Introducing the Nebrasketbubble

hhcmatt

Nebraska will reportedly be pulling out of the Myrtle Beach tourney and hosting their own tourney here in Lincoln

OWH is reporting that we're targeting regional teams. UNO might make it in the bubble and then Creighton might need to decide if they're going to stick with their tourney which is now in South Dakota.  There also might be fans involved.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/huskers-planning-to-hold-college-basketball-tournament-in-lincoln/article_0afca20f-f3dd-5517-8604-ec75c6b2e884.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Baller move by the athletic department. Hat tip to Bill Moos.

On 9/24/2020 at 5:27 AM, HuskerActuary said:

Definitely a cool opportunity. Slight drawback, I assume all of the games would count as home games for the NET, RPI, etc and thus be less valuable from that perspective.

I was listening to Robins podcast for HOL the other day and they were saying with limited games in the non conference and some expected games that will be canceled due to COVID testing the committee won’t be relying on that data as much as they will rely on their eyes watching games. 

On 9/25/2020 at 6:42 PM, TheKamdyMan said:

I was listening to Robins podcast for HOL the other day and they were saying with limited games in the non conference and some expected games that will be canceled due to COVID testing the committee won’t be relying on that data as much as they will rely on their eyes watching games. 

Ratings to apply retroactively to the 2017-18 squad:

• Net Rankings
  • Eye Test

On 9/23/2020 at 3:27 PM, 49r said:

Wonder if they would think about moving the K-State game from T-Mobile Arena (still getting used to saying that) in KC this December up to PBA?

I hope not as already have my hotel reservations and was planning a road trip to KC.  But agree, most likely it probably will be canceled and they will be asked to be part of this tournament instead.

19 minutes ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

Could that be an indication that KSU and CU could be coming to Lincoln for the 2020 "Ameritas Classic"?

I miss Big 8 basketball.

I'm not sure we want to mess with the Buffs this year, sounds like they're gonna be really good.  I think they're gonna have like 5 Seniors returning from a team that was projecting to be an 8 seed in the NCAA tournament last year.

I'd rather see Iowa State and K State...maybe Mizzou?

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I'm not sure we want to mess with the Buffs this year, sounds like they're gonna be really good.  I think they're gonna have like 5 Seniors returning from a team that was projecting to be an 8 seed in the NCAA tournament last year.

I'd rather see Iowa State and K State...maybe Mizzou?

But what if you set them up on the other side of the bracket? If we make it through our side and get to meet them in the final that would be pretty sweet no? Anyone have a clue about how many teams we think this might be?

25 minutes ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

I thought I read somewhere that there could be 8, or even 16 possible teams.  A real tournament.

Man 16 team would awesome. I too miss Big 8 basketball. Watching Phillips 66 Big 8 basketball on Saturdays.  I would welcome any team from the old Big 8 in this tournament. In my view the more the merrier. And then tell Crieghton they're not welcome in our tournament 😂

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

So likely teams geographically and from them pulling out of other tournaments are...

UNO, K-State, Colorado, Iowa State (?)

Will likely see some mid-majors in there as well.  Wonder who else might be involved.  Really excited to see the field.

So this is a list of all the D1 colleges in states that border Nebraska plus D1 colleges in Oklahoma. Assuming (not so secretly hoping) 16 teams will be included one could create a hell of a tournament from this list 😀

University of Colorado
Colorado State University
University of Denver
University of Northern Colorado
Air Force

Drake University
University of Iowa
Iowa State University
University of Northern Iowa

University of Kansas
Kansas State University
Wichita State University