Alex Gordon to retire

jimmykc

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I haven't taken the time to look this up but would be interested in whether Gordon or Erstad will be perceived to have had the better major league career for a UNL grad.?

That's a good question.  I'll go for Ersty in this case (despite the fact that Gordo had the objectively better numbers) simply because Erstad played in much bigger cities for all of his career.  Also, Erstad won the Silver Slugger, Gordo didn't.

Ersty won Gold Gloves as both a center fielder and first baseman. Gordo switched from third base to become the Gold standard of left fielders with 7 Gold Gloves.

Ersty had the much higher ceiling, especially with what he did in 2000. And Gordo had the better small-market career by playing in K.C. his whole career. Both won the World Series, Darin in 2002 & Alex in 2015.

Tough decision as they both excelled at the roles taken on for their respective franchises, in my opinion. Both Ersty & Gordo are highly respected by their ballclubs & fandom.

And, closely looking over their career stats on "Baseball Reference," the pair of former Huskers really don't seem all that far off from each other while both played for 14 years at the highest level. They're my top two, as far as favorite Husker baseball players who played in the Majors.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/erstada01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gordoal01.shtml