This is a conversation I think we need to have.

As most of you know, if Covid hadn't occurred, the opening game of the 2020 Nebraska football season would probably have been this weekend.

I don't know about you guys, but I might just tailgate anyway, darn it.  There's sure to be a full game on Youtube somewhere; hopefully it's a game we won. (I mean, who wants to watch a full game we lost on Youtube? Amiright?)

But even if I don't, I'm still in the mood to offer some predictions about what isn't going to happen this weekend.

I think the first game might have been against something like Troy. Does anyone know? It doesn't really matter. In any event, I think we would have won and I'm going with a final score of 56-10. I think the defense would have started out pretty strong, and would have gone for the shutout, but a muffed punt in the 4th quarter by our back-up return man puts Troy in position to score their only touchdown and then they convert the onside kick and get in FG range to close out the scoring and put a damper on an otherwise fine outing for the Huskers.

Adrian Martinez would have looked pretty good, I think, and would have seemed to be passing the ball around a lot better than he did a year ago. That starting tailback, whatshisname, doesn't look too bad, either. Pretty impressive run he would have had on that third down play where he got loose and scored from 40 yards out. Don't know about you, but I'm already looking forward to game #2 that isn't going to happen. Who are we not playing that week?

18 hours ago, hskr4life said:

The full game where Martinez ran wild on KSU on a Thursday night is on YouTube.  Trust me-- I went to school at KSU and played it often.

That is a highlight tape I have watched over and over.

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm not going to ruin it for you and tell you how it all ends but I will tell you that Steve Spurrier cries after the last game.

When Danny Wuerffel spoke on the field after the game, did he really recite "not the victory but the action, not the goal but the game, in the deed the glory."?  That's what I thought he was saying but I couldn't hear very clearly since I was on the field at the time.  He lived in Lincoln for a couple years growing up, so it would make sense.

15 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

When Danny Wuerffel spoke on the field after the game, did he really recite "not the victory but the action, not the goal but the game, in the deed the glory."?  That's what I thought he was saying but I couldn't hear very clearly since I was on the field at the time.  He lived in Lincoln for a couple years growing up, so it would make sense.

Yes. He did. That's true. He lost a bet with Jason Peter is how I understood it.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

The only Bowl game I’ve ever been to was the ‘95 Orange Bowl (the last played AT the Orange Bowl) when we handed Ray Lewis & Warren Sapp their Asses in the 4th quarter. Went to the players Hotel after the game where Tomich/Wistrom we’re behind the bar serving Martinis 🍸...

Leavng that game, the guy walking down the street who was  right in front of me got an extra treat from the halftime show. He stepped right in a huge pile left by the elephants. I’m guessing he had an unpleasant ride back to the hotel.