Introducing the Nebrasketbubble

hhcmatt

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Man-- the way that this is shaking out, we're going to be one of the bottom level teams Ken Pom wise.  I think we'll be pretty competitive this year.

I would expect us to start off the year ranked a little lower than the 162 spot we finished up at last year too.  Probably in the 180's if I'd have to guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, 49r said:

I would expect us to start off the year ranked a little lower than the 162 spot we finished up at last year too.  Probably in the 180's if I'd have to guess.

180s on KenPom? We'll be much higher in the preseason than last year's train wreck. We're 104 on T-Rank preseason, which is similar, a jump of maybe 30 points since McGowens' waiver. His addition is huge.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:12 PM, hskr4life said:

Jon Rothstein had a concerning tweet about all early season tournaments being cancelled.  I hope that's not the case because I am looking forward to Nebraska hosting!

Almost positive this only applied to the ESPN tourneys in Orlando.  Seems the crux of the matter was that all the conferences have different standards for when/if guys should be tested.

Our particular tourney is pending on the B1G and I have to think that if the B1G decides that none of its teams can play before a certain date or outside of conference that Nebraska will still host the tourney without our basketball team.

I think the biggest hurdle to this tournament happening is getting Big 10 approval to do it.   GIven the conference attitude about football it is hard to be optimistic about this actually happening.   I think the fact that Orlando gave up on hosting all the tourney's that planned to move there actually makes it less likely that the one at NU will actually happen.

That said I am not sure about the excitement of NU hosting this event is all that well founded.  If it does happen I would expect very few - if any fans to be admitted to the games.    I have had season BB tickets to NU games for pretty much my entire life - but not really planning to be able to actually attend games live this year.   Just don't see a situation where any significant number of fans would be allowed to attend at the same time - and frankly if they were under the current circumstances I would not want to be one of those fans.

1 hour ago, HuskerBB said:

I think the biggest hurdle to this tournament happening is getting Big 10 approval to do it.   GIven the conference attitude about football it is hard to be optimistic about this actually happening.   I think the fact that Orlando gave up on hosting all the tourney's that planned to move there actually makes it less likely that the one at NU will actually happen.

That said I am not sure about the excitement of NU hosting this event is all that well founded.  If it does happen I would expect very few - if any fans to be admitted to the games.    I have had season BB tickets to NU games for pretty much my entire life - but not really planning to be able to actually attend games live this year.   Just don't see a situation where any significant number of fans would be allowed to attend at the same time - and frankly if they were under the current circumstances I would not want to be one of those fans.

I agree that Big 10 conference/approval is an unknown but disagree that the Orlando tournaments that were cancelled is any sort of indicator for Nebraska's tournament.  Keep in mind that the big obstacle for Orlando, from what I know, is that teams from various conferences could not agree on testing parameters and protocols.  These tournaments were organized by various tournament sponsors at least a year in advance and before covid was a reality.  It's not surprising that a collection of teams placed into a tournament could not agree on testing as different conferences have different requirements and, more importantly, resources.  Teams that choose to participate in Nebraska's tournament will have to abide by testing parameters and protocols that were established in advance; meaning, these teams know what they are signing up for and will have to abide by a unified set of rules established from the outset.  The teams in the Orlando tournaments did not have this luxury.

Regarding fan interest, I would suspect there is strong interest in this basketball team and tournament regardless of whether fans can attend.  The koolaid is flowing this season, much more than before last season, and I think there will be general excitement to see how much better this team is.  Remember, Doc warned us last year before the season that "Rome wasn't built in a day".  There were no such warnings to heed this year and based on the mood of this board and from what I've read and heard from local reporters, it sounds like there is general optimism this team will definitely be better and perhaps sneaky good.  

Anyways, maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm super excited for basketball in less than a month!

Hope you're right, but I believe Sipple mentioned a few weeks ago that the B1G was looking at a 24-game conference slate. Add in an ACC-B1G challenge, and that's the 25 max for this season.

Pac 12 & Big 12 have released schedules. We are hearing crickets from the B1G., re: Izzo's comments from the other day. 

Until proven otherwise, I expect the B1G to take the opposite of the move that the other leagues would take.

15 minutes ago, throwback said:

Hope you're right, but I believe Sipple mentioned a few weeks ago that the B1G was looking at a 24-game conference slate. Add in an ACC-B1G challenge, and that's the 25 max for this season.

Pac 12 & Big 12 have released schedules. We are hearing crickets from the B1G., re: Izzo's comments from the other day. 

Until proven otherwise, I expect the B1G to take the opposite of the move that the other leagues would take.

You get 27 games if you participate in a MTE, 25 if you don't.  The conference could schedule 25 conference games and we'd still have the bandwidth for 2 more.

17 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I agree that Big 10 conference/approval is an unknown but disagree that the Orlando tournaments that were cancelled is any sort of indicator for Nebraska's tournament.  Keep in mind that the big obstacle for Orlando, from what I know, is that teams from various conferences could not agree on testing parameters and protocols.  These tournaments were organized by various tournament sponsors at least a year in advance and before covid was a reality.  It's not surprising that a collection of teams placed into a tournament could not agree on testing as different conferences have different requirements and, more importantly, resources.  Teams that choose to participate in Nebraska's tournament will have to abide by testing parameters and protocols that were established in advance; meaning, these teams know what they are signing up for and will have to abide by a unified set of rules established from the outset.  The teams in the Orlando tournaments did not have this luxury.

Regarding fan interest, I would suspect there is strong interest in this basketball team and tournament regardless of whether fans can attend.  The koolaid is flowing this season, much more than before last season, and I think there will be general excitement to see how much better this team is.  Remember, Doc warned us last year before the season that "Rome wasn't built in a day".  There were no such warnings to heed this year and based on the mood of this board and from what I've read and heard from local reporters, it sounds like there is general optimism this team will definitely be better and perhaps sneaky good.  

Anyways, maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm super excited for basketball in less than a month!

Good points regarding the potential difference between the Orlando tournament situation and the one we are trying to put together.   I do hope that difference is sufficient to produce a different result.

I agree to the extent that the enthusiasm for the tournament is tied to enthusiasm about the upcoming season.  I share that enthusiasm as well.  Believe me when it comes to NU basketball I drink as much koolaid as anyone - and have done so for decades now. :).    But that is based on Nebraska participating in a basketball event - independent of where it is located.  My point was simply related to any excitement tied to the location of the event in Lincoln.

Looks like Washut published an article behind the paywall on rivals on this - headline says the tournament is still on, but waiting on B1G approval.

I mean this has been on the desk of the B1G for only roughly 6 weeks, so they are certainly being thorough. 🤪🤪

Anyway, not sure why B1G would be in a hurry. I mean we're still 20 days from the start date. They can take another 19 days to decide what to do ... and they just might.