Husker Sports Nightly w/Fred Hoiberg Recap

hhcmatt

HCFH back on Sports Nightly with Greg Sharpe for the first time since April 2020

Full Audio: 

Recap

Greg starts off the segment with some standard 'haven't talked to you in a while' banter but HCFH quickly gets to work detailing the summer

• Brief overview of the process to get everyone back on campus and cleared to work out
  • Strategically brought guys back in waves and early on focused on individual skill work
  • Currently have full practices going
  • Nebraska Athletic Performance Laboratory Assistant Director Chris Bach is working with the team on managing workloads. They use the Catapult system (those things that look like sports bras in some of the practice photos you see) which tracks movements and workloads which allows the staff to construct a week to the point where they'll shut guys down who hit their limits. Every Monday they do a jump test to see if there is any fatigue. For example one Monday the guys came in and the numbers backed up the fatigue the coaches could see so they changed to a recovery style week of practice.
  • Doesn't know when the season will start.  Guesses that the late November date recently announced will work as many universities will be closing around Thanksgiving which will create a bubble type environment for the players.

On training table being closed down

• Obviously not ideal but they have 'fueling stations' that have protein bars/shakes. One upside is that any academic advisors are going directly to the Hendrix Center

On this year's team

• Much longer, more athleticism , still trying to figure it out how the team all fits together
  • Mentions the teams basketball IQ which leads him into Kobe Webster. Notes his leadership skills, communication, and a guy who can make shots
  • Lat Mayan was a double-double guy last year at JUCO and recently made 86 3s in a 100 shot shooting drill. Hoiberg had never seen anyone make so many. (Kobe Webster noted on twitter that he made 74) He's a guy who can really stretch the floor at his position.
  • Teddy Allen can score, a 3 level scorer. HCFH even complemented his mid-range game.
  • Akol "looks really good"
  • They're going to file Trey McGowens' waiver this week

Talked about Covid related issues like scheduling, guys being smart about not being in high risk situations, recruiting remotely.  They're on some "high level kids" for 2021 (we currently have one open scholarhip)

View full article

Lat canning 86/100 treys in practice is incredible.  My optimism for him to be a starter just increased.  Gotta think he at a minimum is in the core rotation, but I guess that argument can be made for just about everyone on the roster at this point.

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Lat canning 86/100 treys in practice is incredible.  My optimism for him to be a starter just increased.  Gotta think he at a minimum is in the core rotation, but I guess that argument can be made for just about everyone on the roster at this point.

Seems encouraging that he might be the consistent 3pt threat we hoped we were getting in Kavas.  He'll easily be an upgrade there in terms of rim protection and rebounding. We'll see about basketball IQ though meeting/surpassing Kavas there isn't asking a lot.

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Seems encouraging that he might be the consistent 3pt threat we hoped we were getting in Kavas.  He'll easily be an upgrade there in terms of rim protection and rebounding. We'll see about basketball IQ though meeting/surpassing Kavas there isn't asking a lot.

Good point in regards to the upgrade in addition to the shooting and pushing 6'9 helps. 

I am very cautiously optimistic about this team.  But here are some very random thoughts:

* I hope I can watch them live and in person (each and every home game).

* While we are hoping and believing that our team will be much improved over last year, most other Big Ten teams hope and believe their teams will  be vastly improved as well.

* It is good that we are optimistic...lord knows my rose colored glasses have been put to good use over the years...but lest not forget that 1) we have a new team and chemistry is as important as talent; 2) last year many of our players sat out; 3) last year many of our players played against lower level competition; and lastly, 3) we must compete in the toughest conference in college basketball.

Sooo...the season should prove interesting and challenging...if it is played.

image.png