most teams (unless they have a complete bruiser).  This allows Lat to play 5 and Kobe, Allen and Thor to match up with opposing guards/wings. 

I imagine we will see this lineup on the floor at times.  Not the best shooting lineup in the world, but every one of those guys can at least keep the defense honest-ish.

Allen and Lat can shoot the 3.   Banton &McGowen are slashers and backdoor cutters.     Yvan can work the paint, popup high for picks.   Thor,Kobe and Stevenson can shoot the 3 and provide offense off the bench.   

If you want a 3rd shooter to start you could start Stevenson at the 4 and Lat at 5  or you could go Thor at the 2 instead of McGowans.   I would keep Banton in to start because he creates matchup problems and I want to see how teams defend him right from the get go.   Plus I think Banton and Webster are the 2 best floor generals and want at least one of them on the court at all times. 

I think there is still a question on pure shooters on this roster, but I'm not really all that worried about it.  Lat supposedly can hit.   Teddy is a scorer.   I think guys like McGowans, Webster and Banton are at worst decent shooters.   Stevenson was known as a guy who can hit from the outside.   Thor proved to be a very good shooter last year.   The added length and ability is going to create more space for a lot of these guys.   

This would be an interesting conversation to come back to halfway through the season.  I can give you the poor shooting stats for most of these guys, but the obvious counter-argument is that Fred has proven able to drastically improve players' outside shots.  We'll see how it plays out, but my guess is that the "hole in the roster" that we will all be lamenting in February is for a deadeye shooter.

25 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think there is still a question on pure shooters on this roster, but I'm not really all that worried about it.  Lat supposedly can hit.   Teddy is a scorer.   I think guys like McGowans, Webster and Banton are at worst decent shooters.   Stevenson was known as a guy who can hit from the outside.   Thor proved to be a very good shooter last year.   The added length and ability is going to create more space for a lot of these guys.   

At Western KY Banton shot 21% from 3 and 56% from the line, and (at least as of last year), his form was atrocious.  I have a lot of high hopes for Banton as an all-around ball-handler/slasher/passer/rebounder.  But unless Fred has some magic dust in his pocket, not counting on him being anywhere close to a decent shooter from the outside.  Especially considering that "decent" in today's game should be at least 35% from 3.  Hope I'm wrong and he has significantly improved his shot.

35% is not average or decent, that is a good shooter and would put in the top 100 nationally.

I could see Webster, Trey, Teddy, Banton, and Lat playing a lot together. That gives you 3 good shooters, one average shooter, and whatever Banton turns out to be. Trey and Webster created a lot of their own shots so I think they will get better looks and hopefully better %s.