Message from the Nebraska Basketball Team

hhcmatt

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

For anyone's future reference this is equivalent to throwing on your hazard lights in a tow away zone.

To circle back, right, wrong or indifferent what the guys said was what they said. To me there is more meaning in having to collect, process, and state your own thoughts and opinions than reciting them from someone else. That's sort of the point of an university education.

You are allowed to have your own thoughts today? I thought you had to do and say exactly what your political party said.

• 3 months later...

This topic was about a Nebraska Basketball press conference that included the Nebraska Basketball team and the Nebraska Basketball head coach. It was covered by everyone who covers Nebraska Basketball, including Huskers.com. First I summarized what was said at the conference.  Then I went on to offer thoughts, including trying to tie this into the overall prospects of our team.   I purposely constructed my posts to the best of my ability to give no political views to what could be considered to be a political statement by the team. 

This isn't a message board for political views though I could understand why they might be expressed here in this germane topic.

Everyone can have differing political viewpoints or opinions on anything in life.  It's how you react and respect those opinions and beliefs which don't align with yours.  I think everyone would be better off if they just followed the simple mantra our team put forth a few years ago...Hate Will Never Win.  Or, just follow the golden rule.  Either work and both equally effective.

13 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Everyone can have differing political viewpoints or opinions on anything in life.  It's how you react and respect those opinions and beliefs which don't align with yours.  I think everyone would be better off if they just followed the simple mantra our team put forth a few years ago...Hate Will Never Win.  Or, just follow the golden rule.  Either work and both equally effective.

Twitter, for example, is a great forum for sharing political views. And while you offer some nice sentiments and platitudes about following the golden rule and so forth, we had reached, I thought, an understanding years ago not to delve into politics on this particular forum. Back then, it was I who overstepped the line and arguably delved into politics and I have steadfastly avoided political topics on this forum ever since. I've kept up my end of the deal. Unfortunately, some of the people who chastised me back then have participated in discussions since then that overstep the line as well. Including some people on this thread, which is why I asked upthread what the rules are.

You can argue that it's topical if it's the basketball team doing it. But a blatant political act is still a political act even if performed by someone outside the political arena. So, Steve Kerr's comments about the US and China, for example, aren't really germane to a discussion about Golden State Warriors basketball. And you can say, I suppose, that this topic isn't really political. I would disagree and others would as well as explained more eloquently in the video linked below:

BLM & 'white privilege' banned from schools as minister blasts Labour - YouTube